PDA

View Full Version : Byrd Shelix for Jet 12" Jointer Planer?

Erech Myers
05-01-2009, 12:36 AM
I noticed that Byrd now has a 12" version for the Jet Jointer Planer. Has anyone tried it out yet?

Also, isn't Jet supposed to come out with a version of the 12" Jointer Planer that comes with a spiral cutterhead of some sort? Anyone know if it has been announced yet?

Curt Harms
05-01-2009, 2:52 AM
It seems the spiral heads take more power than straight knives. Grizzly's 12" spiral head machine is 5 h.p., Jet is 3 h.p. I did email Byrd about it and someone there indicated they've had several installed in European Jet J/Ps and no complaints. I do know that installing the Byrd head will void the Jet warranty. I also know that the Byrd head is over $1,000. I don't want one that bad.

Rick Lizek
05-01-2009, 6:25 AM
[QUOTE=Curt Harms;1122279]It seems the spiral heads take more power than straight knives.

It's an established fact in industry that staggered and or shear cutters require less power and are quieter. Don't have any links handy to back it up but have been working on machines for 25 years and amp meters and decible meters hooked up to the respective cutters shows this to be true.

Jeffrey Makiel
05-01-2009, 8:56 AM
I received an email in late February from a JET representative stating that the JJP-12 with a helical head should be available in late March. However, that date has since came and went.

I've been waiting for a spiral/helical version of the JJP-12 and it has delayed my purchase of this machine. However, the delay is no big deal as I'm a hobbyist that's been using the same equipment for over 20 years.

As Curt said, the Byrd head is pricey. I also don't like the idea of taking a brand new machine apart to install it, then hope it performs properly, and then hope there are no issues with any possible future warranty claim.

-Jeff :)

Dick Mahany
05-01-2009, 9:27 AM
I noticed that Byrd now has a 12" version for the Jet Jointer Planer. Has anyone tried it out yet?

Also, isn't Jet supposed to come out with a version of the 12" Jointer Planer that comes with a spiral cutterhead of some sort? Anyone know if it has been announced yet?

Erech,

I talked to a Jet rep in February about the helical head version. He tols me that they now were anticipating the end of summer for possible availability although that could change given the current economic conditions. I believe this has already been delayed a few times, so I decided to get the current version. I REALLY like it. Solid machine. Excellent fit and finish. only seconds to change from planing to jointing.

With that 12" capacity, if I have figured wood, I simply rung the board through at a diagonal. Works fine for me. I decided thatr rather than a helical head, I would get a Tormek with the long planer blade sharpening attachment since I could do so much more with it in my shop. I haven't regretted that decision.

Best of luck with which ever path you take.

Erech Myers
05-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks guys. I'm thinking seriously about getting the Jet 12" from Woodcraft on May 15, 16 when they have 20% off. They sell it for $1,999, so the cost would be $1600 + tax. I was hoping to be able to upgrade to the Byrd down the road, but that seems a little excessive. So the question is, do I wait on Jet to come out with their version or pull the trigger on a good sale. As a hobbyist, I don't really work with figured wood that often, but I'm only 35 and I'll probably have this machine for a long time. I feel like the helical head would future proof the machine for me. Decisions, Decisions. :rolleyes:

Jeffrey Makiel
05-01-2009, 1:47 PM
Erech,
I'm not sure if it is 20% off list price of $2,473 which equals $1,979, or 20% off current sale price $1,999 which equals $1,599.

I'm betting it's off list price. If that's the case, their last promotion, that ended in April which included two parallel clamps and one additional tool/accessory, was a better deal.

However, I like your math better. :)

We shall see.

Curt Harms
05-01-2009, 7:49 PM
[QUOTE=Curt Harms;1122279]It seems the spiral heads take more power than straight knives.

It's an established fact in industry that staggered and or shear cutters require less power and are quieter. Don't have any links handy to back it up but have been working on machines for 25 years and amp meters and decible meters hooked up to the respective cutters shows this to be true.

