PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline Can Rant

Tom Godley
04-30-2009, 9:19 AM
I must have five of those new fanged gasoline cans with the "drip proof" spout - they are a joke

None of them work !! They spill gas all over the place. All of mine stick and you can not get them to close.

It looks like all the new ones have some kind of crazy spout -- anybody find one that actually works?

I have spilled more gasoline with these then I ever did with the simple spouts -- these are really dangerous!

David G Baker
04-30-2009, 9:24 AM
I use a funnel. The ones I use are the ones that don't need an air vent on the handle side of the can. They aren't the easiest thing in the world to use but I do not have any big problem with them. I have three of them and use them to fill my 15 gallon gas tank on my John Deere. They have a plastic tab on the outside of the threaded area that is supposed to act as a lock that can be a pain on occasion.

Tom Godley
04-30-2009, 10:13 AM
The type I am speaking of have a spring loaded spout that is supposed to open when you invert the can and push the spout into the gas tank.

Even using a standard funnel is a pain with these things when they are sticking - the spout is not designed to pour -- it is designed to fill the tank while it is inverted.

The guy at my local hardware store said that he can no longer get regular cans.

Jerome Hanby
04-30-2009, 10:24 AM
I don't remember the brand name, but I've got a can with a valve on the snout. I get it set up to dispense the fuel, press the button and let it go when I need the flow to stop. I bought it from my Snapper dealer, but he had no more when I realized these cans were not very common and went back for a spare. Far and away the best gas can I've ever owed.

Think this page shows the models (http://www.thegreathardwarestore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=105579&click=2744)

Tom Godley
04-30-2009, 10:56 AM
That is one I have not seen in my area.

The kind I am having problems with is the type on the second can -- the 5Gal upright.

From what I just read this spout thing is because of a law in CA -- from CARB -- that other states have now adopted - including NJ and PA a few years ago

Plus - now we have some new federal law that started 1/1/09.

Lee Schierer
04-30-2009, 11:58 AM
I like the new cans with the spring loaded spouts. It works great for filling the lawn mower and snowblower. I've had mine over a year and have not had the spout stick open. I will agree the new cans are a pain when you have to fill a car gas tank. There was a special funnel that came with mine for hard to reach filler openings. It works okay, but not waht you would call great.

As I understand it there is a federal law that requires the new cans sold to have the self closing spout to prevent gas fumes from escaping.

David G Baker
04-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Tom,
I misunderstood the type of can you were talking about. I use one for my chainsaw and weed whacker. I have spilled gas on occasion when filling the tanks because I can't always get the spout straight due to the handle on my chainsaw but I like it better than some other cans for filling the small tanks. I try to pull the can early by listening to the gas flow and when I succeed I only loose a drip or two. There are different manufacturers I am sure so some may be better than others.

Carlos Alden
04-30-2009, 12:42 PM
I remember when those gas spouts - the spring loaded ones that spray gas all over the place - were required in NY State. Very difficult to work with, and really did release a LOT more gas than regular tanks.

Now Washington State, where I live, is requiring similar spouts, although these seem a little more sensible. You should have heard me rant in the store when I bought a new gas can.

One has to pull the collar back and squeeze a release. But it's still futzing with something, and gas can still spill.

I'm all in favor of more environmental regulations. There must be a better way to implement them - these things do seem to make more of a mess.

Carlos

Tom Godley
04-30-2009, 1:13 PM
Well it looks like what went into effect recently has to do with not only a change in the spout but also a change in the plastic used to make the container

The containers will have to be made with a less permeable plastic - because of this change one of the big makers to the USA (Canada) has decided to stop making them as the new plastic will no longer work with the current manufacturing process and they do not make enough on them to retool.

I now know much more about gasoline cans than I think I need to. Somehow I think we will see CHINA on all the new cans.

Dan Mages
04-30-2009, 3:46 PM
Yeah. We have them here in CT as well. I actually had a problem where the anti-spill valve trapped gas in the can and it blew up like a baloon. I had to carefully vent the built up gas praying that it would not blow up in my face.

Peter Stahl
05-01-2009, 8:28 AM
I hate them too. Looks like Blitz makes one that would be easier to use. Go to the Blitz web site they have all different sizes. Looks to be a 2.5 gal, ace hardware web site had them for $7.99

Tom Godley
05-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Peter: That looks to be the same design as the one at my local hardware store - minus the clear extension spout.

This looks to be a much better design -- on some small engines the gas tank is not easy to reach without an extension.

Peter Stahl
05-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Peter: That looks to be the same design as the one at my local hardware store - minus the clear extension spout.

This looks to be a much better design -- on some small engines the gas tank is not easy to reach without an extension.

You can get the spout separately. Picture is from the Blitz site. Don't have one of these yet but will when I see them in a store near me.

Karl Brogger
05-01-2009, 8:11 PM
These are the best gas cans ever.

http://www.bobscycle.com/prodimg/GAS.CAN.VP.RED.5GALLON.GIF

www.bobscycle.com/browse.cfm/4,28216.html (http://www.bobscycle.com/browse.cfm/4,28216.html)

Mike Cutler
05-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Tom

The "Scepter" line of gas "cans" at Tractor Supply seem to work fairly well. I still hate 'em, but they don't leak.

Warning on all the new cans. Don't leave them in the sun. I know the old style had the same warning, but if they started to build up pressure they just popped the vent cap. these new one can swell up like a balloon. Mine scared the heebies out of me a week ago when it finally warmed up. Wow!:eek:

Don Bullock
05-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Tom, I have the same problem with those gas cans and fully agree with your concerns about spilled gasoline. They are a good example of the government requirements that don't perform the way they should. Instead of preventing pollution, hey cause a lot more than the older designs.