PDA

View Full Version : NYW Blanket Chest

Josh Reid
04-29-2009, 11:30 PM
I built this chest for a really good friend (was the minister for my wedding) and his wife. They just had a baby boy. He actually came nearly 3 months early. I had expected to have this done by the time he got to come home in May. Because he was early I had to up my timeline. He got to go home from the hospital last Friday, almost a month earlier than they had expected because of how early he was.

We are going tomorrow to go eat dinner and see the new baby and deliver the suprise to them. I hope they like it because I didn't ask them about it or tell them I was gonna do it. All their furniture for Kason's room (the baby) is pine in a similar finish so it should fit in.

This was my first real project. I have built a bookshelf and picture frames but nothing that was actual furniture. It took me about two weeks after work and in between coaching little league and playing on a couple softball teams. The pine was nothing special just some shelf grade stuff from a local hardwood dealer and tongue and groove cedar for the bottom. I finished it with a couple coats of brushed shellac and lacquer (First time using both and really liked them a lot) Learned a lot for this first project but its just the begining for the long list of honey do furniture I have to build in the future. Enjoy and let me know what you think. Sorry for the poor quality pics and hopefully they load ok first time doing this as well.

Josh

Rick Gifford
04-30-2009, 12:04 AM
I like it. A job well done.

Jacob Griffith
04-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Looks great..I'm sure they will love it.

David Gendron
04-30-2009, 12:46 AM
I like it to, like the simplicity in it, the good lines and over all look!
What did you use for joinery?

Jim Kountz
04-30-2009, 1:49 AM
First one huh? Fantastic!! Looks really good, I remember seeing that episode and I think you nailed it!! Im glad to hear there new addition is doing so well being a preemie and all. Im sure they will love it and everytime they walk in the room and see it they will be reminded of your kind gesture.
Job well done!!

John Keeton
04-30-2009, 5:34 AM
Great job, Josh. I remember this episode as well, and looks like you did old Norm proud!

I've often debated about using the brushed shellac and laquer - turned out very well for you. Encourages me to try this finish on a project. What brands did you use?

Mark Versprille
04-30-2009, 6:20 AM
Nice clean design. Pretty wood. The finish looks real good to me. A surprise like this super nice thing to do. I foresee it becoming a toy chest one day.

Kevin Godshall
04-30-2009, 8:21 AM
Wow, just goes to show you that simple and plain (plain in the Amish sense of the word: letting the wood speak for itself), makes for a very nice and admirable project. This should be a very good initiative for you to get out there and get your 2nd project done. Well done.

What did you use for lid hardware? Hinges/Lid Supports? Are you happy with the selection or choice you made, both in functionality and price?

Josh Reid
04-30-2009, 8:45 AM
David - Everything is mortise and tennon. Did all the mortises on the router table and the tennons on the ts.

John - I both the shellac and lacquer from the borg. Shellac was the zinnser bullseye clear and the lacquer was satin Deft. I think I would get better results with the finish if I could have sprayed them but overall I am pleased with them for the first time.

Kevin - For the lid I just used a piano hinge for now as the design called for. I need to look into some lid supports for when the little grows up so he won't smash his fingers. I can go back and add one later. I didn't look for the that hard so I need to do some research to find what I like.

Thanks everyone. Like a lot of you have said the design is great because of its simplicity (big on shaker/amish styles) I am actually really happy with the way it turned out. Being the first time using mortise and tennons I was a little worried the joints weren't going to come out well. All in all I cant complain much. Like anyone there are always a couple small things that could have been better but I still got a lot of years to go to hone my skills.

Cody Colston
04-30-2009, 12:04 PM
That's a very nice chest, Josh. As others have said, it's a clean, simple design that works well with the Pine lumber. I'm partial to Pine furniture, anyway.

Mark Carlson
04-30-2009, 12:24 PM
That chest was my 1st project as well. Yours looks great.

~mark

Michael Sobik
04-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Looks great! I have a soft spot for blanket chests, and yours came out really nice. I'm sure they'll put it to good use.

Eric Roberge
04-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Josh,
Great job! I love the simple lines too.

Funny, I'm going to be building this same project later this month. The wife wants it painted though. After all, she is the boss;)

E-