That was my thinking as well that helical heads would take less power. I don't know what the holdup is with Jet then. Having said that, I don't want one $1095 worth (http://www.holbren.com/product.php?productid=4589&cat=526&page=1) unless I were working with wood that would make it worthwhile.

Barry Vabeach
05-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Erech, I would, and did, go with the straight knives. IIRC, the estimated list price with helical was about $3,000 which is a pretty high premium. Wood mag did a short article a while ago and said that the straight knives left a slightly better finish than helical, though I don't know if they used figured wood. If the premium for helical is in the neighborhood of $700 to $1,000 , that is hard to justify for the convenience of not having to set the straight knives. If that is the main gain, then consider converting to indexed knifes or carbide - either of which is much less than $700. I think that Wood is doing a review of combo's in its July edition, though not positive about that .

C Scott McDonald
05-02-2009, 2:43 PM
One of their flyers for the 2009 new equipment had a picture of the jjp-12 so I thought they had released the HH version. Went to the website and no luck :( I noticed they don't have the jjp-12 listed under the jointer/planer section currently. You can find it by manual search so maybe it is coming soon. $3000.00 for it is still a pretty good deal. Take a look at other 12" HH jointers and see how fast the price goes up! Having a 400 square foot shop the combo machine would be worth it for me.

Scott

Edward Smith
05-08-2009, 12:18 PM
I was notified by Jet last friday that the JJP-12HH was being shipped to distributers. They gave me the Jet Part number. I contacted my local Woodcraft on availablity and eligability for the 20% off. He(Dwayne) said he'd look into it and call me back. He called back on Monday and said yes it was available and eligable for the sale but, the list price is $3,499!!! That would only work for me if it was a genuine Byrd head, they use them in Powermatics. So far I haven't been able to find out who's making the JJP-12HH head.

Martin Shupe
05-08-2009, 7:08 PM
Ed, can you post the part number here?

Is there a link to that model on either the Woodcraft or Jet website?

Thanks.

Edward Smith
05-09-2009, 3:29 PM
stock# 708476. It wasn't on either site as of yesterday.

Curt Harms
05-09-2009, 7:29 PM
I was notified by Jet last friday that the JJP-12HH was being shipped to distributers. They gave me the Jet Part number. I contacted my local Woodcraft on availablity and eligability for the 20% off. He(Dwayne) said he'd look into it and call me back. He called back on Monday and said yes it was available and eligable for the sale but, the list price is $3,499!!! That would only work for me if it was a genuine Byrd head, they use them in Powermatics. So far I haven't been able to find out who's making the JJP-12HH head.

There's a short article in the current Wood magazine about J/P's. They were saying the JJP12HH should cost about $2599. I realize the $3499 is list price but Wow!. I wonder what the difference is between the JJP12 and the JJP12HH beside the cutterhead.

Edward Smith
05-10-2009, 9:10 AM
I had the same thought. I called their tech support and the tech said he knew of no difference except the helical head. Then he said they may have changed the switch.

Gary Venable
05-15-2009, 3:18 PM
Looks like Jet has it on their website now:

http://woodworking.jettools.com/Products.aspx?Part=708476&cat=2560693

Called Woodcraft and you can get it as part of the 20% off sale for $2399.99.

Edward Smith
05-15-2009, 9:10 PM
I bought one this afternoon at that price($2,399). Appears they dropped the list to $2,999, which is where it should have been. I'll comment when I have a chance to use it.

Derby Matthews
05-16-2009, 2:44 PM
Just purchased one of these with the OEM Helix head as well. Great reviews by the staff at Woodcraft in Newington NH. $2399.00 total (no tax in NH) If readers want to take advantage of Jet's First Ever 20% off event for this or any other Jet product they need to act TODAY. It ends at midnight tonight.

