PDA

View Full Version : computer issue

Brian Robison
04-29-2009, 6:39 PM
Hi guys,
I'm trying to install a new hard drive in my computer.
It has a master and a slave drive right now. The computer won't recognize the new hard drive.

Dave Johnson29
04-29-2009, 6:45 PM
It has a master and a slave drive right now. The computer won't recognize the new hard drive.

Brian,

Check to see what the other drives are set at. Usually they use the CS (Cable Select) and let the IDE take care of it so set this one for CS too.

Just to clarify, are you replacing a slave or adding a third? If it is a third it is possible your DVD is on the second cable and for that one you may need to mess with the Master Slave settings on the drive and DVD. Some DVD drives do not do CS correctly.

Mike Null
04-29-2009, 7:08 PM
Brian

Try unconnecting the slave while you're installing the new hard drive and check to be sure your jumper setting is correct.

I'm assuming you're replacing the old hard drive.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-29-2009, 7:31 PM
go here
http://www.wdc.com/en/library/eide/2579-001037.pdf

I never use cable select Don't trust it.

Brian Robison
04-29-2009, 7:35 PM
The jumpers are right.
For now I just want to pull out the 10 gig, and replace with the 320 gig. It's also got a 40 gig as the master.
I may just leave the OS and the programs on the 40g and use the 320 for a slave.
I pull out the 10g and install the 320 and the computer doesn't seem to know it's there.

Chuck Wintle
04-29-2009, 7:49 PM
it may be the bios of the motherboard will not see it because of a capacity issue. check the specs and see what the maximum size for the MB.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-29-2009, 9:50 PM
Charlie may have it..
Also you didn't say what you were running for a Main board or the OS.
Have you done back to the board maker to get an updated BIOS and drivers?

And of course you may have a bad drive.

Did you Format it and F-disk it? Set the partitions?
You didn't say whether you have a new drive or not.

If it's new you gotta prep it.

phil harold
04-29-2009, 11:55 PM
if you are running xp
rightt click my computer --> manage
under storage click on disk managment to see if it is there
you can create partions or format from there

Dave Johnson29
04-30-2009, 10:33 AM
The jumpers are right.
I pull out the 10g and install the 320 and the computer doesn't seem to know it's there.

I can't see 320G being the issue. Probably the BIOS is not set to Auto-detect for drives. Depending on the BIOS that you have, the prompts etc may be different but essentially they will follow this path...

Put the 10G back in and boot. If both drives are there then shut down.
Restart and during the early boot sequence look for "Press Del for BIOS" or "CMOS" or something like that. It may be "F8" instead of "Del" Usually at the bottom left of the screen and usually highlighted.

If you do not get the "Press Del.." thing then it may be disabled in the BIOS. You will need to hold down a key during the early boot to see that option. That key may be Esc, Del F1, F5 or F8 and maybe something else. You need to get into the BIOS so keep trying different keys. If it contiunally beeps whie holding down the key, ignore that and keep the key down.

Whatever it is, press it. When you get into the BIOS area page through the options until you see the hard drives usually Peripherals from memory. Select the 10G and remove it. Use "Save and exit" and let it reboot.

Let it boot all the way through then shut down and remove the 10G and install the 320G.

Reboot and go back into the BIOS area again. Go to the hard drives again and select the position the 10G was formerly at. Read the Help options and select "Detect" or something like that.

Let it do it's stuff and exit BIOS (CMOS) using the "Save and exit."

Let it boot through and hopefully the drive will appear this time.

Brian Robison
04-30-2009, 11:37 AM
it may be the bios of the motherboard will not see it because of a capacity issue. check the specs and see what the maximum size for the MB.
Not sure how to check that.

Brian Robison
04-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Charlie may have it..
Also you didn't say what you were running for a Main board or the OS.
Have you done back to the board maker to get an updated BIOS and drivers?

And of course you may have a bad drive.

Did you Format it and F-disk it? Set the partitions?
You didn't say whether you have a new drive or not.

If it's new you gotta prep it.
It's brand new, how would I prep it?

Brian Robison
04-30-2009, 11:39 AM
if you are running xp
rightt click my computer --> manage
under storage click on disk managment to see if it is there
you can create partions or format from there
I'll try that.

Brian Robison
04-30-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm glad I have the laptop to be able to read all these tip while working on the problem.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-30-2009, 12:25 PM
put a DOS disk in the floppy drive or your CD whicvhever set the BOIS to boot from that and perform a Format.
If the problem disk is the only one on the system ( you unplugged the others and set it up as a single by pulling the jumpers off) you can format it and f-disk it without worrying that you got the wrong drive.

Invoke the format command by typing at the prompt: FORMAT c:\
then hit enter and follow the prompts
To Fdisk it you type in FDISK and follow the prompts selecting the partition sizes and setting one partition ad you primary active partition.

It's all very clear once you start.

And you can do it from the XP or Win 98 installation CD too.

Or you can use XP to do it from the control panel.