PDA

View Full Version : Push me over the edge...

Nigel Tracy
04-30-2009, 8:13 PM
Hi all :)

Well the tree trimmers were out today and left behind lots of green rounds ripe for turning. We had about a dozen trees felled from our “old growth” 50 acre sugar bush area, mostly maple, average of 30” dia with a couple pushing 40”; a nice 30” black cherry, and a few elm and hickory. And they're coming back tomorrow...

Sooo… I’ve been on the edge for a while and it’s time to upgrade the mini lathe :)

I’ve read all the reviews and feel well informed. Yes I would love the mustard but it is not readily available in my area (Ontario, Canada) and costs close to 4k CAD all in…

I have decided on the following lathe, the Craftex CT128 at Busy Bee tools (the "Canadian Grizzly").

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=CT128

It’s identical to the Laguna 18/47 except for the stickers, well and the color I guess. It has 18” swing, 2hp, electronic variable speed, and gets good reviews around here. Oh yeah, and it’s on sale for $1099 CAD (about $900 USD). Seems like a lot of lathe for that price. The Nova 1624/44 is the only other quality lathe at the same price and lacks variable speed and has a smaller swing (yeah I know its headstock swivels but the CT 128’s slides to the end like the PM).

The CT128 is identical to the Laguna except the its spindle was milled to 1” – 8tpi instead of 1.25” – 8tpi. There has been some concern about the undersized spindle with the MT2 ream not leaving much metal for rigidity. Is this a huge concern? I do have chainsaws and a good bandsaw and will be able to round my blanks; but, with the big chunks I’m hoping to turn, will the 1” spindle be a significant liability? Could it mean vibration issues?

The spindle itself is quite beefy throughout (again it’s the same as the Laguna) except for the threads. Since faceplates and chucks butt up against the shoulder of the spindle I figure the diameter at the threads shouldn’t matter *too* much…

So going once, going twice, either consensus here says “that spindle is too skinny” or I’ll pull the trigger--unless anyone strongly advises against it I’ve decided to give it a try. Can’t pass up that much lathe at that price.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions :)

Nigel

Continuing to slide down the slippery slope…

PS if anyone is near London, Ontario and is interested in some blanks, let me know. I truly have more than I could possibly turn for a long time and I'd be glad to meet another Creeker, perhaps in exchange for some tips for a relatively new big-bowl turner. Get it while it’s green!

alex carey
04-30-2009, 8:44 PM
I would agree 1" is far too small, the reasons the spindle is supposed to be bigger is because you are doing larger projects. I really don't think that lathe should be doing a 30" bowl, let alone a 40" bowl. That just seems dangerous. I don't know a ton about this kind of stuff but I look at every other lathe that can swing 18" and some even smaller and they all have 1 1/4. It just seems dangerous. If you don't plan on doing very large stuff then it might not be too bad.

Just wondering, can you point us to any reviews online, I have never seen any for this lathe.

Also the 2 year warranty is slightly worrisome compared to jets and Powermatics 5 year. Lastly the tailstock has only 2" travel, most lathe this size have 4 or more.

By and large when it comes to lathes, you get what you pay for, that doesn't mean you can't get lucky but it does mean if you don't buy right you will be worried about it breaking.

Just my 2 cents.

Alex

Richard Madison
05-01-2009, 12:30 AM
Appears to be a lot of lathe for about half the price of a Jet 1642-2. Might want to consider (research) the resale value, in the event that you buy one and find it unsatisfactory. How much of your investment could you recover? If possible see one in person and operate the various knobs and levers, banjo and tailstock locks, etc. The short TS travel might be irritating at times but not a deal breaker. If the spindle shoulder diameter is about the same as a Jet 1642 (which has 1-1/4-8 threads), I would buy it and run it hard during the first year of the warranty. Just one person's opinion.

Mark Norman
05-01-2009, 12:46 AM
That does look like a lot of machine for the money.

Now get out there with the anchorseal!!:D

Nigel Tracy
05-01-2009, 7:05 AM
I really don't think that lathe should be doing a 30" bowl, let alone a 40" bowl. I look at every other lathe that can swing 18" and some even smaller and they all have 1 1/4.

Thanks Alex, I should clarify--I don't plan on doing many, if any, 30" to 40" bowls. Those were just the diameters of the trees. I completely agree that that lathe is no match for regularly working with that size!

The short TS travel might be irritating at times but not a deal breaker. If the spindle shoulder diameter is about the same as a Jet 1642 (which has 1-1/4-8 threads), I would buy it and run it hard during the first year of the warranty. Just one person's opinion.

Actually the tailstock does travel 4" (just like the Laguna and I've seen it in person to confirm). That spec is a misprint. And yes, the spindle shoulder is quite large--didn't measure but somewhere 2"-3". I have also since read that some old heavy-duty General 18" lathes used 1" spindles for a long time too so I'm thinking the same as you: try it out and run her hard. If it bombs (don't think it will), Busy Bee is great for customer service and they offer a 30 day no-questions-asked return period. (Like I said, the canadian Grizzly.) Wish me luck! Pics to follow :)

That does look like a lot of machine for the money.

Now get out there with the anchorseal!!:D

On my way coach!

Jeff Nicol
05-01-2009, 7:27 AM
Nigel, For the money it looks like a very nice machine! Have you had a chance to see one in person? I bet if you had the Laguna, Jet and this one side by side you would see that the castings are most likely the same. The only difference may be in the finish, bearings and motor and control or they will be the same. It is made in china/taiwan and there are only so many factories casting lathes. I have an off brand 12x36 lathe that looks just like a jet or a Grizzly. ON the spindle size, it will turn anything you can put on the lathe, if the bearings will stay together it will do the job. The amount of energy it would take to bend or break a 1" shaft is quite a lot and the wood will give long before the steel.

Get it bought and tell us all you can about it, then post pictures of your creations!

Jeff

Tony Kahn
05-01-2009, 7:42 AM
It looks like a je 1642 bed and legs with mustard headsock and tailstock to me. my only question is it says the maotor is 1 phase. if that is true your VS may lose power by a great deal at the bottom end. I would find out if it has VFD or anything.