For comparison - I passed up an opportunity to buy a 12"Powermatic Aircraft Carrier (w/o the free planer thrown in) - with the aftermarket Byrd head installed - two years ago for the "low" price of $4999.00 at Barbo in PDX. Glad I waited! This Jet machine is tighter, more compact, retains the table length needed to surface longer stock accurately & snipelessly, switches over in seconds, and is capable of jointing much shorter stock than the average machine. What I really like most about the Helical head (besides the absence of 120 decibel tear/whine/roar) is that the cutting action "pulls" the workpiece down onto the table surface, instead of "pushing" it up and away from the cutterhead as I pass the board over the running blades. Feels a lot safer and smoother, not at all like you're subtley working against the machine. The Helix cutters have been known to leave tiny longitudinal lines in workpieces when not adjusted/tightened, or when nicked, but unllke the big ridges left by dull/nicked staight blades can be fixed in thirty seconds with a hex key by simply rotating the offending cutter 90 degrees (all four edges have pre-indexed cutting faces) and retightening, or WCS by replacing the cutter if completely worn out or cracked. A quick sanding easily removes any slight surface imperfections left by these cutters. Lousy, ridged cuts, Mill glaze, "hammered" surfaces, down time and fussy fine adjustments are a thing of the past. Will post a range report after I shoot some end grain quilted maple thru this baby.

Jeffrey Makiel
05-16-2009, 8:18 PM
I do not have a Woodcraft near me and their website doesn't have it listed. I just called customer service, but they closed at 5pm est on Saturdays.

Looks like I'm going to miss out on the 20% off. Phoeey. :mad:

Doug Hess
05-17-2009, 8:33 AM
One of their flyers for the 2009 new equipment had a picture of the jjp-12 so I thought they had released the HH version. Went to the website and no luck :( I noticed they don't have the jjp-12 listed under the jointer/planer section currently. You can find it by manual search so maybe it is coming soon. $3000.00 for it is still a pretty good deal. Take a look at other 12" HH jointers and see how fast the price goes up! Having a 400 square foot shop the combo machine would be worth it for me.

Scott

The review on the Grizzly G0634 was very promising in the July issue of Wood magazine, they picked it over the Jet. Looks like a nice machine for 2495.00

Doug

Arnold E Schnitzer
05-19-2009, 8:20 AM
Does anyone know where to get a good mobile base for the JJP-12?

Erech Myers
05-19-2009, 3:40 PM
Derby,

Did you get it yet or is it being shipped? If so, what's the verdict? Can you give any details about the Helix Cutter?

BTW, Congrats! I'll have one eventually!

Thanks,
Erech

Curt Harms
05-19-2009, 4:02 PM
Does anyone know where to get a good mobile base for the JJP-12?

Here's my pos (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=76454)t. This has worked out well. I wanted handles so I didn't have to move the machine by pushing on the jointer beds. I used the mobility bases from I think MiniMax bandsaws for inspiration Pushing on the beds may well not have been a problem but I didn't want to take the chance. The downside to this base is the wheels on the back are fixed, so it requires a "5 point turn" to spin the machine. I know others have used Zambus or Great Lakes Casters mounted directly to the legs. This makes for a more compact and agile installation but requires pushing directly on the machine. I could probably put swiveling casters on the back of my mobile base to improve agility but so far haven't felt the need.

HTH

Curt

Rod Sheridan
05-20-2009, 8:14 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88687&highlight=Hammer+A3-31+Mobile+Base

The above link shows the mobile base I made for my A3-31.

The semi live skid design of mobile base allows you to move the machine without touching the machine itself, and the base doesn't move unless lifted by the tow bar.

Regards, Rod.

