PDA

View Full Version : No more Smoking

Sean Troy
04-29-2009, 4:04 PM
I finally quite smoking. It's only been 3 days but I feel good. So far the cravings aren't overwelming and last only a short time. I've been sticking to my same routine as always to get into the habit of doing them smoke free. Seems to be helping. A pack or so a day for 30 years sure did consume a lot of money. Now that money will go to paying off bills sooner.

Phyllis Meyer
04-29-2009, 4:07 PM
Sean,

You can do this! I've never smoked (eating is my drug of choice), but so many family members have, and I have seen the worst with lung cancer (mom). You will not only save money, but will add years to your life!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Mike Henderson
04-29-2009, 4:46 PM
I quit many years ago and to really stay quit, I had to go through each situation where I used to light up a cigarette. One of the hardest was going to a bar and having a beer and not smoking.

But it seems that once you go through each situation (sometimes more than once) you've broken the "hook" and you don't have the craving next time you do it.

Congratulations and good luck!

Mike

Burt Alcantara
04-29-2009, 5:49 PM
I quit after about 20 years of smoking. At the time I quit I was up to 4 packs a day. One day, I felt too victimized by cigarettes so I just stopped. That was 30 years ago.

I hate the smell of cigarette smoke and have absolutely no desire to go back. On the other hand, I quit drinking about 25 years ago. That craving still haunts me every once and a while.

Burt

Eric DeSilva
04-29-2009, 5:49 PM
Good luck man... I haven't had a cigarette in 118 days, 17 hours, and forty seven minutes. Not that I'm counting or anything.

I found Nicorette gum helps, although its almost as expensive as smoking. But, it can sometimes help get me through some of the tougher moments--the bar with the beer, etc.

Sean Troy
04-29-2009, 5:53 PM
I do use the gum several times a day. It seems to help. When it's gone though, I don't plan on getting more. I want the nicotine out of my system.

Clifford Mescher
04-29-2009, 6:16 PM
I quit after about 20 years of smoking. At the time I quit I was up to 4 packs a day. One day, I felt too victimized by cigarettes so I just stopped. That was 30 years ago.

I hate the smell of cigarette smoke and have absolutely no desire to go back. On the other hand, I quit drinking about 25 years ago. That craving still haunts me every once and a while.

Burt
Funny, I quit smoking 25 years ago and it still smells good to me. Clifford.

Eric DeSilva
04-29-2009, 6:20 PM
As a physical addiction, nicotine isn't bad--I believe you flush the nicotine out of your body in 48-72 hours, depending upon how heavy a smoker you are. The big problem is the psychological addiction and the behavior patterns we have associated with smoking, which can last years. In the early stages of quitting, battling the immediate psychological issues strikes me as enough, so I went with the gum. They actually recommend using it for 12 weeks, and in the beginning up to 10 pieces a day--they want the nicotine in your bloodstream up so you are not giving yourself chemical signals to medicate yourself. I'm a bit beyond 12 weeks, but I maybe have a piece a day or so.

I tried the patch, but hated it. Caused me to itch where it was applied. Going to sleep was no fun.

Mitchell Andrus
04-29-2009, 6:34 PM
Good Luck.

Never touched them.

James Stokes
04-29-2009, 8:19 PM
I am in the progress of quitting my self. I am using the Chantrix to help me. The Chantrix is quite expensive but it really kills my desire to smoke. I have been smoke free for three days, But I do think I am going to have a problem not gaining weight though.

Chris Kennedy
04-29-2009, 8:28 PM
All the power to you.

Cheers,

Chris

Sean Troy
04-29-2009, 9:02 PM
I am in the progress of quitting my self. I am using the Chantrix to help me. The Chantrix is quite expensive but it really kills my desire to smoke. I have been smoke free for three days, But I do think I am going to have a problem not gaining weight though.
My Doc wrote me a perscription for the Chantix but i just can't afford it. Gum, keeping busy in the shop and yard,garden and thinking of the money saved let alone just being able to breath are getting me through.

