PDA

View Full Version : Router Bit Arbor Tightening

Jim Summers
05-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Hello All,

I have a new Freud 1/2" dia. router bit arbor/shank. It has the threaded nut and shims so that the bit can be changed out. The arbor itself does not have any flat spots so that it can be clamped while changing the bit out and tightening the nut. I used to have some old craftsman changeable bits that had a flat spot that I could clamp on to during bit changes.

Question: Should I wrap the arbor with a couple of wraps of blue tape and then clamp snugly in my vise? Or is there a better way?

I am concerned that I will scratch up the arbor and then that may eventually mess up the jaws in the router collet (sp) .

TIA

glenn bradley
05-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Hmmm, I think I am missing what you are asking about. Are you having issues tightening and loosening the collet's grip on the bits? Are you trying to remove the collet and change it to another one?

The newer Freuds use an arbor lock button to hold the arbor while the nut is worked with a wrench. Does you router not have this? I could just be a little thick right now but want to understand so I can try to help.

Rod Sheridan
05-01-2009, 1:10 PM
Chuck the bit in the router and carefully try removing the nut with a wrench.

The nut shouldn't be very tight, and should come off easily. If it doesn't, don't turn the nut so hard that the bit slips in the collet.

I wouldn't put in a vise or use pliers, that will deform the shaft shape.

When it is replaced, it only needs to be slightly more than finger tight. Routers only rotate in one direction so the nut doesn't need to be horsed on.

Regards, Rod.

Jim Summers
05-01-2009, 2:35 PM
Hmmm, I think I am missing what you are asking about. Are you having issues tightening and loosening the collet's grip on the bits? Are you trying to remove the collet and change it to another one?

The newer Freuds use an arbor lock button to hold the arbor while the nut is worked with a wrench. Does you router not have this? I could just be a little thick right now but want to understand so I can try to help.

Sorry, just my bad description. But Rod, in the post below this one, was able to figure me out. I have a freud 1/2" arbor that has a threaded stud and then shims and a nut to allow me to swap out cutter heads. I was concerned that if I clamp it in a vise and then over-tighten, it would slip in the vise jaws and cause a bur, or as Rod mentions, deform it in some fashion. Then it could screw up the jaws in the router's collet.

So, I will go with Rod's method.

Many Thanks

glenn bradley
05-01-2009, 3:19 PM
Good deal but, do tighten that bit in place with a wrench. Anyone who has had a bit move or come out, you know what I'm talking about. Don't crank it down with all your might. A good snug fit is fine. I run two-wrench routers and position the wrenches so that I can grab both with one hand. I just squeeze a bit tighter than I would while shaking hands. Now, I'm just a little fella so for some folks, that probably is finger tight :D.

Jim Summers
05-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Thought I would let ya'll know that by simply putting the arbor in the router collet and then tightening the cutter head using the router's collet lock to to hold everything, worked perfectly.

An awesomely simple solution.

SMC rocks!

Thanks again