C Scott McDonald
05-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Whats the word?? They work well? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Edward Smith
06-08-2009, 9:23 PM
Well I picked up the JJP-12hh today. It wasn't packaged extremely well but there was no damage that I've uncovered yet.
We came with a pickup truck and Woodcraft loaded it with their fortlift, no problem. I asked if I could borrow the forklift but they declined. The ride home was uneventful(good) even though we didn't strap it down. Getting it off the pickup was a bit of work, cleverness prevailed and we were able to get it onto the ground to remove the crate.
So much for small talk. The machine looks pretty nice. I'm not familiar with the surface they use on the tables, for now I'll assume they know what their doing. Everything operated ok in the checkout. I havent turned it on yet. I'll report on that later.
After we got the machine on the mobile base I opened up the owners manual.
As a note I had called JET tech before buying the HH and asking if there were any differences with the straight blade machine? The tech said none except the head and maybe a new switch.
Well the manual provides two interesting differences: first the planer feed speed is 12 fpm, second they ask for a 30 amp circuit and a 30 amp 220v plug. The first is not surprising given the earlier info provided on this thread. The second has me baffled since they are still using #14 wire in their connection.
Enough of my carrying on. I'll call JET tomorrow and if I get anything useful I write more.

Barry Vabeach
06-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Ed, the tables are machined flat in a way that leaves ridges lenghtwise. It is a difference process that being ground flat ( like blanchard grinding). Some users like the Jet ( and other similar tables) on the theory it has less friction, while others prefer the typical flat that comes on most table saws, etc. The main downside to me was that it took forever to get the grease off the tables ( I ended up using brake cleaner ). I prefer the look of a smooth finish, and think it is easier to use a dial indicator on a smooth surface, but I have no troubles using the ridged surfaces on the Jet.

Jeffrey Makiel
06-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Edward,
Thanks for the follow-up.

The straight knife model has 20fpm and the helical model is 12fpm. Interesting. Did they change the pulley size and/or the motor speed?

I'm wondering why they now recommend a 30A circuit. The motor specifications on the website for both models is listed as 12.5A Are you able to see the data on the motor's nameplate?

One of the attractions for me was that I could run the JJP-12hh on an existing 20A, 240V circuit.

Edward Smith
06-10-2009, 1:48 AM
I called Jet tech today and couldn't get any clear reason why they changed from 20a to 30a. I'm going to use my 20a circuit and see what happens. I spent some time reading ncwoodworkers.com and came to the conclusion that this should not be a problem. Time will tell. I'll write more when I know more.

Derby Matthews
06-14-2009, 6:09 PM
Still haven'tpicked mine up yet. It's in Woodcraft Warehouse Limbo while I get this
!$@^#&~(^* House Purchased and the equally !(#(%)#@*%*#W* loan pushed thru. I'd rather get pulled over by an Orthodontist than go thru this again. There, I feel better now....

Arnold E Schnitzer
06-15-2009, 8:45 AM
After we got the machine on the mobile base I opened up the owners manual.

Which mobile base?

Derby Matthews
06-18-2009, 2:40 PM
snip - The second has me baffled since they are still using #14 wire in their connection.
Enough of my carrying on. I'll call JET tomorrow and if I get anything useful I write more.

#14 wire can legally be used for short internal distances on up to a 3HP single phase motor - say from the switch to the motor and inside the motor itself, but not for the relatively long distance from the machine to the service entrance. This is counterintuitive, but the manufacturers' (particularly the Taichinoise factories) work very hard to do the absolute bareass minimum required where machine electricals are concerned. They'll say of course that have to import EVERYTHING, including copper wire, blah-blah-blah.

I digress

A 30 AMP circuit for a 3 HP motor is far less apt to throw the breaker shortly after you hit the switch and the the inrush of Amps (like say, 70 to 90) hits those poor little 14 gage wires and they heat up - in a BIG hurry. It's probably precisely BECAUSE of that minimalist's dreamworld internal wiring we have to triple the cross sectional area (and cost) of our supply circuit wiring to a machine with this wiring arrangement. If the motor could be disengaged from some or all ofthe load until it spun up you could maybe get by without overheating the circuit every time you start the machine. Fortis same reason It's a good idea to let any machine of this setup type to run for at least a few seconds before putting it under load.
Hope this helps.

