PDA

View Full Version : Router

Daniel Heine
04-30-2009, 5:33 PM
Hello,

I am in the market for a new router. I want one that has a fixed and plunge base. I know Porter-Cable is now junk, what is a good brand name router??? Are the Craftsman routers any good?

Thanks,
Dan

glenn bradley
04-30-2009, 5:58 PM
We all have our opinions. Since $200 (more or less) will buy several different kits, I will push my favorite: Milwaukee 5616-24 (http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id=28710). Love it.

Greg Hines, MD
04-30-2009, 6:04 PM
I have a Porter-Cable 890 that works good for me.

Doc

Thomas S Stockton
04-30-2009, 6:07 PM
I wouldn't say Porter-cable is junk you really need to look at individual models of anybodies tool line when buying tools. A good example is Starrett they make some of the nicest measuring tool around but a while ago came out with some stuff to sell at the big box stores, I bought one of their chalk lines kinda as a joke because of the name on it and you know what it's just a run of the mill chalk line with a fancy name. I would find a store that carries a couple of different brands and try them for feel and see which one is right for you. I have a Bosch (2 1/4hp I think) that came with a fixed base, plunge base and a edge guide that I klike a lot. Porter-cable had something similar but it didn't fit my hands as well.
Tom

Brian Kent
04-30-2009, 6:08 PM
I have a Porter-Cable 890 that works good for me.

Doc

Me too. I don't know that the continuation of their tried and true lines are junk.

Joel Earl
04-30-2009, 6:40 PM
Gotta agree with the above Dan. My 693's are my favorite routers bar none for hand held. The 890 right there too.

Like everything in life all have some good and some not so good. Pick-choose-route

scott spencer
04-30-2009, 6:49 PM
We all have our opinions. Since $200 (more or less) will buy several different kits, I will push my favorite: Milwaukee 5616-24 (http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id=28710). Love it.

There's a bunch that are worth looking into....MW, DW, Makita, Freud, Hitachi, Bosch. With routers it's important that it feels good in your hands, as well as having the ability to spin a bit with precision and power, so get one you like. The Milwaukee 5616 kit would be at the top of my short list.

The Hitachi KM12VC is an excellent bang for the buck. I'm hearing positive reports about the new Craftsman routers but I know little about them....I suppose I'd consider them more of a risk than the Hitachi in a similar price range until proven otherwise.

For router table use, I consider the Freud FT1700 to be excellent due to the advanced above table features.

Chuck Isaacson
05-01-2009, 1:01 AM
Now I may be a bit of a newbie, but I just bought the Craftsman 2 1/4HP router kit that comes with a fixed, plunge, and D-handle bases along with an edge guide, carrying bag and dust collection attachment. I really like it. I think that it is pretty versitile. It is soft start with three LED worklights and has a nice micro-adjust. It come with a tool to raise and lower it when it is in a table as well. I got this all for under 200 buck on sale at sears. Pretty good bang for the buck.

Chuck

Paul Steiner
05-01-2009, 7:40 AM
Porter Cable is still maintaining quality on their routers. The 890 has good reviews on the creek and the 690 is still the gold standard to many woodworkers. You can still get a 690 from many retailers identical to the 690s made before the switch.

John Thompson
05-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Cannot speak for the newer PC's but.. I can speak for the Milwaukee 3 1/2 HP under my table (7 years) and the 5614 2 1/4 HP combo kit I got rid of Bosch and DW 621 to get last year. I have been though 4 various plunges but with this addition the search is over for me.

Sarge..

Charles Lent
05-01-2009, 11:59 AM
I have had two of the DeWalt 618B3 three base 2 1/4 router sets for several years now and have been extremely happy with them. At least one is in use every day and I have not had any problems with them. I own 12 routers from all of the popular brands, but these are the ones that I reach for most of the time.

Charley