PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Mobile Base

Charlie North
05-01-2009, 12:20 PM
I intend to make a base similar to this for a Jet Jwl-123 lathe.

http://www.stephensawyer.com/content/Woodworking/MobileBase.htm

I assume one would want to keep room for ones feet at the front of the lathe. Do you think a base built of 4"x4"s and designed like this is a good choice? (The 4x4s would go where the yellow lines are.)

I cannot find a similar design that sat on the base frame (4x4s in this case). When the lifting assembly raised it's end, the tilting caused the opposite ends wheels to contact the floor. That would be my design goal rather than the screw downs used above.

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss297/charlienorth/Jet%20JWL-1236%20Lathe/3.jpg

I have 4" rigid wheels for under the motor and headstock and 4" caster wheels for the raising assembly on the tailstock end.

If this is a blad plan or if you have a better idea, I'd be glad for the input!

Harvey M. Taylor
05-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Go to Harbor Freight and get the scissor lift automotive lift that mechanics use to install transmissions and jack it up under the ways. Good for moving heavy machinery around the shop and moving to clean around, then just move it back in place.Down and dirty negotiating will bring the price to around 200+ tax.Handy as a wife on laundry day. Max

David Walser
05-01-2009, 2:01 PM
Charlie,

I didn't follow your question. Are you intending to make a base that allows you to lower the wheels to move the lathe around and then raise them so the lathe stand is resting solidly on the floor (off the wheels)? If so, go for it. If you're planning on keeping the lathe supported on the wheels -- using locking casters or some such to keep the lathe from rolling -- I don't like the idea too much. Trying to keep the lathe from moving around with an out-of-balance load is difficult enough when the lathe is resting solidly on the floor. Trying to turn on a lathe that's on wheels is asking for trouble.

alex carey
05-01-2009, 2:31 PM
David walser is totally right,even if the casters are locking it still will more way too much. Unless you are going to be able to lower it down it's really not a good idea.

John Fricke
05-01-2009, 3:43 PM
Hey charlie,
check out these pics someone posted for me when I had questions on making my PM mobile.
http://picasaweb.google.com/dmshopshots/Jet1642LatheMobileCasters#

Charlie North
05-02-2009, 5:12 AM
I have a Sears transmission jack Harvey but hadn't considered using it to move the lathe.

Yes David. One pair of wheels would be on a 4x4 with a handle and eye hook similar to what is shown on the web page in the first post. The lathe would rest on 4x4s (yellow lines in picture) with the second pair of wheels on the headstock end an inch or less off the ground. Attaching the wheels at the tailstock end and levering them down would cause the headstock end wheels to also make ground contact.

My questions are is the concept sound and is the 4x4 placement structurally adequate. It seems to me the answer to both should be arrirmative but I'm no engineer.

That's a nifty design John! I'm tempted to go with that idea but with the hinged wheels inboard to avoid tripping over them.