PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Birch HF

Keith Burns
05-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Another spalted birch HF with ebony finial. I added a small ebony foot on this one. Measures 5" dia. x 12" tall. Finished with antique oil (http://www.thewows.com/isapi.dll?c=Content&htx=View&siteid=G6kOAI&contentid=ZZZZYZGX&contentclass=PICT&categoryid=0#) and buffed. Thanks for looking and comments/critiques always welcome.

Toney Robertson
05-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Sweet,

Toney

Ken Fitzgerald
05-01-2009, 1:05 PM
Keith...another beauty!

Quick dummy question about finials. When you make one...is the wood spindle fashion.....the grain run parallel to the bed of the lathe? I'm just having a hard time imagining getting that detail easily in faceplate fashioned wood.

Steve Schlumpf
05-01-2009, 1:28 PM
Beautiful work Keith! Love the form! Amazing how delicate you can get your finials! Thanks for the inspiration!

David Walser
05-01-2009, 1:54 PM
Keith,

I really like this hollow form. The spalting is accentuated by the long, tall, shape of the HF and the finial. Very well done.

Now for the question, with the ebony foot, could you have hollowed the form from both ends? Not that you'd do any such thing....

alex carey
05-01-2009, 2:32 PM
No critiques needed, by all means it looks perfect.

Brian Brown
05-01-2009, 3:36 PM
Keith,

Stunning! I really like your finials.

Keith Burns
05-01-2009, 3:50 PM
Keith...another beauty!

Quick dummy question about finials. When you make one...is the wood spindle fashion.....the grain run parallel to the bed of the lathe? I'm just having a hard time imagining getting that detail easily in faceplate fashioned wood.

You are correct, they are done just like a spindle. I do use a small set of jaws to hold them though. This one is actually made from two pieces. The top is made from a pen blank while the lid part is from a larger waste piece. Saves expensive wood.

Keith Burns
05-01-2009, 3:58 PM
Keith,

I really like this hollow form. The spalting is accentuated by the long, tall, shape of the HF and the finial. Very well done.

Now for the question, with the ebony foot, could you have hollowed the form from both ends? Not that you'd do any such thing....

David, I suppose you could hollow it from the bottom. I have never done this but a lot of people have. I may have to try it.

Bernie Weishapl
05-01-2009, 6:14 PM
Keith that is a beauty. Great looking finial. Like the form.

Robert McGowen
05-01-2009, 9:58 PM
The entire thing just flows together. Very nice.

BILL DONAHUE
05-02-2009, 10:17 PM
That's so impressive! It's what I'm shooting for; what I want to be doing. Sometimes when things slow down at work I check out your gallery just to study your turnings, and I really mean "study."

Curt Fuller
05-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Holy Smokes that's pretty!