PDA

View Full Version : vacuum question

curtis rosche
05-01-2009, 4:11 PM
ok. so i got every thing sealed on my vacuum system except the "sealed bearing". i know you cant glue it since it has the be able to move. but it there like a gel or a paste or grease that can be put on it, it would seal it and probably be slowly sucked through the bearing but i can live with that if i get better sucktion. right now i am at 12hg with the chuck end sealed.

John Fricke
05-01-2009, 4:45 PM
Curtis,
do you know for sure if your leak is through the bearing seal or could it be leaking around the bearing.
My guess would be that the bearing seal was not designed to handle vacuum. You probably sucked it out of it's sealing surface. Before you spend much time and money on it I would consider a commercially made rotary adaptor. I got mine for $45 including freight.
If you want to continue with your home made unit I have a suggestion. I hope I can explain it well enough for you to understand. I'm thinking you need a supporting shoulder to prevent the bearing seal from being pulled away. Perhaps a large fender washer with a small internal hole would work? It would need to have approximately the same O.D. as your bearing.

Ken Glass
05-01-2009, 4:58 PM
Curtis,
If everything else was taken apart and refitted tight with Teflon tape, then try removing the rotary adapter and put your finger over the hose that connects to it and see what vacuum you can reach. If it goes to 25hg or higher, then that's where your leak is, and I would follow John's advice at that point.

Bernie Weishapl
05-01-2009, 5:56 PM
Curtis like Ken said take the hose off at the bearing and put your finger over it. If the Hg's go way up I would do like John said and get a commerical bearing unit. I am thinking the bearings you have will not work in this application.

Jason Clark2
05-01-2009, 6:48 PM
Several of us have had good luck with a bearing available at your local Lowe's store.

Double sealed bearing for Ace Pump (Lowe's Drawer #K10)
Part #99502-H - $7.10

Jason

curtis rosche
05-03-2009, 9:36 AM
i guess i will have to go to lowes. i dont have any money to buy a commercial bearing unit now. the money has gone. the leak is at the bearing. i took it off and the needle went up to 25hg.

John Fricke
05-03-2009, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=curtis rosche;1123873] the money has gone. QUOTE]

Isn't it funny how that happens as you get sucked into the vortex?

Reed Gray
05-03-2009, 1:25 PM
Curtis,
A friendly warning, you are just at the edge of the vortex...... More toys. The biggest difference between a man and a boy is the size and price of his toys.

robo hippy

Kyle Iwamoto
05-03-2009, 2:11 PM
Is your lathe running during all of your testing? There is a SMALL possibility that when you start the lathe spinning, the seal on the bearing will seal. Not knowing anything of your setup, some seals require relative movement to seal up. You can also try a small amount of light oil to see if that helps the seal. I've done some pretty bizzare leak testing......

Oh, did you try a hammer yet?:D