PDA

View Full Version : Is ir really true that when the BORG opens a new store...

nic obie
08-05-2004, 4:38 PM
We are finally getting a Home Depot in my town which should be opening soon. I have heard thru the grapevine that their wood quality when they first open is of a better grade than their usual stock.

Anybody else heard this.

Think I should save up my money so I can stock up?

Tim Morton
08-05-2004, 5:01 PM
the only thing i have found is that the customer service is pretty good for the first 6 month's....but after that you're on your own. :confused:

Tyler Howell
08-05-2004, 5:13 PM
True Story! Keeps me going back

Pull up to the new store, first one in our area. People bussling everywhere. Start loading up a cart. Guy comes up to me tells me the HD ain't open for business yet:eek: .
Headed back to my car head hanging low. He comes after me and asks "was there something I really needed." Long handle spade shoval my reply. walks me in, I pick it out. "No Charge" Walks me out so there is no hassle!
Been going back and sending my friends. I do comparison shop and many things they just don't have. When all is equal I'll take the Borg.;)

nic obie
08-05-2004, 7:12 PM
True Story! Keeps me going back

When all is equal I'll take the Borgea.;) [/color][/i][/b]

U'll take the poison?

heshes :p

Larry Browning
08-05-2004, 7:26 PM
OK, I have heard the term "BORG" and I know that it refers to Home Depot or Lowes, etc... But what does it stand for? Is it an acronym for something like Big Ol Red Glob??
What is it?

Larry

Tyler Howell
08-05-2004, 7:32 PM
Quite surprised to read some of the problems others are having. I think store and regional management play a large part on support, content and atmosphere of a store. I've noticed a very different climate from say the HD stores of my neighbors to the east and south than here. Some of the most knowledgeable and ready to help are the retired tradesmen and women!! Good investment on the part of the store. I have a neighborhood ACE hardware just up the block that I go to for quick trips, & basics. They about smother you in kindness and have a lot of plumbing parts for this old urban neighborhood I live in. After gas, stress and convenience the local is a wash.
We also have a lot of compitition in this area. Many lumber yards. There is a company out of WI. Menards. IMHO cheaper, product line. Go well prepared because there help is strictly shelf stockers.;)

Doug Jones
08-05-2004, 7:39 PM
the only thing i have found is that the customer service is pretty good for the first 6 month's....but after that you're on your own. :confused:
Ours was more like two months. After that good luck.

Tyler Howell
08-05-2004, 7:42 PM
OK, I have heard the term "BORG" and I know that it refers to Home Depot or Lowes, etc... But what does it stand for? Is it an acronym for something like Big Ol Red Glob??
What is it?

LarryThe Borg was the race of half man half machine from "Star Trek Next Generation' that would "assimilate you" All thinking and working as one mind and body. They lived and traveled in a big box taking over the Universe. Kinda like HD:p

Bill Turpin
08-05-2004, 8:25 PM
The store manager told me "that the reason the tires would not hold air was because, I was abusing my garden cart". I was pulling it behind my lawn tractor. He told me I had to keep it on LEVEL PAVEMENT. Corporate backed him up in an e-mail. Where in WNC mountains does anyone have level pavement in their garden? The $35 tire replacement has cost HD at least $15,000 in business over five years! I bought it at night, the tires were flat before I got it unloaded from my truck the next morning. :(

Bill Turpin

nic obie
08-05-2004, 8:36 PM
BORG=

Big Orange Retail Giant

(I think :))

Christopher Pine
08-05-2004, 9:29 PM
BORG=

Big Orange Retail Giant

(I think :))
That may be what it stands for but the "borg " is from start trek a new generation.. The borg wwhere a species of alien I guess that "assimilated everyone else into its huge computer network and the "collective" controlled everyones actions.. The ship was shaped like a giant cube...
I just took it when someone refereed to the borg in referance to a large home center that is a referance to start trek in that it is so big... yet not real helpful at times

Chris

Todd Burch
08-06-2004, 12:26 AM
Around these parts, I am in the "Houston Distribution Center" area. This is where the #2 lumber is the bottom of the barrel.

A few years ago, I would looking to make a special purchase of a lot of birddeye pine from Bear Mountain. In all the phone calls it took to set it up, I learned that the Houston Market gets the lower end of the #2 grade pine, and Dallas, for instance, gets the "top of the line" #2 pine.

It's rare to see a good board at HD around these parts. My lumber supplier in Houston has both better quality AND lower prices than HD. I usually only buy at HD in a pinch.

Perry Schmidt
08-06-2004, 12:58 PM
Todd - now I'd believe that. And I'd believe that Lowe's would send it's 'lower end' to Dallas first :) The local HD about 3+ years ago hacked me off once too often. It was a great store, then got a new manager or something and went downhill fast. No problems - I go shop at Lowe's across the street. A fine store. But I always go back to HD for lumber. Same grades as Lowe's, but much better than the stuff at Lowe's. At least my neck of the woods.

So I find it interesting that they 'grade the grades' and ship it different places. That also explains why here HD consistantly seems to have better 2x4's, 2x6's, plywood, etc. than Lowe's. Never been able to figure that out.

Thanks for the info.

Perry