PDA

View Full Version : Steel City or Jet?

Wayne Symons
05-01-2009, 8:38 AM
I am currently in the market to upgrade my benchtop drillpress.http://ncwoodworker.net/forums/f31/drill-press-22799/images/smilies/wacky/smile.gif

So far, I have narrowed it down to the Steel City 17" and the Jet JDP-17 DX 17".

The Steel City has received great reviews and has the 6" quill travel. It also has the split head which is pretty unique.

The Jet does have a larger table, built-in work light and a laser.

Both machines have the 16 speeds and 3/4HP motors.

Is there anyone out there who have either machine can give me their likes/dislikes of either drillpress?

With the current Steel City rebate the price is about $499, while the Jet with the upcoming 20% discount is down to about $408.

Any incite to the machines sure would help in the decision (besides the price differential).

As always. Thanks!

Wayne

Cary Falk
05-01-2009, 10:08 AM
I have the Steel City DP. It comes with a goose neck light and mine came with a rebate for the laser about 2 years ago. The 6" quill travel is great. The goose neck on the light is not very stiff and the light tends not to stay in place. If you plan on building a table the initial table size should not be too much of an issue. I have mixed feelings on the quick release depth stop. It is convient but it seems like it has too much play. I think I would rather have the 2 nut locking system. I don't use the laser that much. I only keep it because I figure I couldn't get too much for it if I tried to sell it.

All in all, I really like the Steel City DP. I bought it for the 6" quill travel. Both companies make great tools. I think you will be happy with either.

jason lambert
05-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Hands down the steel city is more popular and I think slighly better. It seems to be the standard in that price range. I have a steel city and like it.