Arnold E Schnitzer
06-21-2009, 10:02 AM
So, if anyone is interested, I simply purchased four heavy-duty casters from the orange big box store. They were marked as replacement wheels for a Ridgid tablesaw, and featured a 5/16" threaded shaft mount. I stuck them through the holes previously used to bolt the machine to its crate, added washers and nuts, and viola! Works fine...

Erech Myers
10-05-2009, 10:35 AM
I was looking for a review of the new Helical Head Jointer Planer Combo by Jet. Can anyone provide a review or know of an online review?

Thanks,
Erech

Derby Matthews
10-15-2009, 2:25 PM
Hi Erech,
Sorryto say mine is still in the crate. I underestimated how busy I would be this summer getting married and buying a house and moving interstate at the same time (doesnt Help that SWMBO's cat has discovered the crate under the basement stairs and adopted the top for her bed) now I'll have to build a shelf above the machine for her to sleep (coma) on when the machine's not in use. Will post a report soon as I get the unit out for a wire-up and shakedown cruise.

Bas Pluim
11-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Bump. Anyone with a JJP12-HH have a chance to use it yet? Inquiring minds want to know with the 15% off sale that's coming!

Derby Matthews
11-11-2009, 8:51 AM
So, if anyone is interested, I simply purchased four heavy-duty casters from the orange big box store. They were marked as replacement wheels for a Ridgid tablesaw, and featured a 5/16" threaded shaft mount. I stuck them through the holes previously used to bolt the machine to its crate, added washers and nuts, and viola! Works fine...

I'm sure that works well, and I was going to do the same until I stumbled on this solution, as with the very limited workspace I'll have to move my machine out into the room every time I need to use it, and I work on some pretty hefty chunks of wood.

I installed an ultra heavy-duty caster set* purchased from Woodcraft in Newington, NH. These awesome wheels/bases bolt into the wide bottom plates on the machine base (drilling the 1/4" mounting holes was required, but no more difficult than tipping up each end of the machine to do so) and are not only sure-footed and sturdy enough to move the machine around smoothly and surely, but have nowhere near the wiggle factor of even a custom HTC heavy duty base - not only in caster mode, but also with the very cool built-in thumbscrew pad feet that one can apply with hand pressure (on a smooth level floor) or with a large pair of channel locks or a screw driver tip (to level and stablizes the machine on a slightly more uneven floor). No way any mobile base can do all that, at any price. These cost around a Benjamin a set, and are worth every penny and then some. Not sure if these are in the catalog but the store can get them for you and ship them to you at what I would assume is a competitive price. Talk to Don or George at 6034336116 and they can tell you how to get a set or sell them to you. I have no financial interest in Woodcraft or in pimping these. They'd sell themselves if more of us knew about them. In 2002 I had expensive custom-made HTC bases made for virtually all the shop equipment in my one-man shop (over a dozen in all) and would have instead incorporated these casters on a good number of my machines had they been around then. They're that good.

*1320lb/4 plate-top cast iron body/ non-marring phenolic wheel/ neoprene-faced footpad. Factor in a rise of around 2.5 inches with these. IMHO They made the jointer surface a more comfortable height for my 6 foot frame.

Chris Nolin
11-19-2009, 3:24 PM
Derby,
I was looking at a set of casters on Woodcraft's site, the WoodRiverŽ Machine Leveling Caster Plate Mounted 4 Pack. Are these the ones you're talking about? I'm taking delivery of my JJP-12 on Saturday, and am interested in this idea for making it mobile.