Von Bickley
04-29-2009, 9:40 PM
Sean,

Congratulations on quitting. People that have never smoked don't realize how hard it is to quit an addiction. I quit on November 23, 1996 when I had a heart attack. It was one of the hardest things I ever did, but well worth it to be smoke free.

Hang in there and keep us up-dated on your progress. Wishing you all the best.

Ben Franz
04-29-2009, 9:52 PM
I quit about 24 years ago (2+packs/day) - it took a few tries but finally one time it stuck. Wasn't easy and the cravings lasted about 3 months. I have a nightmare about once a year where I've started up again and I'm completely depressed thinking about stopping again. Then I wake up and what a relief !!! Now, about that pizza addiction...

Ken Fitzgerald
04-29-2009, 11:09 PM
All you folks trying to quit.....HANG TOUGH!

I quit a little over 3 years ago. I smoked 1 1/2 packs a day for 41 years. One night around Christmas I was laying in bed reading and noticed I was wheezing. I asked my wife ...how long has that been going on? She indicated she'd noticed it for some time. I decided it was time to quit.

I used the Walmart brand of nicotine gum for 3 years and just gave it up 3 months ago. That stuff.....initially I used less than I could have....by the time I gave it up I found it to be more addictive than smoking.

You can do it! Hang tough! If you fall off...I did...I quit for 10 days...smoked another pack....and that was the last.....Get up and start again! You can do it!

Brent Leonard
04-30-2009, 10:18 AM
I haven't smoked in several years (7+ yrs) and find that the desire to inhale cigarette/smoke is still there, just not near enough for me to pick it up again.

Don't even have one drag off a cig or you'll soon be back to smoking. Doesn't even matter if it is after several years of abstinence, you'll be right back.

Alan Trout
04-30-2009, 11:57 AM
I quite smoking 4 years ago. decided it was to expensive and just quite cold turkey. Personally I liked smoking it was just the cost was way out of hand. I smoked for 20 years and almost 2 packs a day for almost 15 of those years. When I started buying discount cigarettes I knew it was time.

Troy, Of course this is just my humble opinion but, just a little advice, get off the gum. Everyone I have ever met that has been successful long term quit cold turkey. My brother has been chewing Nicorette for 4 years now. Talk about an expensive habit. Far as Chantrix goes I have 2 friends that took it and both had freaky nightmares and were pretty weird during waking hours on the stuff. They both quit taking Chantrix because of the side effects and just went the cold turkey rout.

I found after about 4 days chemically I was fine no detox after that. However the ritural aspect of smoking will continue for a long time. I still find situations where a cigarette would be nice but then I just think about how much money I have saved not only in cigarette money but cheaper life insurance etc.

Troy, good luck and with a little willpower you are going to do just fine.

Alan

Rich Bybee
04-30-2009, 5:15 PM
I quit a month ago (April 1st) after 25 plus years. It had just gotten too expensive. I used the gum for the first day of the quit, then cold turkey after that.

The first and second week were relatively easy. The third week was hell, with some really bad cravings. The fourth week has gradually gotten easier. I wish I could just fast forward six months or so and have it be done!!

Stay Strong!

Sean Troy
04-30-2009, 5:21 PM
Thanks for all the input. I know what to look out for now. I feel good on day four but won't let my guard down.

Dave Verstraete
05-01-2009, 7:58 AM
Sean
Great Job!! I quit on 8-1-02. Keep on quitting.
My two rules:
1. NEVER have the first cigarette...you'll be hooked.
2. If you do, begin quitting again....IMMEDIATELY

Burt Alcantara
05-01-2009, 9:43 AM
When I stopped smoking there were no crutches available. At that time I bought 1 pound of pot that a dealer couldn't move because it was closer to oregano then pot. I used this as my crutch. After a while I realized that I was still addicted to smoking but not nicotine.

Once I stopped smoking all things, I was able to stop smoking. I'm thinking it could be the same with gums and patches. Best is to bite the bullet and go cold turkey. Hurts for a couple of days, but then you're over it.

Some things I found: At least 70% of my smoking was situational. When I got off a bus or subway I always reached for a butt. After dinner smoke, smoke with beer/booze, smoke when eyes first open in the morning, smoke before coffee, during coffee, after coffee, smoke when leaving house, smoke when leaving work, smoke during work...you get the idea.

