PDA

View Full Version : Glass Block Wall

Bob Moyer
04-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Has anyone every taken on this project; particularly one as part of a shower.

Tom Godley
04-30-2009, 11:24 AM
I have only done some small glass block projects myself -- like closing in basement windows in the city.

They make a special mortar to work with the block - but I am not so sure how different it actually is from regular mortar. I had a shower done years ago but did not do this myself. My mason used regular mortar mix using fine sand -- the mortar needs to be dryer than a normal mix as the glass block will not wick away the moisture like bricks or block -- you also can not build as high each day because the mortar will require more time to set. Another thing to be careful of is cleaning up - as the sand in the mortar will scratch the glass if you try to clean up the joints like you would a block wall.

I was recently in a house of an artist friend who is rehabbing an old structure and he did a lot of glass block in the bathroom - it was not finished when I saw it but he installed LED lights within the blocks. I was in an apartment years ago that did a dividing wall out of glass block -- the couple installed two different neon tubes with in the wall -- very cool.

Jeffrey Makiel
05-01-2009, 9:59 AM
Bob,
My brothers and I have done a couple of small home projects. The most recent project was an interior glass block window between the shower stall and separate tub area.

It's not the easiest thing to do for a homeowner like me. And, I'm far from being an expert mason. But, here are a few things I've learned...

1. Use the plastic corner spacers that are made to specifically hold the block while setting in mortar.

2. Mix the mortar to be very, very dry. The glass has no water absorption.

3. Use horizontal metal ties every three courses across the entire horizontal mortar joint. The ties should be bent 90 degrees and attached to the side vertical framing studs with small galv deck screws.

4. A premium quality silicon may be a good mortar option between the glass block and the building's structure if there is concern of movement, like in a corner wall joint.

5. After you strike the joints with a striking tool (a rounded spatula thingy), wipe the glass with a well rinsed damp cloth. Additional dry buffing of the glass with a clean cloth will also be needed. Do this before the haze is fully dry, that is, don't wait a couple of days later.

Good luck,
-Jeff :)

Mitchell Andrus
05-01-2009, 1:50 PM
Has anyone every taken on this project; particularly one as part of a shower.

Yes, exactly . I used clear silicone for the field grout and white silicone as grout at the tile bed thinking that a knock with an elbow would break a concrete mortar bond and..... well, the silicone gives a bit. A lot.

I placed spacers and laid 2 courses at a time, removing the spacers and then backfilling the next day. Open a window if you use the stinky stuff.