PDA

View Full Version : More Woodburning Practice

Richard Madison
05-01-2009, 1:01 PM
Another piece that has been languishing on the burn pile shelf for a few years (hate the shape, and know what's wrong with it now), made a good candidate for more woodburning practice. Saw Kurt Bird's excellent piece on WoW, 4-19-09, and was inspired to emulate (blatantly copy) it (with Kurt's permission). Many brief sessions, as the pen gets uncomfortably hot within a few minutes. Still hate the shape and the lines are kinda lumpy and bumpy, but it was fun to try.

David Walser
05-01-2009, 2:07 PM
I like the vessel as it is. The lines seem to camouflage the flaws of the shape. You're so familiar with the piece you still see the flaws, but they're not apparent to me.

As long as you're just practicing, you might consider filling in some of your "blobs" al la Wally Dickerman's giraffe series. Here's a link: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=109292

Kurt Bird
05-01-2009, 6:20 PM
Richard,
That is very nice! I agree that you are being too hard on yourself. It's a good shape, and the designs are nice. Way to go!
Kurt

Bernie Weishapl
05-01-2009, 6:20 PM
Richard I like it although I would have made it flow a little more toward the foot and made it with a concave bottom. I would have narrowed the foot some. I like the burning on it.

Steve Schlumpf
05-01-2009, 8:02 PM
Looks pretty good to me! Reminds me of a section of a topographical map! I don't see anything wrong with the form on this one!

Richard Madison
05-01-2009, 9:18 PM
Thanks guys, especially Kurt for permission. I appreciate y'all's encouragement. David, my previous "woodburning practice" was indeed inspired by (blatant copy of) Wally Dickerman's giraffe style. Thought I posted it, but maybe not.

Still working on a new open stave ribbon form, but discovered need to "prototype" it, and the prototype has become a project unto itself. The shape is nothing like what I was going for, but have realized (I think) how to get there once the prototype is finished.