PDA

View Full Version : What to do with old Planer & Jointer heads?

Edward Garrett
04-30-2009, 11:04 AM
I recently replaced the standard heads/blades on my 20" planer and 8" jointer with Shelix heads. Now I am wondering what to do with the old heads?

Kirk Poore
04-30-2009, 11:37 AM
I recently replaced the standard heads/blades on my 20" planer and 8" jointer with Shelix heads. Now I am wondering what to do with the old heads?

At least for the planer head, see it to somebody who's converting from a square head or clamshell head jointer.

No, really, I'm serious. With some machine work, this is quite practical. This has been done by several goys on the OWWM.org site. There was a guy looking for a replacement head within the last week or two.

Kirk

Myk Rian
04-30-2009, 1:23 PM
Post them in the for sale forum or on craigslist.

Jeff Duncan
04-30-2009, 3:10 PM
If they're import machines the heads will likely be too small for most OWWM. The heads on those machines are generally bigger diameters than the skinny ones used on most 'affordable' machinery.
You can put them on CL or the 'bay' and see if you get any luck, but more than likely you'll just end up pigeon-holing them somewhere as more guys are changing to insert heads, not many going to opposite way.
good luck,
JeffD

Cary Falk
04-30-2009, 4:10 PM
I plan on tucking them away. When/if I go to sell machine I will put the old head back in an sell the spiral separate. I think you will get more money that way.