PDA

View Full Version : Tool History?

Joe Hardesty
04-30-2009, 3:02 PM
I'm curious as to what happened during the mass conversion from hand tools to power tools?

When power tools became available and affordable, were they immediately adopted as obviously superior labor savers? Was there much or any serious discussion or debate that hand tools might be superior for certain applications?

At the time, were there any publications for furniture makers or woodworkers which might have provided editorial comment on the transition?

My recollection, from growing up in the midwest is that the transition for homeowners and hobbyists occurred in the 1950's. Is that accurate?

Thanks for your insights,

Joe

Jim Koepke
04-30-2009, 3:52 PM
I'm curious as to what happened during the mass conversion from hand tools to power tools?

When power tools became available and affordable, were they immediately adopted as obviously superior labor savers? Was there much or any serious discussion or debate that hand tools might be superior for certain applications?

At the time, were there any publications for furniture makers or woodworkers which might have provided editorial comment on the transition?

My recollection, from growing up in the midwest is that the transition for homeowners and hobbyists occurred in the 1950's. Is that accurate?

Thanks for your insights,

Joe

I do not think it was so much a "mass conversion" as it was the on going changes to society. The industrial revolution is stated as starting at the end of the 18th century. It took time to move along. Away from the main centers of commerce, things were often still done by "the old ways."

Toward the end of the 19th century there was more industry established for people to find a steady job. There was also the invention of the incandescent lamp. Before this, there was no need for electrical distribution. Once there was electricity in homes and factories, entrepreneurs were determined to produce devices that everyone could use and want.

At one time, every household likely needed a hand saw and maybe a plane to do simple repairs around the home. As people became more able to provide for themselves, they would more often hire someone to tackle these chores. Those doing the chores would see more income from being able to do the job quickly. To do a job quickly required power tools.

Carpenters laid down their hand saws and started using table saws and circular saws. Buildings went up faster. Faster building equaled more money.

There were also a couple of wars that brought many new innovations.

The industrial revolution was not an over night affair. It is still going on after more than two centuries.

jim

Sean Hughto
04-30-2009, 4:42 PM
I remember it well. The year was 1948. The government put out huge dumpsters in most neighborhoods in our area for the disposal of hand tools. I wanted Dad to throw in the hammer, so we could get an electric one, but he said no, he'd read an article in Popular Mechanics Woodworking special issue that said electric hammers were still being worked out with some sort of compressor and what not, but the 220 plug in ones were underpowered for anything larger than a finish nail, and even at that, took nearly 2 minute to drive each one. We did get our electrical plumb bob and paring chisels though. I thought the cords in those days were never long enough. And heaven help you if you were working outside. Why one time, my dad was using the electric plumb bob to rebuild our chimney after the creosote fire, and we had to string about 6 extension cords to get him the power. Still, everyone agreed pretty much from 1948 on, that those electrical tools made our hand tools obsolete. ;-)

Jim Rimmer
04-30-2009, 5:51 PM
I watched a program on the History Channel several months back about the evolution of power tools. They said that the push really came during WW2 when factory workers were encouraged to take tools home (including electric drills) to repair things at home to save materials for the war effort. After the war, people wanted these tools for their own and created the demand for home power tools.