PDA

View Full Version : My Laser Scanner Setup and Results

Khalid Khattak
05-01-2009, 12:59 AM
Hmmm.. I will pay high compliments to Simon and Sven for creating a low cost software and setup known as 'David Laser Scanner'.

My progress on it so far so good. I have no Line Laser available so made it with a simple Point laser. My setup is very crude, nobody can get excellent results from it (and i am nobody)...However i will improve as the time pass and experience comes in.

Khalid Khattak
05-01-2009, 1:02 AM
I got plaster of paris molding and experimented on it... the middle picture is the first experimental results on that molding... its not good but atleast it gave me courage to improve the setup... The Right most is the improved results of molding after improving the lighting condition of my room...Once i succeed in getting good results it will be benefit me in replicating the beautiful work...

Angus Hines
05-01-2009, 10:44 AM
You never cease to amaze me !

James Jaragosky
05-01-2009, 3:54 PM
You always seen to find new ways to impress me. Your inventive spirit is amazing. I look forward to further reports on your current endeavor.

Gary Hair
05-01-2009, 8:40 PM
I have no Line Laser available so made it with a simple Point laser.

You can get a line laser on ebay pretty cheap. I bought one about two years ago, when I first saw the "David" software. I wasn't very impressed then, but it has improved quite a bit since then.

Gary

Khalid Khattak
05-04-2009, 2:17 AM
Thank You Angus Hines, James and Gary for your kind words... I am happy that you like my effort... Following is the work i have done so far...

On internet the laser is available but i can't purchase because i have no credit card nor the paypal provide services in my country:(

Gary Hair
05-04-2009, 2:32 PM
Khalid,
I just did a search on ebay for the laser I bought, here is a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/650nm-5mW-laser-module-3-2VDC-line-generator-650-nm-OEM_W0QQitemZ120396248661QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item1c082cf655&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

If you can't buy it on ebay, I'll gladly sell you mine for the same price plus shipping. Mine has only been used for about an hour at the most and I don't have a need for it any more. The USPS website shows that it would be about $13.00 for shipping in a priority mail flat rate envelope.

Let me know if you are interested.

Gary

Khalid Khattak
05-04-2009, 3:32 PM
Khalid,
I just did a search on ebay for the laser I bought, here is a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/650nm-5mW-laser-module-3-2VDC-line-generator-650-nm-OEM_W0QQitemZ120396248661QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item1c082cf655&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

If you can't buy it on ebay, I'll gladly sell you mine for the same price plus shipping. Mine has only been used for about an hour at the most and I don't have a need for it any more. The USPS website shows that it would be about $13.00 for shipping in a priority mail flat rate envelope.

Let me know if you are interested.

Gary
Gary..thanks for your offer... One of my friend among you gifted me the laser... its green laser from www.dealextreme.com (http://www.dealextreme.com) ... This website claims that it is the cheapest seller in the world.... Moreover,They ship free of cost.... and their prices are really very very low cost.. for example a simple red line laser you will get 4.02 dollars+ shipment free..if you buy 03 then you will get the discount of 3 dollars ( almost one free laser)...

They offer through paypal that do not serve in my country.... I have no problem with the money, the problem is the transaction that i can't do:(... However i am thankful to forum members who emailed me for help in this matter...

Today i did another scan..the results are not that promising but you can see the improvement...

Khalid Khattak
05-05-2009, 8:05 AM
Now moving toward scaning the object all around 360 degree... a complete 3D object.. Following is the scan results (total 06 scans) of the skull...

Khalid Khattak
05-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Here is the almost complete model...

Guy Mathews
05-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Khalid,

Those are by far the best results I have seen so far using David's Laser Scan setup and software. How much time do you have in actual setup, scanning, stitching and patching?

Guy

Khalid Khattak
05-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Khalid,

Those are by far the best results I have seen so far using David's Laser Scan setup and software. How much time do you have in actual setup, scanning, stitching and patching?

Guy

Thanks Guy (You are the SCAN GURU)

Top notch results can be achieved with David Laser scanner.. You will soon see the quality results when i get the green laser gifted by one of my friend among you...I will be happy and satisfied when i do a good quality coin scan with full details...

I did 06 scans around the Skull and only one scan from the top.... It took 3~5 minutes for each scan.. The 06 scans were stitched in the shapefusion less than 10 minutes but the top one took 20 minutes time to manual align...

And i am using the Free version of David laser scanner that save the file in OBJ format in low resolution.. So what you see in the above is the low resolution scans results ( with very less details) ...

Best Regards
Khalid

Guy Mathews
05-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks Guy (You are the SCAN GURU)

Top notch results can be achieved with David Laser scanner.. You will soon see the quality results when i get the green laser gifted by one of my friend among you...I will be happy and satisfied when i do a good quality coin scan with full details...

I did 06 scans around the Skull and only one scan from the top.... It took 3~5 minutes for each scan.. The 06 scans were stitched in the shapefusion less than 10 minutes but the top one took 20 minutes time to manual align...

