PDA

View Full Version : Steel City 5 Speed Mini Lathe Opinions?

Dennis McGarry
04-29-2009, 3:21 PM
Hello, I was going to go pick up a new lathe today (first lathe ever) from HF but the 249.99 model is now out of stock, sold three in a day. :(

Do looking at heading to the local woodcraft store. They have the Steel City 5 Speed Mini Lathe for 319.99. Does anyone have any thoughts on this lathe?

I am looking to do pens, eggs, small little cups etc and maybe a small bowl in time.

Figure while I am there might as well grab a mandrel and a pen kit or two to have, along with the bushings and turning tools..

Thanks
Dennis

Joe Scarfo
04-29-2009, 3:40 PM
I can't speak directly to the steel city lathe.

I sent you a PM (private message).

Tks
Joe

Dennis McGarry
04-29-2009, 5:01 PM
Thanks for the reply,

I have decided to go with rikon from woodcraft, only cause in the future I can add the bed extenstion to it if need be..

Gordon Seto
04-29-2009, 5:27 PM
Congrats, you have made a much better choice.
The low end speed range in the Steel City 5 speed lathe has design flaws.
5 speed- 500,1350,2200, 3000, 3600 RPM
The 500 to 1350 rpm jump is too great for turning bowls. The high speed range is too crowded.

Both are 12" lathes. The Rikon has a more desirable speed range:
Six speed (430, 810, 1,230, 1,810, 2,670, 3,900)

Bernie Weishapl
04-29-2009, 5:30 PM
Congrats on the lathe. I have a Rikon with the bed extension and it has been a work horse.

Dennis McGarry
04-29-2009, 9:16 PM
Just got back with the lathe, It is really nice looking in person. Spent a tad more then I was supposed to for this hobby but wife is understanding.

So far I have unpacked it and made sure all the parts are there. Have to work on moving the bench to its position in the basment now and start getting it setup tomorrow.

Woodcraft had 6"x3/4" maple blanks for .25 each so I bought 16 of those to pratice on. Since I went over budget on the lathe itself tonight, Have to wait to pic up the Pen Mill set and a few kits till this weekend. But Thats ok, I still have to go get a drill press as well.

Once I get her set up in position I will take pics and start a blog on a total New guy to turning..

I really want to tear into it now, but time has tought me to wait untill the initial exitment has worn down a bit, take time to read the manual and then start fresh the next day...

Thanks for the support so far...

Kyle Iwamoto
04-30-2009, 1:04 AM
Congrats!

Did you get the cheapo tools from HF while you were there? They're really a good deal.

When buying a drill press, check into the max drill depth. If you are going to turn pens, you'll need enough travel to drill completely through the blank. My table top press has 2" I think, and it's not enough. Someone else may be able to help with the travel. It's been a long time since I turned a pen. I guess you could measure a pen blank and add a half inch safety factor. Remember you need room to put the blank under the quill.

Mark Norman
04-30-2009, 1:36 AM
Waiting on the pics Dennis.
Congrats on the new machine. Its a good thing yer wife is understanding:eek:

Happy turning:D

Dennis McGarry
04-30-2009, 11:19 AM
First pic of the New lathe.

http://content1.myyearbook.com/thumb_userimages/large/2009/04/30/11/thm_thm_php2kLhM7.jpg

And I just had to try it out, Here is the first turning I have ever tried, no idea what it is, but I am calling it a HOOK! :)

http://content1.myyearbook.com/thumb_userimages/large/2009/04/30/11/thm_thm_phpgHd4Is.jpg

Now I need to go buy a grinder so I can sharpen these cheap menards tools, while I wait for a better set to arrive..

More to come!

Dennis McGarry
04-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Ok,

Second turning that actually looks like something!

http://content1.myyearbook.com/thumb_userimages/large/2009/04/30/12/thm_thm_phpSwBUVs.jpg
http://content1.myyearbook.com/thumb_userimages/large/2009/04/30/12/thm_thm_phpCaUECc.jpg

Why didnt I get into this YEARS ago! I dont know what the top is supposed to be, but it looked cool, could cut it off and then it would be a column I guess..

I dont want to stop turning things is that normal?

Ken Fitzgerald
04-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Welcome to the Vortex Dennis! And....now you know why it's so addicitive!..........Looks to me like you are close to have turned your first bonker. Keep at it and enjoy!

Tim Cleveland
04-30-2009, 2:43 PM
I have had the Rikon mini for over 2 years (and worked it hard) and it has always satisfied. Great machine.

Tim

Jeff Nicol
04-30-2009, 7:01 PM
Dennis, You will have many years of great service from the little Rikon lathe! I have the little SteelCity VS lathe and I like it just fine! I also have a 12x36 no name lathe that I put VS on, and a PM3520B. Have fun and keep the pictures coming!

Jeff