PDA

View Full Version : Hollowing Bars

John Frigillana
04-30-2009, 2:16 PM
:confused:For those that make their own hollowing tools, what type of bars do you favor, straight or swan neck. I 'm making 5/8" bars, currently I am using 1/2" bars that I made using the Sorby or Elbo type of bit holder( round adjustable type). Whats your comments and experience with both types?:rolleyes:

Burt Alcantara
04-30-2009, 3:53 PM
I use straight bars with cutters at a 45 degree angle. So far, they have done what I've needed but I will be making a bent bar so I can access flatter top forms. I suppose I could do the same with just a longer cutter but I haven't tried that yet.

I'd say start with a straight bar and cutters angled off to whatever angle you're comfortable with and see where that takes you.

Burt

Bernie Weishapl
04-30-2009, 3:59 PM
I start the hollowing process with the straight bar. I hollow down to maybe half way then go to the straight bar with the cutter at 45*. To finish the neck and curve some of which have a sharp curve I use the swan neck as it is much easier.

Jeff Nicol
04-30-2009, 6:49 PM
:confused:For those that make their own hollowing tools, what type of bars do you favor, straight or swan neck. I 'm making 5/8" bars, currently I am using 1/2" bars that I made using the Sorby or Elbo type of bit holder( round adjustable type). Whats your comments and experience with both types?:rolleyes:
Keoni, I use both straight, hooked or swan necked. I have them in 1/4" up to 5/8" and they all have their use. The more you have the more you want! If you need one make one, for small opening HF's you will need a tighter swan neck to hollow it out so make a lot and you will find a use for them.

Good luck,

Jeff

Ryan Baker
04-30-2009, 11:55 PM
All of the above. I find that all of the styles and sizes are useful at certain times. I do like the Ellesworth style angled tool, as long as the tip isn't too long. If you try to use too long a cutter there, you will quickly wish you hadn't. (I have the Ellesworth High Shoulder tool, and that is one scary thing to mess with!) Swan neck tools are great, but those don't always fot right either. Especially if you tend to do forms with small openings and wide, flat shoulders inside the rim, you will likely need something you won't find on the shelf. But these tools are easy enough to make that it is just part of the fun to experiment with new shapes until you find one that works for you.

As for the adjustable cutters, i'm not a fan at all, though I do occasionally use them.Mine seem to have a bad tendency to loosen in use and start moving. I much prefer to just make up multiple tools in different shapes with fixed cutters.

Reed Gray
05-01-2009, 12:43 PM
For a straight bar, I have the Eliminator which is a straight shaft, but the end is tapered down like a pencil. This allows you to get more than a straight cut. For the other bent ones, I prefer the McNaughton. I like different bends/swan/goose necked tools to the adjustable ones. Easier to switch out the blade than to adjust the cutter.
robo hippy