PDA

View Full Version : Do Photos on black have to be inverted?

Carol Barbero
04-29-2009, 9:48 PM
I'm getting ready to do my first project on black anodized aluminum. I believe you must invert the photo to make it work correctly but just want to confirm.

Tim Bateson
04-29-2009, 9:55 PM
Yes, you are correct.

Dale Davies
04-29-2009, 10:09 PM
hi all...i thought you only invert a picture if it's to be engraved on the backside of an object

Jim Good
04-29-2009, 10:30 PM
I think you are getting inverted and reverse engraved confused. For reverse-engraving you just flip the graphics over and engrave so it looks "correct" from the front side. Inverted deals with changing (or reversing) the colors. Others will be able to explain inverting in a better-to-understand way!

Dale Davies
04-29-2009, 10:59 PM
thanks jim...i understand it now....learn something new every couple weeks...it takes a while to sink in...have a good one!

Nick Napier
05-01-2009, 10:39 AM
One way to kinda remember is if you have something black making it light ( as in a picture) invert the pic If it's white making it dark don't.

Nick Napier

Brian Kent
05-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Also, remember that if you are reverse engraving from the backside of a clear object that lasers have light that only goes one direction. Therefore you reverse it from right to left but not top to bottom.

It's like the molecular alignment of a mirror which puts your left on your right and your right on your left, but never your feet on your head and vice-versa. That's true in the Northern Hemisphere; if you live "down under" you mount the mirror upside down with reference to Greenwich, England and don't get me started about Greenwich - from time to time it is a mean place!). I don't know if that applies to Australian engraving also.

Another proof is that you only see countries with laser satellite weapons in the Northern hemisphere.

Please feel free to post any further questions I can help you with.