PDA

View Full Version : Looking for miter saw blade recommendations.

Jonah Decker
05-01-2009, 2:18 PM
I am shopping for a new blade for my miter saw ( Bosch 12 in compound miter) Any recommendations or great deals out there? I am leaning towards a Freud Ultimate Cutoff II. Thanks guys.
Jonah

Jonah Decker
05-02-2009, 12:29 AM
I guess I should add that I am leaning toward the Freud Ultimate cutoff II because it has been the best blade I have used. However I don't have any experience with Forrest or CMT. Any reviews would be appreciated. Also I would like a blade that doesn't deflect to badly in hard woods.

Gene Howe
05-02-2009, 8:43 AM
I use that blade in it's 10" size. I love it. No deflection noted in 8/4 or 4/4 material (oak).
I have a Tenryu replacement waiting, but haven't needed it.

Dave Sweeney
05-02-2009, 9:01 AM
+1 on the Freud LU85.

scott spencer
05-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Jonah - I have no doubt that the LU85 is excellent, but I also have no doubt that the Infinity 012-190 (http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1201)is just as excellent, and it's on sale for $90 plus s/h...get the order to $100 and shipping is free. As a comparison, the LU85 is $125 shipped from Amazon, the Forrest Mitermaster starts at $119 shipped, Forrest Chopmaster is $136, the Forrest Duraline is $158, the Ridge Carbide (http://www.holbren.com/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=2&catid=51) 80T is ~ $117 shipped from Holbren after "SMC10" discount. I consider these blades all top shelf and roughly comparable....none of these blades should deflect in hardwoods.

Sean Ackerman NY
05-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Jonah, I have to put my two cents in for the Freud Industrial Line (LU Blades) and Tenryu Silencer Blades. Tenryu retails in the store for about $90, and that's when it's not on sale. We've had a ton of success with the line and my local contractors and especially trim / production millwork guys LOVE the silencers. Every blade is hand inspected down to every single tooth. They currently use (someone let me know if I'm mistaken) some of the highest quality micro grain carbide out there, and incorporate some very nifty blade dampening technology. You get superb polished cuts. The grind on the teeth is also bar none.

Keep in mind, I also have guys that live and die by CMT fine finish blades. It's all personal preference.

Robert LaPlaca
05-02-2009, 10:57 AM
I own a Freud Lu85 12" and Forrest Chopmaster 12", both are excellent blades... But it depends on what you are cutting, if it is small mouldings and stock ~ 1" thick the LU85 wins hands down, cuts are like a baby's bottom, but the downside of this blade is it takes a tremendous amount of power from the saw.. I think from the very close side clearance in the grind actually polishes the cut edge..

Anything thicker the Chopmaster is the blade, uses much less power and can cut thicker stock, the cut quality is good, but not as good as the LU85..

As ironic as it may seem, after I had Forrest sharpen the LU85, I actually think it cuts better than new from the box..