PDA

View Full Version : Piano Inspired Segmented

John Beaver
04-30-2009, 5:23 PM
I made this to go with my brothers piano.
It contains 340 segments.
The walnut matches the piano, the rest is bloodwood, holly and ebony.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

alex carey
04-30-2009, 5:29 PM
Looking good, I like were you placed each stripe. Nicely done.

Jeff Nicol
04-30-2009, 6:34 PM
John, It is a very nice looking segmented turning! I have not tried one yet but some day, some day, I swear I will try one!!

Great job!

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
04-30-2009, 6:35 PM
John - great looking hollow form! Pretty cool idea! Very nice design and finish! Very nice work!

Ron Lynch
04-30-2009, 6:38 PM
Pretty cool, but I can't find middle "C"

Richard Madison
05-01-2009, 1:06 AM
John,
Appears to be a very well aligned and constructed piece with interesting theme (piano keys). The shape seems to have some fairly straight areas and some irregular curvature, so you will want to focus on creating a smooth, continuous curvature on your next piece. Still, a very nice piece of work that you can be proud of.

Robert McGowen
05-01-2009, 2:38 AM
I like the concept of the vase and the joinery looks good.

The overall shape of the vase is a little off though . It looks like you concentrated your efforts on the pattern in the vase, instead of concentrating on the shape of the vase, which is probably the most important thing. I almost always take a vase off of the lathe and stand it on a table and use a sheet of paper to block off the faceplate. That way you get a realistic view of the way the vase really looks, instead of seeing it attached to a faceplate and laying on it's side, while looking at it from 3 feet away on the lathe. Just my critique. I am sure that your brother will love it.

Bernie Weishapl
05-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Great looking piece and a very nice design. Well done.

Chris Rae
05-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Very nicely done! I'm sure he'll love it, it's a great piece!

Jim Kountz
05-01-2009, 4:44 PM
Well done for sure!! Love the form. Whats the dimensions??

John Beaver
05-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks for all the comments, everyone.

To answer a few questions: the vase is approx. 7 X 12.

The inconsistency in the form has to to with a mistake on my part. I took too much away on one section of the inside, leaving me no way to create the form I intended. About 1/4 of the way up it bulges out a little, but it's down to a 1/16 and I couldn't take it in any further.

I really appreciate the critiques about the form, and I will work harder on that next time.