PDA

View Full Version : Another Lathe Question....

Eric Garner
05-01-2009, 2:32 PM
Ok, I've tried to do some searches, but couldn't come up with anything that would really help me. Hoping someone can take a few minutes to help me out.

The 20% off sale on Jet and Powermatic at Woodcraft has helped push me over the edge into turning. I want to go ahead and buy a lathe that will fill my needs for a long time. I don't want to start small and then 'upgrade'.

Now I've seen the suggestion to try out a variety of lathes before buying but seeing how I'm new to wood turning, I'm not sure this would be a great help. That being said, I will be attending the annual Turner's Day here in Atlanta tomorrow at the Dogwood Institute. I'm hoping to get plenty of info there.

Can someone please give me their opinion between the Jet 16" X 42" Wood Lathe Pro, Model JWL-1642EVS-2 2hp and the Powermatic 1352001 Model 3520B? There are some obvious differences between the two like the Comparator mounts on the powermatic and the ability to mount the 18" extension bed on the end for turning bowls. I think the powermatic also has a 20" swing.... Would I be better served to buy the Jet and use the ~$1,000 on turning tools and accessories that I will undoubtably need as I enter the world of turning? Or would the old rule of buy an expensive tool and cry once, buy a cheap tool and cry forever apply when comparing these two lathes?

Thanks for the help.

alex carey
05-01-2009, 2:42 PM
All three of those lathes are excellent top quality lathes.

The only difference between the first jet and the second jet is 1/2 hp. Otherwise they are the same.

The difference between the Powermatic is capacity to do 20" over the bed and 38" if you bolt the 18" down below. Also the Powermatic is just heftier in every way. I think it weighs like 200# more. Chances are if you get the Powermatic you will never need another lathe. BUT most people don't need a lathe bigger than the Jet. Even if every now and then you do a 20" bowl, if you get a free standing tool rest you can still slide the headstock of the jet down and turn there.

It all depends on you and what type of turning you want to do. Most people don't have access to green wood that is 20" in diameter, even when they do handling wood that big can be really tough.

Keep in mind once you buy the lathe you still have lots of other stuff to buy, at least one chuck, Several different turning tools(even more if you do hollowing), finishing products, faceplates and so on. Over time the lathe will be the cheapest thing.

Those are the chief differences, hope it helps.

David Walser
05-01-2009, 2:53 PM
The Powermatic 3520B represents the best value in full size lathes. It has the mass to handle large out of balance blanks. In addition, you can add a bed extension to handle very long spindles. Many professional turners use it as their primary lathe. You'll never outgrow it. (Well, okay, if you want to turn 48" plus bowls & platters, you might find the PM lacks the horse power to deal with that -- but so does virtually all the lathes on the market.)

Having sung the Powermatic's praises, the Jet is a wonderful lathe. It most likely is all the lathe you'll ever want or need. Few of us turn bowls larger than 14" on a regular basis -- and it's only on the larger stuff that the Powermatic distinguishes itself from the Jet. It's on these larger blanks that the greater mass and horse power of the Powermatic becomes a significant advantage. For virtually everything else, the Jet is the equal of the Powermatic. But, if you need to move your lathe "out" everytime you use it and move it "back" when you're through, you might appreciate the Jet's relative lack of mass! Weight's only an advantage when you're turning.

So, in the end, it comes down to what kind of things you're going to turn. You don't know that now. If you end up turning mostly smaller stuff -- bottle stoppers, Christmas ornaments, sub-14" bowls & hollow forms -- the Jet is the better buy. On the other hand, if you want the flexibility to turn something larger when the fancy strikes, you'll be happier with the Powermatic.

Both are fine lathes.

Hope this helps.

Wally Dickerman
05-01-2009, 3:03 PM
Eric, no one can really answer your question. No one, including you, knows what kind of turning you will eventually be doing. It really gets down to how much money you want to spend. The difference in the cost will obviously get you a lot more lathe in some ways with the PM. Heavier weight, more capacity, plus more.

I can tell you that very few turners ever require more than the 16 inch swing the Jet will give you. If you took a poll here I think that most turners seldom turn over 12 dia. in their bowls and HF's.

Bear in mind that your eventual outlay in cash will include a lot more than the lathe itself. Tools, chucks, additional toolrests, calipers, extra faceplates, screw chucks, sharpening jigs and more.

I don't know how old you are or how deeply invlolved you will get into turning, but don't let anyone tell you a lathe that you buy today will be your last. In my long lifetime in turning (9 lathes, 1 at a time), there have been a lot of new innovations in lathes. Especially in the past few years. And there will be many more.

