PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 8?

Jamie Buxton
04-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Any opinions about IE8? Good, bad, ignore?

phil harold
04-29-2009, 11:25 PM
It works, but I am not a fan of it

I lost my customized favorites...

It does pass the acid test 2

http://www.webstandards.org/files/acid2/test.html

David G Baker
04-29-2009, 11:38 PM
Phil,
Since I have started using IE8 my online pages freeze up once in a while and my computer frequently will not shut down at the end of my day. So far my only complaints.

glenn bradley
04-30-2009, 12:17 AM
Run Forrest! A coworker got it installed after a bit of a battle. I tend to wait 6 months or so on MS product releases as they approve of using the masses as alpha-testers ;-)

Dewey Torres
04-30-2009, 12:19 AM
I have 2 words for you..

Mozilla Firefox!

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-30-2009, 12:43 PM
I have 2 words for you..

Mozilla Firefox!

What he said

Paul Ryan
04-30-2009, 12:54 PM
I dont mean to high jack the thread guys. But for those of you that have used internet explorer compared to mozilla firefox. Can you explain the differences and bennifits, I am interested?

glenn bradley
04-30-2009, 1:36 PM
I dont mean to high jack the thread guys. But for those of you that have used internet explorer compared to mozilla firefox. Can you explain the differences and bennifits, I am interested?

Due to the nature of the systems I use at work I run a couple versions of IE, Firefox 3.0.10 and Chrome. Browsers are no more voodoo than word processing software. Its just an application and there are different ones. Firefox is free. I would suggest you download it and use it for awhile. Switchover or keep both if it suits your fancy.

Frank Hagan
05-01-2009, 12:23 AM

Firefox seems faster to me on most sites (I've heard Google Chrome is the fastest overall, beating Firefox by a bit). I still keep IE handy for those sites that won't seem to load without it (not very many, but every now and then you run into one).

Firefox does have quite a few add-ins that add functionality, such as Ad Block Plus, which is the best ad blocker I've used to date (it blocks not only pop ups, but also any ad on any page on the net). "Web Developer Toolbar" is a great add-in if you are building websites; you can use it to see the styles on a page. Those are two add-ins I love, but there are literally thousands to choose from, from changing the look and feel of the browser to managing email, etc.

Mitchell Andrus
05-01-2009, 8:44 AM
What he said

+1. FireFox 3 can't be beat.

Mitchell Andrus
05-01-2009, 8:54 AM

Firefox is 'open source' which means that Mozilla encourages tinkering by the geeks and often uses user contributions to tweak the code on the fly to make it better. The number of 3rd party add-ons is incredible.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

Burt Alcantara
05-01-2009, 9:35 AM
If you are running any version Windows, you should be running a non MicroSoft browser. Virtually all versions of IE have open ports that allow criminals to enter your computer and place malicious software that can wreck your computers or convert your computer into a parasitic host.

Firefox helps prevent these attacks. Additionally, Firefox has numerous add-ons that allow you to control all aspects of browsing such as controlling what cookies to allow using one click, controlling downloading, moving flash files to your favorite movie viewer if you have one, but the list is huge.

Since I'm a linux user, I'd have to go through a lot of pain to get IE installed. Now, why would I want to do that? Firefox is the default browser on almost every distribution of linux. That must tell you something. (Everything is free in linux!)

Burt

Adam Wissman
05-04-2009, 4:57 PM
firefox all the way. the only good thing about IE8 is the new tab selection, but mozilla has had that for a while now. plus mozilla is faster

Chuck Wintle
05-04-2009, 5:07 PM
another vote for firefox!:D MS, for whatever reason, cannot give the consumer what they want which is, in this case, a great browser. MS is too big and cumbersome and better coding comes from the smaller outfits.

Frank Hagan
05-04-2009, 11:21 PM
I'm a Firefox fan, but I want to clear up what may be a misconception. It is also susceptible to many vulnerabilities on Windows systems that allow exploits, just as IE is. Using Firefox alone will not protect you; you also have to keep the browser updated and use anti-virus software.

People running old versions of browsers on Windows computers are especially vulnerable. If you are still running v6 of IE or v2 of Firefox you are less secure than if you upgrade.