PDA

View Full Version : Robert Sorby Universal Sharpening System 446

Mike Minto
04-29-2009, 7:40 PM
Here's something I just got - the Sorby Universal Sharpening System, the 446. I didn't like some things about the ProEdge (although there are things I do like about it); one of them was the difficulty I had in properly sharpening my Ellsworth fingernail gouge. So I am going to use my slow speed grinder, and the fingernail jig from the ProEdge on this unit; I hope this works as well as the Wolverine that I had did - I just have to fabricate a bar to support the boss which holds the jig. Will post another pic or two when I have it set up. (had to come all the way from Wales - couldn't find one in the US). Nicely boxed, I must say. Mike

Ron McKinley
04-29-2009, 9:36 PM
I have the Sorby ProEdge. Can't tell much about this one. It looks like a tool support table. Is there more?.......Ron

Mike Minto
04-30-2009, 9:11 AM
Ron, yes, this is a sharpening platform for use with a grinder; you can see it in use in Sorby's sharpening videos on their web site. There are, I believe, 3 incarnations, the 445, 446 and 447. It varies from a simple platform, to one that will accept the fingernail profile jig that the ProEdge uses. You can also put a tool rest like the one on the ProEdge on it to use the sliding jigs to sharpen tools. I will be using it primarily with the fingernail jig, because I don't like the way the ProEdge sharpens those kind of tools. I prefer to use it on scrapers, skews and other gouges. I could not find the 446 here in the USA; had to pay postage all the way from Wales. Mike

Ron McKinley
04-30-2009, 9:19 AM
Thanks Mike.....Ron