Good luck,

Wally

Scott Conners
05-01-2009, 3:04 PM
They don't call it the vortex for nothing...there are a LOT of extras and different tools and accessories that quickly become "necessary" as you advance. Expect to spend 1/2 again what you paid for the lathe in other tools and accessories over a few years. Both are completely professional, very good quality machines, both made by WMH tool group. If you're of the "bigger is better" bent, the PM might be the better choice, and I think the outboard solution on the PM is really nice. The Jet's headstock is a bit smaller, I've heard a few comments by new PM owners surprised by the size of the PM headstock.

Either is good, get what fits your budget and expected use best.

Thom Sturgill
05-01-2009, 4:05 PM
The smaller jet (JWL-1642EVS 1 1/2hp) uses 115v while both the 2hp jet and the PM need 220v, if that's a consideration. If not, I would go for the 2HP Jet over the 1 1/2hp and the PM over either Jet. That said, since I use a Jet 1220, I would love to have any of them :).

Jim Kountz
05-01-2009, 4:13 PM
Thats a tough call actually. I have the Jet EVS and love everything about it. Only once or twice did I have a blank larger than the 16" capacity. The 2hp motor is all you will need for any kind of turning. I do large bowls and core them with no bogging down or stalling to amount to anything. The PM is a mighty fine lathe and will handle larger blanks but again how often will you be doing that? If I were ever to upgrade I would go huge like to a 24" lathe but thats just because of the type of turning I do. Large bowls and coring.
If money is not an issue go for the PM, if you want to save a few bucks and still have a top notch lathe, get the Jet and take the money you saved and buy some tools and chucks.

Bernie Weishapl
05-01-2009, 6:10 PM
I was in the same situation a couple of years ago. If you have 220 in your shop I would go for the Jet 1642 2 hp. Yes the PM is bigger, will turn bigger but I have found that bowls over 15" to 16" don't really sell well at all at least around here. IMHO take the extra $1000 to buy some nice tools and accessories such as chucks, faceplates, etc.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-01-2009, 10:47 PM
I wish I was in your position. I can't afford either one. Maybe in the future, I'll be able to.

The dream lathe for me would be the PM, fits somewhat into the budget, and from what everyone says, good performance per dollar. You will need a shop to go around it, which I also don't have. For me, the most practical choice would be the 110V Jet, since it is 110V, it would be no problem to move (form place to place). Realistically, I probably won't use more than the 16 inch swing. Therefore won't need that extra 1/2 hp. I floated that thought past the wife today, just before out lunch date, and I didn't get a resounding NO! So maybe it's not so distant future for me....

Questions I asked myself, Where is it going to go (space wise), what am realistically going to turn, how much money. If you are thinking of selling, get the PM. Spending 3 grand to turn gifts is a bit much IMO.... Just my .02.

Welcome! Turning is very addictive......

Mark Norman
05-01-2009, 11:22 PM
. That being said, I will be attending the annual Turner's Day here in Atlanta tomorrow at the Dogwood Institute. I'm hoping to get plenty of info there.

Ask lots of questions while yer there.

I am a novice (beginer realy) but I got sucked into the vortex as well. I think any one of the three would have fit the bill for me but being who I am I would have to go with more power <insert Tim the tool man grunt here> ...so I decided to build my own;)

Burt Alcantara
05-02-2009, 12:51 AM
I'm assuming you will be buying the lathe through Woodcraft. In any case, Woodcraft gives a lot of turning classes. Ask them what lathes they have. If they have either or both then take a basic bowl class and ask to turn on the Jet or PM.

I took a few classes before I got my first lathe, a Nova 1624. I turned on the PM for a basic box class. At that time, the PM was about $3500 plus shipping, which was out of my league at the time.

Subsequently, I've turned on the Jet and a few Oneways. Still loved the PM the best. So, almost 2 years to the day, I bought the PM and sold the Nova.

For me, the PM is right. It appeals to me visually and it feels right in my hands. The ergonomics fit me to a T more so then any of the lathes I've turned on to date. Of course, it didn't hurt that I got a great deal on it thru ToolNut.

This is one reason why it is important to try before you buy. You may have a similar feeling with the Jet. You may love both. You may hate both and buy a Stubby. I was close to buying a Stubby but couldn't get close to one. Didn't want to spend $6k blindly so I went with the PM which I knew would make me very happy.

Burt

Alan Tolchinsky
05-02-2009, 2:22 PM
Hi All, I was just wondering why some are recommending this? Does .5 hp make that much of a difference? I think there is a $400 price for the bigger one. And it has a more complex motor system with the converter that could mean more maintenance in the future. Just wondering? Alan