Bas Pluim
11-19-2009, 4:02 PM
Derby,
I was looking at a set of casters on Woodcraft's site, the WoodRiverŽ Machine Leveling Caster Plate Mounted 4 Pack. Are these the ones you're talking about? I'm taking delivery of my JJP-12 on Saturday, and am interested in this idea for making it mobile.
I ordered the casters from Great Lakes (http://www.greatlakescaster.com/great_lakes_caster___swivel_caster_with_stabilizer _leg___175_stabilizing_casters_with_a_220lbs_capac ity_in_motion_and_a_550lbs_capacity_when_the_stabi lizer_leg_in_extended-LV-1710-NYP-S-M12.php), I believe they are the same as the ones from Woodcraft. Buying them direct should save you $30. I plan to put these on the JJP-12 as well...have to wait another 3 weeks before it ships :(

Barry Vabeach
11-19-2009, 9:40 PM
The Woodriver does not look quite like the Great Lakes. I bought the Great lakes and actually am pretty disappointed. The mobility when the pads are up is extremely good, I didn't think they were all that stable when the pads are down - I put them on a table saw and the saw will tilt back and forth with a small amount of pushing. My main complaint is that the access to the turnscrew is very small and I found it took 5 - 10 minutes for me to move all 4 wheels up or down. I saw the Woodriver at a store and the access for the turnscrew looks much larger, and may be easier to operate. If you campare pictures, you can see that the opening in the Woodriver is continuous, the Great Lake has 2 separate and smaller openings. If the Great Lakes came with a wrench it would be easier, I found it hard to turn the screw with a screwdriver.

Derby Matthews
11-20-2009, 9:01 PM
Hi Barry, Dont know anything about the Great Lakes Casters, though I see from the link provided that they have only an 880 lb. capacity /4, whereas the Woodcraft set provides well over 1300 lb. of load. The Woodcraft Caster / feet are also adjustable with either a wrench provided with the set (or from your tool chest), a screwdriver (etc.), or just hand pressure if the floor is reasonably level. While they do allow a tiny fraction of lateral movement when the feet are fully engaged, it is infinitessimal compared to any other caster arrangement or even mobile base I've ever used. I suspect also that the motion I describe relates more to the slight flexing of the planer/jointers steel base plates than anything to do with the casters/ feet. I'm pretty sure you'd have to bolt the machine to the floor to significantly improve the planers stability beyond what these provide, and that is simply not an option for my shop. IMHO you simply can't do better than these if you're looking for the best of both worlds.

I feel pretty well qualified to make this statement, as I've been a strong proponent /user of machine mobility bases for about 3 decades and have over the years spent thousands on HTC custom & ultra-heavy duty bases , often modifying them afterwards to improve their stability. If you want to see these Woodcraft casters in action, they have them set up with a large machine (I think a Powermatic 12" aircraft-carrier jointer) at the Woodcraft store I mentioned in my earlier post. That's how I discovered them. George should post a vid of these on their facebook page or something. As for saving the $30.00 buying a cheaper brand somewhere else I don't know about that. I buy most of my supplies and equipment at this Woodcraft store now, and feel blessed that I dont have to spend hours looking elsewhere online and/or pay tax or shipping somewhere in Boston or wherever. The service and selection in the store is top notch. Again, I write this review with no financial interest in pimping these casters or the store.

Derby Matthews
11-21-2009, 8:29 AM
Derby,
Hi Chris, I posted a reply on the forum and will cc it here: Good luck with the planer delivery, a suggestion is to be careful not to let the crate tip too far in any direction. The center of gavity is pretty high on these machines and they can get away from you whle still in the crate. Personal experience here and some new gray hairs as a result...

Hi Barry, Dont know anything about the Great Lakes Casters, though I see from the link provided that they have only an 880 lb. capacity /4, whereas the Woodcraft set provides well over 1300 lb. of load. The Woodcraft Caster / feet are also adjustable with either a wrench provided with the set (or from your tool chest), a screwdriver (etc.), or just hand pressure if the floor is reasonably level. While they do allow a tiny fraction of lateral movement when the feet are fully engaged, it is infinitessimal compared to any other caster arrangement or even mobile base I've ever used. I suspect also that the motion I describe relates more to the slight flexing of the planer/jointers steel base plates than anything to do with the casters/ feet. I'm pretty sure you'd have to bolt the machine to the floor to significantly improve the planers stability beyond what these provide, and that is simply not an option for my shop. IMHO you simply can't do better than these if you're looking for the best of both worlds.

