PDA

View Full Version : Which glue to use?

Brian Walter
04-30-2009, 2:30 PM
I'm in the process of building a fireplace mantel and need to glue several pieces of wood together. I know that typical yellow wood glue is heat sensitive, as you can use the iron on method for applying veneer. So I'm a little concerned that the heat from the fire (gas fireplace) might cause the normal yellow glue to let loose. I intend to follow the fireplace manufacturers recommendations regarding clearances, but I know from looking at fireplaces in the showrooms, the wood on some of them gets really hot. My mantel will be about 20" above the fireplace opening and will stick out about 7", so I don't expect my mantel to get as hot as some of them in the show rooms, but none the less I am concerned.

I would appreciate suggestions on other glue choices.

Brian Walter

Chris Padilla
04-30-2009, 2:33 PM
Epoxy and plastic resin glue might be the ticket but you may wish to consider more mechanical joinery if you're really concerned (i.e. dovetails).

Thomas S Stockton
04-30-2009, 5:58 PM
I'm assuming it is the type of gas fireplace that you can not put wood in. If that is the case I would just use regular titebond. In my experiance they don't get nearly as hot as a wood burning one. If your worried at all use Weldwood plastic resin glue. I'm not a huge fan of epoxy for stuff like this but a good quality one like West system would work well.
Tom

Greg Deakins
05-01-2009, 10:13 AM
I have no idea about glues, really. So take this as an ignorant suggestion, but I dont think silicone is heat sensitive as much, and once that stuff grabs its over. Takes all night to do so though. We used it to put ALL the trim up in a 35 story hotel, door casing, crown, base, even wainscot. Passed some strict standards.