So, instead of any one of those breaks, do deep breathing for 2 minutes. You'd be surprised at how that can chase that craving away.

Ben, I have similar dreams of smoking in my dream and thinking all those years and now I'm smoking...arrggh...I'll never be able to stop again. Poison. Then I wake up and am greatly relieved.

Burt

Jacob Mac
05-03-2009, 2:02 AM
When I quit I drank a lot of water and constantly told myself "I am a nonsmoker". I tried to condition myself to look at the world as a nonsmoker rather than as a smoker who was depriving himself of cigarettes. It seemed to work for me.

Sean Troy
05-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I'm doing the water thing also. Does seem to help. Day 7

James Carmichael
05-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Don't mean to be a downer, but don't get discouraged if you fall of the wagon, almost no one is successful the first time.

Just keep tryin!

Sean Troy
05-03-2009, 3:54 PM
This isn't my first attempt. far from it. But it does seem different. Maybe this time I just want it more than before. I've gone this far, I REFUSE to go backword. :)

Gary Max
05-03-2009, 4:28 PM
Smoked for 32 years----heck I looked like I was on fire----I was getting close to 3 packs a day.
Just laid them down one day 4 years ago and never looked back.
In my case----I knew they where going to kill me if I did not stop.
No drugs or gum-----I just decided it was my life and I was in control of it.
Wish you the best---stay strong.
Never pick up the first one and you got it beat.

Rich Engelhardt
05-04-2009, 6:36 AM
Hello,
Good luck w/it.
At over $40.00 a carton, I decided the last carton I bought would be my last.

I have two packs left from it - so it's either going to be sometime today or tomorrow that I join you...

Jim Becker
05-04-2009, 8:03 AM
That's wonderful, Sean!!!! Hang in; tough it out. It will absolutely worth it in the long run.

John Shuk
05-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Hello,
Good luck w/it.
At over $40.00 a carton, I decided the last carton I bought would be my last.

I have two packs left from it - so it's either going to be sometime today or tomorrow that I join you...

About $80 here in NY. NYC is about $100

Stephen Edwards
05-06-2009, 7:29 AM
When I quit I drank a lot of water and constantly told myself "I am a nonsmoker". I tried to condition myself to look at the world as a nonsmoker rather than as a smoker who was depriving himself of cigarettes. It seemed to work for me.

BINGO!!! Jacob, you've hit the nail on the head! For me, the most effective way to quit smoking was to immediately think of myself as a non-smoker rather than as person who's trying to quit smoking.

Like someone else said, don't even take the first puff of another cigarette. It's a little lie that we tell ourselves when we say.......I'll just have one cigarette now! Also, as they other person said, if you do fall off the wagon, quit again immediately.

Something else that helped me during the early stages of quitting: I got some plastic drinking straws and cut them into the lengths of a cigarette. I still keep them around. When I get the urge to smoke, I pick one up and put it in my mouth, nibble on the end of it and roll it around in my lips like a cigarette. It helps.

Again, I can't stress enough the importance of attitude. You're a non-smoker, not a smoker who's trying to quit!

Best Wishes and Hang in There!

Sean Troy
05-06-2009, 7:57 AM
I do think of myself as a non smoker. It feels god. I go to the dentist today for a cleaning. Kinda funny, I smoked all those years and don't remember ever having so much as a cold, I quit and now I have a heck of a cold. Go figure.

Greg Peterson
05-06-2009, 1:42 PM
The chemical dependency wears off relatively quickly. The oral habit and its triggers test your will. Just recognize the triggers and deal with them in an appropriate manner, avoidance, modification or head on.

It has been many years since I quit. I still get the urge every so often, and the intensity of the urge remains about the same. The frequency of the urge is very rare and the duration is fleeting at best.

Once you hit the wall, so to speak, it just keeps getting easier and easier. You'll be just fine.

Dennis Peacock
05-06-2009, 9:38 PM
Hang in there buddy. I've been tobacco free for well over a year now. Only on extremely stressful days do I miss it...other than that....I don't miss it.