PDA

View Full Version : DIY telephone wiring - any online info?

Stephen Tashiro
04-30-2009, 1:01 AM
Please direct me to a good site for info on do-it-yourself telephone wiring. I may need to do some in order to get DSL working.

I haven't been able to get DSL to work. The ISP said to try to connect the modem directly to a jack near the "homeowners access box". I could not find a box like they described. I did find a metal box that said "Bell System" on its cover. The ISP said that I better call the phone company and have a modern access box installed. I called the Qwest Repair phone labyrinth. A lady with a foreign who had taken the nickname "Lunette" finally understood what I wanted. She gave me a number for the Qwest "development group". This number was answered immediately by a USA lady who asked me to wait while she booted her computer up. It was very slow. Finally she agreed to talk sans her computer. When I explained what I wanted, she said that she would give me "John's" number. I left a message at that number. John called and said he would speak to his foreman and call me back. He was as good as his word and he said the foreman will install a modern box tomorrow. It won't cost me anything.

After the new box is installed, I want to put in a line that will be a good DSL connection.

Tim Morton
04-30-2009, 1:28 AM
http://www.homephonewiring.com/index.html

Dennis McGarry
04-30-2009, 8:02 AM
Good info at that site..

What it boils down to is he was telling you to us whats a called a Home Run for the dsl modem. You need to figure out the best route from the NIB (its a little box on the side of the house that the phone line comes into from the either pole or the underground run. From there it runs into your house.

Once you have that figured out goto HD or Menards and pick up about 100 feet of cat 5e network cable. I use cat 5e network cable for all my installs.

You are only going to be using 2 of the six pairs of wire in it but it is solid core and twisted pair. This is great for dsl installs because you want to cut down any crosstalk from the lines. DSL doesnt play well with crosstalk.

I usually strip back about 2in to work with inside the NIB, and use the solid BLUE and SOLID WHITE wires Blue I will put to RED and White goes to GrEEN on the phone jack inside the NIB

With your DSL Modem you should have gotten a Standard phone jack or wall jack as well. If Not pick one up at HD or menards as well.

Connect the same way here.

Make sure you put the filters on all the other phone outlets in the house as well. This will now elimate any issues with possible old wiring in the house preventing the DSL Modem from syncing up.

ANy other questions just give a shout.

Dennis

Stephen Tashiro
04-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks for those very specific hints, Dennis.

Stephen Tashiro
04-30-2009, 11:34 PM
I looked at the site given by Tim Morton. It downloads pretty fast even with my dialup. Thank you, Tim.

glenn bradley
05-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Dennis hit on the one thing that we sometimes take for granted; you are trying this with the filters in, eh?

Stephen Tashiro
05-02-2009, 1:19 AM
Yes, I use the line filters. There is one wireless phone station and it has a filter. There is a filter on the line to dialup modem. I disconnect the line from the dialup modem when I try to use DSL. Those are the only two devices on the lines besides the DSL modem.

Ray Dockrey
05-02-2009, 1:42 AM
Good info at that site..

What it boils down to is he was telling you to us whats a called a Home Run for the dsl modem. You need to figure out the best route from the NIB (its a little box on the side of the house that the phone line comes into from the either pole or the underground run. From there it runs into your house.

Once you have that figured out goto HD or Menards and pick up about 100 feet of cat 5e network cable. I use cat 5e network cable for all my installs.

You are only going to be using 2 of the six pairs of wire in it but it is solid core and twisted pair. This is great for dsl installs because you want to cut down any crosstalk from the lines. DSL doesnt play well with crosstalk.

I usually strip back about 2in to work with inside the NIB, and use the solid BLUE and SOLID WHITE wires Blue I will put to RED and White goes to GrEEN on the phone jack inside the NIB

With your DSL Modem you should have gotten a Standard phone jack or wall jack as well. If Not pick one up at HD or menards as well.

Connect the same way here.

Make sure you put the filters on all the other phone outlets in the house as well. This will now elimate any issues with possible old wiring in the house preventing the DSL Modem from syncing up.

ANy other questions just give a shout.

DennisI use Cat5e cable everyday and all that I have ever used there is no solid white wire. Plus there is only four pair not six. Cat6 is the same way except there is a plastic t that runs through the middle of the cable to further separate the wires. There is as follows:

Orange
orange white

Green
Green white

Blue
Blue white

Brown
Brown white

Do you mean to say the blue white wire and not a solid white wire?

Okay I did some searching and I found six pair Cat5e but I wonder how common this is to get locally and since you only need one pair I am sure that the six pair is much more expensive plus harder to work with.

Dennis McGarry
05-02-2009, 1:47 AM
I use Cat5e cable everyday and all that I have ever used there is no solid white wire. Plus there is only four pair not six. Cat6 is the same way except there is a plastic t that runs through the middle of the cable to further separate the wires. There is as follows:

Orange
orange white

Green
Green white

Blue
Blue white

Brown
Brown white

Do you mean to say the blue white wire and not a solid white wire?

Yes, typed that before morning coffee. :)

Dennis McGarry
05-02-2009, 1:49 AM
Yes, I use the line filters. There is one wireless phone station and it has a filter. There is a filter on the line to dialup modem. I disconnect the line from the dialup modem when I try to use DSL. Those are the only two devices on the lines besides the DSL modem.

Are there any splitters in the house? Check to make sure on each outlet if there are more then one set piggybacked that there is no shorts as well