PDA

View Full Version : first commisioned peice. crituqe please

curtis rosche
04-29-2009, 8:46 PM
here is the peice of cherry i was asked to make. i turned it green and then boiled it for a couple minutes. then microwaved it for 4 min. then boiled it again and microwaved it again. the second time i did it it made it warp alot more.

im not sure how to best show how warped it is but i think you can tell in the pictures.

Todd Burch
04-29-2009, 9:14 PM
Looks like a cherry bowl! Is it supposed to have tool marks on it at this stage?

Steve Schlumpf
04-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Curtis - what was it you were commissioned to turn? Just wondering if the warping was planned or an accident and if this is the finished version?

Bernie Weishapl
04-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Curtis I guess I am curious why you boiled it twice and microwave it twice. I would have did one or the other. It is warped for sure. Is it at the final thickness you want? Check this out Curtis.

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/boiling-green-wood.html

jim carter
04-29-2009, 10:52 PM
"first commisioned peice. crituqe please "

I before E except AFTER C , and crituqe is critique, this is my crituqe

Bill Bolen
04-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Curtis, is this piece finished with the turning portion? If not I don't think you have enough wood left to bring it back to round. If so I think you should try again for a piece someone has paid you to do..Bill..

Leo Van Der Loo
04-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Looks pretty rough Curtis you better start sanding and finishing it, unless you want a rough turned bowl of course :confused:

Brian Kent
04-29-2009, 11:42 PM
"first commisioned peice. crituqe please "

I before E except AFTER C , and crituqe is critique, this is my crituqe

I was just going to say that. You beat me to it:D!

curtis rosche
04-30-2009, 6:47 AM
the buyer asked for an unusual bowl, so i threw out some ideas and she chose this. slightly rough, i turned it green and sanded slightly. its smoother than it looks though. she asl wanted it to be warped. i am going to put some more finish on it today.

Steve Schlumpf
04-30-2009, 8:07 AM
In that case Curtis - congrats on a job well done as the bowl is unusual, slightly rough and it is definitely warped! Your customer should be very happy!

Bill Bolen
04-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Using your listed parameters she should be thrilled!…Bill..

curtis rosche
04-30-2009, 2:07 PM
paste wax is food safe for things like chips and apples and oranges right?

Todd Burch
04-30-2009, 3:04 PM
I prefer french onion or bacon dip for my chips. Caramel is good on apples. Oranges give me sores in my mouth.

The best finish for that condiment / fruit bowl would be mineral oil from your local grocer or pharmacy... look in the constipation isle.