PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine mounting problem

Robert Parrish
05-01-2009, 9:25 AM
I have a Delta 6" VS grinder model Gr275 and I'm having trouble mounting the Wolverine grinding jig because of the way the base is made on the Delta. It is diamond shaped and protrudes under the wheel and doesn't allow enough room to center the jig and maintain the 6 1/4" height required. Does anyone have this combo. Also how important is the 61/4" height requirement? I'm at 5" at the moment. Thanks.

Dave Schell
05-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Robert, this is a known problem with that grinder and the Wolverine. Curtis Rouche encountered the same issue just a few months ago and posted a thread here. Here is the link:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=106732&highlight=delta+grinder

Robert Parrish
05-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks Dave, lots of suggestions there but no real solution except to buy a new grinder. I have the jig centered but I only have 5 inches of height not 61/2 that is recommended. Well maybe I will buy the Woodcraft grinder.

John Altberg
05-01-2009, 12:52 PM
I had the same issue with my Delta grinder. Since the centering and height requirements are critical, I simply ground off the "diamond shape" of the grinder base and then drilled new through holes for mounting. You can then insert an appropriate thickness of wood under the grinder to get the proper lift and the tubes will fit directly under the wheels. A little spray paint and the base looks almost good as new. Took a little elbow grease, but sure beat buying a new grinder after getting such a good deal on it.

Paul Atkins
05-01-2009, 12:53 PM
I'd like to see anyone try the mounting 90 degrees to a wall or a bracket so there is nothing in the way and the height can be anything.

Robert Parrish
05-01-2009, 2:04 PM
John, I had thought about cutting off that point but seems like a lot of work! The grinder in new and and with my luck I would probably break the base.

curtis rosche
05-01-2009, 2:16 PM
the point of the jig is a repeatable grind. it will still work just that you will not be using the exact center of the grinding wheel. but a wider wheel will solve that

Dave Schell
05-01-2009, 4:40 PM
If it's not too late to return it and get a Woodcraft one, to me, that seems like the easiest solution.

Ryan Baker
05-01-2009, 9:57 PM
Getting it centered on the wheel is a lot more important than getting the height right. If you have to use this grinder, and don't want to cut the corners off the base, then raise the base up and mount the jig below the grinder in line with the wheels.

Robert Parrish
05-02-2009, 7:59 AM
Ryan, I have it centered but it is only 5" high not the 6 1/2 inches recommended in the instructions. It seem to work but I don't know if I'm changing the bevel of my tools. I think I will try to grind it off today and if that doesn't work buy the Woodcraft one. I just bought two Alan Lacer skews and don't want to damage them.

Burt Alcantara
05-02-2009, 9:10 AM
I'd say get the Woodcraft grinder regardless if you can return the Delta or not. Eventually, you'll find a good use for it.

I originally bought a Ryobi 3450 rpm grinder as my first grinder. Way too aggressive for me. After abusing for it for a while I threw in the towel and bought the Woodcraft. Night and day, as they say.

The Ryobi is buried under a bunch of things somewhere in the shop. Recently, I got interested in tool making so I may end up with a green silicon wheel which would be a perfect match for the Ryobi. In the end, I'll probably have 3 grinders - Tormek, Woodcraft and Ryobi.

My next project is to build a bank then rob it so I can pay for all of these things.

Burt

Robert Parrish
05-02-2009, 10:19 AM
I took a Sawsall to the Delta and now the Wolverine fits okay. The low speed is 2000-rpm I hope that is okay. Thanks everyone.

Ryan Baker
05-02-2009, 11:57 PM
I took a Sawsall to the Delta and now the Wolverine fits okay. The low speed is 2000-rpm I hope that is okay. Thanks everyone.

The speed is no problem at all. Lots of people use (and like) the 3450 rpm grinders, and that is usually on an 8" wheel (higher rim speed than your 6").

The height is only an issue in some circumstances. It depends on the tools you are sharpening and the jigs you are using. If you are able to present the tool to the wheel at the right angle, it doesn't matter that the height of the jig is not right. But with some jig/tool combinations, you may not have the range to get the tool to the wheel in the right position.

Glad you have yours sorted out. Happy sharpening.

Robert Parrish
05-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks Ryan, I think it would have been okay the way I had it with the exception of really long handled tools. One note, the bases are not marked left or right and I didn't look at the instructions carefully, so I had to take it all apart and reverse them. If all else fails follow instructions!

Ryan Baker
05-03-2009, 8:06 PM
Haha. Yes. I installed mine on the wrong sides at first too. Realized I had it backward as soon as I tried to install the jig. Guess I should have been paying attention when I did it.