PDA

View Full Version : Incra Miter 1000SE Question

Paul Fitzgerald
04-30-2009, 2:13 PM
I'm hoping someone can answer this quick question before I buy it.

The fence extends to 31". I need to crosscut rails and stiles up to 30". I assume the flip stop takes away from the 31", but was wondering if the position of the fence in realation to the gauge has any bearing on the overall cross cutting capacity.

Thanks!

Prashun Patel
04-30-2009, 2:33 PM
Mine's at home, so I'll check tonite for you for sure.

Even if the flipstop takes up 3", you can slide the fence relative to the miter gauge. This will give you another few inches relative to the blade.

Matt Day
04-30-2009, 3:15 PM
I think you can move the flip-stop piece past the edge as well, and only use one of the plastic thumbscrews to hold it in place. That should gain you another inch or two as well. Also, you can probaby scoot the gold piece of fence (that the flip stop attaches to) out a bit to pick up a bit of lenth. I love that miter gauge!

Cary Falk
04-30-2009, 3:46 PM
I just measured mine with everything extended about as far as you possibly can and still have it hold its position. I could get 35" if needed. Would you want to? Probably not. 30" is definitely doable.

Scot Ferraro
04-30-2009, 3:50 PM
What others have said -- it extends past 30 inches no problem and is very flexible -- the flip-stop actually converts into two flip-stops by sliding the rod out and that gains you additional length. This is a very good guage -- I had to shim mine to get it square to the table, but the miters have been dead-on in all settings.

Scot

Eric Roberge
04-30-2009, 3:51 PM
I assume that you found a deal on the 1000SE and yes, I believe it will handle your 30" cuts. Mine is at home too or I would give you an exact measurement.
Another option is the 3000SE. That extends up to 49". (More scratch though) $243 @ Amazon.

Love mine (1000SE)

John Thompson
04-30-2009, 3:59 PM
If you want to go longer than 31" and don't want to spend the extra for the 3000.. simply laminate a couple of sheets of ply.. take off the stock fence and attach. A stop block is had with a piece of square scrap wood and a Quik-clamp to attach to false face. I was cross-cutting 44" just yesterday using this methold. I just keep the false fence capable of 48" on a wall until I need it.

Sarge..

Paul Fitzgerald
04-30-2009, 5:18 PM
Thanks guys! I just placed the order.

And for a future option, I can purchase an upgrade to the fence alone:

INCRA Telescoping Flip Fence 27" to 49" (http://www.incrementaltools.com/INCRA_Telescoping_Flip_Fence_27_to_49_p/flipfnc27-49.htm)
INCRA Telescoping Flip Fence 36" to 64" (http://www.incrementaltools.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FLIPFNC36-64)

And attach the 18" to 31" Flip Fence (that is included with the 1000SE) to my V27. :D

Thanks again!

Ed Sallee
04-30-2009, 7:03 PM
I have a 1000SE and hardly ever use the telescoping thing a ma jig.... I just use some birch or maple and screw it in the back of the miter gauge so I can have the anti-splintering effect of using a backing board. Can't do that with the aluminum. The angles are still dead nuts on.... and I can cut the backing board as long as I need it and use it over and over again, flip it over and keep using it some more.

I just clamp on a stop block the old fashioned way.....