I feel pretty well qualified to make this statement, as I've been a strong proponent /user of machine mobility bases for about 3 decades and have over the years spent thousands on HTC custom & ultra-heavy duty bases , often modifying them afterwards to improve their stability. If you want to see these Woodcraft casters in action, they have them set up with a large machine (I think a Powermatic 12" aircraft-carrier jointer) at the Woodcraft store I mentioned in my earlier post. That's how I discovered them. George should post a vid of these on their facebook page or something. As for saving the $30.00 buying a cheaper brand somewhere else I don't know about that. I buy most of my supplies and equipment at this Woodcraft store now, and feel blessed that I dont have to spend hours looking elsewhere online and/or pay tax or shipping somewhere in Boston or wherever. The service and selection in the store is top notch. Again, I write this review with no financial interest in pimping these casters or the store.

Doug Shepard
11-21-2009, 10:54 AM
I just put a set of these under a Hammer A3-31 2 weeks ago and so far, so good.
http://www.clevelandcaster.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=16&idcategory=15
I'm really liking the ratcheting feature. The Zambus set under my BS can be a bit stiff to turn at times.

Kirk Simmons
11-21-2009, 6:16 PM
Those Cleveland casters look great, but are they really worth $55 each?

Doug Shepard
11-21-2009, 8:23 PM
Those Cleveland casters look great, but are they really worth $55 each?

I think that's something only you can decide but that's $220 for a set. A standard mobile base would run around $150 or so and not give you the 360 degree steering or leveling pads on all 4 corners. It's also less $$ than getting the equivalent Zambus caster which dont have the ratchet feature, tho more than the equivalent Great Lakes casters (also w/o the ratchet). So I tend to look at it as about a $70 premium rather than focusing on the per caster price. In the 3-4 times I moved and re-lowed the pads on the J/P it's a darn nice plus to have have that ratchet built in. There have been times with my Zambus set that I need to grab a scrap stick to push against the star knobs to raise/lower the pads. The Footmaster ones let you get a bit of torque on the adjuster so any stiffness isnm't noticed.

Derby Matthews
11-21-2009, 9:40 PM
We (I) should probably institute a head to head test of the currently available footcasters (am I coining a phrase here?) to see which perform best. I imagine Taunting Magazine is a long way off from reviewing such a lowly subject (OK, that was bad). Do any of these sources offer a return policy so I can order a set of each and try them out?

Derby Matthews
11-28-2009, 10:46 AM
The helix cutter head leaves a surface that's a vast improvement over straight blades. The residual marks - if any - run the length of the workpiece rather than the usual hammer marks running crosswise we're all accustomed to. These marks scrape or sand out with ease, as they tend to be raised rather than depressed into the surface. When jointing wider stock, the cutting action tends to pull the workpiece towards the table while cutting rather than hammer it up and back towards the operator. This I find makes using the machine considerably more comfortable to use. Vibration is minimal for a 3 hp machine, noise level when cutting is noticeably reduced. Blade change is ridiculously easy! A quantum leap over the straight bladed head.

Derby Matthews
06-09-2010, 12:17 PM
I'll stick with Woodcraft's at $99.00 for a set of four. The Cleveland's are a similar design, but you don't need a ratcheting mechanism. WC's have greater load capacity, and no fragile exposed ratchet mechanism that in my shop would get serious unintentional kicking-with-steel-toed-boot or drop-kicked-waste-piece damage within a few weeks of putting in use. Heck, half of the diecast toe-total-lock caster flanges (I put a bunch of these on 2ft by 4ft pieces of 3/4 ply for my assembly dollies a few years back) have been chipped / broken off since I bought them, just from bumping into stuff.

It appears casters in my vicinity need to be bullet proof.

The Woodcraft's continue to defy my every negligence and are working great. My two big tool chest / work tables' casters finally "burned down, fell over, and then sank into the swamp" (started spitting ball bearings) so I bought two more sets of WC's to replace them. An easy fix, and they're working great there as well.