And i am using the Free version of David laser scanner that save the file in OBJ format in low resolution.. So what you see in the above is the low resolution scans results ( with very less details) ...

Best Regards
Khalid

Outstanding!

Soon you will dethrone me as the SCAN GURU! Keep up the great work Khalid!

Guy

Khalid Khattak
05-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Outstanding!

Soon you will dethrone me as the SCAN GURU! Keep up the great work Khalid!

Guy

Never, you will always be at the top..i really respect you and feel myself very humble infront of you sir.. but lets say if it happens (0.0001% chance)..then you will be the KING MAKER :)
Regards

Guy Mathews
05-06-2009, 1:53 PM
Never, you will always be at the top..i really respect you and feel myself very humble infront of you sir.. but lets say if it happens (0.0001% chance)..then you will be the KING MAKER :)
Regards

Thanks for compliment, but... There are people out there way smarter and better at scanning with better equipment then myself.

I happen to be fortunate enough to be involved with a company that saw the light over 3 years ago and tackled this and other technology head on. We have learned by trial and error, research and lots of mistakes!

I have 2 old line laser heads with 2 fixed cameras in each head, in the back room that are replacements for our LDI 3500 Surveyor. You have inspired me to get the David Laser Scanner Software and see if we can't jury rig something up with them just for the fun of it.

Be sure to mill that skull you are working on. It will be inspiring for others to see it come together.

Jim McGrew is the King Maker, he carved it, I just did the scanning and model work!

We all have something to offer for others to learn from. That is what makes The Creek and other forums such great places.

All the best.

Guy

Khalid Khattak
05-07-2009, 2:07 AM
I happen to be fortunate enough to be involved with a company that saw the light over 3 years ago and tackled this and other technology head on. We have learned by trial and error, research and lots of mistakes!

Yes...I imagine... you have done a lot of efforts in the time when the technology was scarce... Your work is inspiring because of your hard efforts and devotion...

I have 2 old line laser heads with 2 fixed cameras in each head, in the back room that are replacements for our LDI 3500 Surveyor. You have inspired me to get the David Laser Scanner Software and see if we can't jury rig something up with them just for the fun of it.

You are lucky:).. just try it and you will amazed to see the results....

Be sure to mill that skull you are working on. It will be inspiring for others to see it come together.

This model is not that good to be machined..i will machine some carved table legs after mastering in scanning technique...

Jim McGrew is the King Maker, he carved it, I just did the scanning and model work!

Jim is doing excellent job...you both must be proud of it...Especially you who did the intricate scanning work...and Jim for doing that job well done... :)... " If i am the King then you are the King Maker"... It means i am nothing in front of you ;)

Shawn Gillies
05-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Khalid, Those scans look fantastic!
What I am wondering though, is what you do with the scans after they are done.
Do you use Vectric's Cut 3D to carve it out?
Or is this just done for your own interests.
This "David" laser set up. Is there a web site that explains this process?
I have purchased 5 line lasers, I am going to use two on each of my CNC's and will have one left over for a spare that I can use to try this project out.
Even if it is not designed for carving, this just looks like a fun project to try out.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Shawn

Khalid Khattak
05-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Shawn :)
currently i am just experimenting...as soon as i get the quality scans i will start machining it... especially i am interested in scanning of beautiful carving around me... and the most interested part is carved legs and columns..

You can visit david laser scanner website.. a lot of information their..hope you will get it running soon..

Regards

Khalid Khattak
05-07-2009, 12:58 PM
As i am committed to attain excellent results from David laser scanner.. so i did following things in last week..

1- I supplied 4.5Volts to my laser with 2 US dollar adapter.. and its running very well..so i made cost saving in 1.5 volts cells.. The three cells costs half dollar and run only 1 hr continuously..

2- My wife sew a Black curtain (Artificial Lather)..and my room is pretty dark..so the quality of scans improved....

3- DID made many different size calibration boards.. the smallest one has paper attached with squash tape... the panel behind the small has paper glued to it and the last panel you are seeing has adhesive tape on back of the panel.... i brought this paper and photocopy the calibration grid on it..

4-Borrowed the camera stand from my friend to experiment plan-less scanning....

Khalid Khattak
05-08-2009, 7:23 AM
Okay..here is the Antique piece that is being used from 1000 of years and its still being used in many countries... This is very special thing http://www.david-laserscanner.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif..Guess what??

and the mask is also there...

Khalid Khattak
05-24-2009, 3:55 PM
Just some updates on My laser scanner setup...I improved my laser setup..I did work on my 1:60 ratio gearbox (i bought it from junk yard US8$).....i made a mount for stepper motor and gearbox and engage them with coupling http://www.cnczone.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif I am getting drastic improvement in my scanning..Now i am interpolating at 1~2... that gives good resolution.. I also mounted the Gear setup on the camera stand..and it work perfect...

Meanwhile Mr. Richard Bouchard gifted me a very Powerful (10mW), beautiful Green Laser Pointer from Dealextreme website.. It will really helpful for quality scans.... Thanks Richard :-) Your gift is very valuable to me :-)I will never forget your this kind gesture :-)