PDA

View Full Version : Arm-R-Seal over Polyacrylic

Edwood Ferrari
04-30-2009, 7:18 PM
I am using General Polyacryilic for the first time. I stained my poplar with General Water Based Stain and I really liked the results. General recommends using the water based Polyacryilic over the stain. But so far I am not too happy with the gloss finish. I still have to lay down a few more coats proably 4 total. Last project I used General Arm-R-Seal with just 2 coats and the finish was great. So I am wondering if after I put some more coats down with the Poly and I still don't like it do you think I could lay down a coat or two of the Arm-R-Seal on top?

I am actually hoping I can get this "Green" water based finishing working since I work in a basement and Oil finishes are an issue.

-Ed

Howard Acheson
05-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Yes, you can put an oil based poly varnish like Arm R Seal over a waterborne Polyacrilic. Just let the waterborne fully dry for 4-5 days and then scuff sand it with 320 paper. Apply at least two coats of the Arm R Seal.

I guess I don't know why you don't just use three coats of Arm R Seal and forget the waterborne. What is it you don't like about the gloss of the waterborne?

Edwood Ferrari
05-01-2009, 8:21 PM
Howie,

Thanks for your reply to my question. I have been trying water born finishes mostly because we have birds in the house above my basement workshop and I worry I might kill the wife's bird with the fumes coming up our central AC/Heating system. An we know how that would turn out!

The finish is coming out smooth but the sheen is more like a satin instead of a gloss. I was just at Rocklers tonight looking at their sample boards and even the sample board was the same. Nothing like the gloss of Arm-R-seal. I got talking with another customer about it and he swears by the General High Performance water born line claiming it is much better. So I picked up a pint and will give that a go.

Hopeful but also doubtful it will equal the oil based product but maybe it will be OK

Ed