PDA

View Full Version : New guys latest practice..

Dennis McGarry
05-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Ok well after spending the better part of the night reading and watching videos until my eyes hurt, I got up this morning and decided to practice some more.

This is the third thingy i turned and the second pic is the forth. I tried to see if I could make the ends the same, I think I came close. But with out a way to measure it I am not sure.. But My progress is getting better I think..

Thanks for looking..

http://content1.myyearbook.com/thumb_userimages/large/2009/05/01/11/thm_thm_phpc016C7.jpg
http://content1.myyearbook.com/thumb_userimages/large/2009/05/01/11/thm_thm_phpnAvQC5.jpg

Scott Hackler
05-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Looking good. I am reletivly new at this as well and I am constantly experimenting and trying new forms. I havent done much spindle work except for that other day I saw someone had made a wooded mallet, so I grabbed a piece of hickory from my smoker pile and turned away. It was fun and after my wife saw it she wanted something similar but smaller to grind herbs.. so my second spindle form....

Keep on playing around and you'll be surprized how fast the skill level increases. I can attest to that.

BTW, the first one looks like a pepper grinder.

Dennis McGarry
05-01-2009, 2:20 PM
OMG i didnt even think of that!

One of my first projects I want to do for real is a pepper mill. That basic desgin only bigger and wider at the base would be a sweet mill!

Think I will start calling the little turning Beta-Prototypes :)

alex carey
05-01-2009, 2:29 PM
Looking good, Practice, Practice, Practice

Bernie Weishapl
05-01-2009, 6:22 PM
Looking pretty good. Keep up the practice.

Mike Stephens
05-01-2009, 6:36 PM
But remember practice leads to the fast track down the vortex. Brace yourself. You may need a helmet.

Keep it up.

Steve Schlumpf
05-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Dennis - I believe the first one is officially known as a bonker. The second photo is that of a rare double bonker! Have fun! Experimenting is how we all learned!

Dennis McGarry
05-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Ok here is how new I am, what is a Bonker?

I am fairly sure it means absolutely nothing or something along that line...But note sure.

I do know that whatever they are, they have me hooked. I am heading out tomorrow to either WC or Rocklers to pick up the mandels, bushings and kits and going to work on a actual pen tomorrow night.

If anyone in northern Illinois has a band saw or a drill press laying around and want to sell it to a new comer cheap, please let me know..