PDA

View Full Version : Dell upgrade

Dick Adair
04-30-2009, 1:24 PM
I have a Dell 3000 with a 40 gb hard drive. I want to replace it with a 320 gb. Can I do this with the software on the preloaded drive or do I need to take it to a shop. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Anthony Scira
04-30-2009, 1:29 PM
Just add a second drive to your machine.

Really simple to do. Just make sure you buy the right drive SATA or IDE.

And you mind as well go for the 1TB for 99 dollars.

Chuck Wintle
04-30-2009, 2:08 PM
I have a Dell 3000 with a 40 gb hard drive. I want to replace it with a 320 gb. Can I do this with the software on the preloaded drive or do I need to take it to a shop. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
You can make an image of the current drive with the setup software from the hard drive manufacturer.

Randal Stevenson
04-30-2009, 3:13 PM

BEFORE you copy your stuff over, no matter what software you use, see if your Dell see's the drive, and how much of it. I believe it may be old enough to not see the drive as a large one, but am unsure.

Joe Pelonio
04-30-2009, 4:11 PM
It will take 80gb, that was an option on them and I have seen 12ogb drives advertised for them, beyond that I don't know.

I'd suggest taking it out first, and with you to a place like Fry's where they can look at it and make sure you buy the right one. In most cases even if it cannot handle the larger size it will work if you partition it as two different smaller drives.

I recently replaced a laptop drive, it's worth buying a USB external drive case w/software to be able to mirror the old drive onto the new and not have to reinstall everything and restore backup data files.

Dick Adair
04-30-2009, 4:21 PM
I do not need 320 gb, that was suggested to me. Probably 160 gb would be large enough. But I think I will let someone do it for me. Thanks again.