PDA

View Full Version : Guess I should show something

Mark Versprille
04-29-2009, 10:50 AM
I had to prove to "She who must be obeyed" that my tool addiction was good for something other than keeping me out of the bars. These are some radiator covers I've made since about Nov. I am not nor claim to be a photographer. The last one is made of red wood, the rest are poplar.

GERALD HARGROVE
04-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Very nice. I guess she is now happy with the tool colletion? Welcome to the creek.

Brian Kent
04-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Mark, those are very fine. I can't even imagine the wood drying that goes on in a radiator cover. How dry is he wood before you begin? I imagine the overall shrinkage is dealt with by the grain direction of the thin strips.

Are these all in your house? If so, nice variety of wood tones with similar designs.

Brian

Kevin Godshall
04-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Wow, very impressive indeed. A much better look than those old iron radiators provide.

Are the radiators still in use? Does the heat cause any problems with the wood in such close proximity?

Great job!!

Mark Versprille
04-29-2009, 11:58 AM
I don't know anything about the expansion/contraction coefficients of the types of wood. I didn't give it any thought. I just wang them together and hope for the best. They are all for my house. I saw some pics of Arts & Crafts furniture from the Glasgow School of Art and then made up the designs for the covers as I built them. So they are sort of improvised.

David Gendron
04-29-2009, 12:20 PM
realy nice work! I guess you will find out the hard way about wood movement!!

Brian Kent
04-29-2009, 1:03 PM
I don't know anything about the expansion/contraction coefficients of the types of wood. I didn't give it any thought. I just wang them together and hope for the best. They are all for my house. I saw some pics of Arts & Crafts furniture from the Glasgow School of Art and then made up the designs for the covers as I built them. So they are sort of improvised.

Mark, these are very well wanged together. I assume that it works because of many narrow pieces with spaces in between as opposed to solid panels with holes.

Brian

Ray McGrath
04-29-2009, 1:35 PM
Very nice! Almost makes me want to install a boiler and radiators.

Ray

Jason Tuinstra
04-29-2009, 2:40 PM
Man, I almost wish we had some radiators around the house! Very nice. I really like the design and execution.

George Beck
04-29-2009, 3:25 PM
Outstanding! A very nice sense of proportion and a very interesting design. I like it

George

John Keeton
04-30-2009, 6:05 AM
I'm trying to figure out how one would look around my vertically mounted geothermal heat pump?????

Very nice!! I am not sure with the construction methods you have used that you will have any wood movement issues - but time will tell.

Mike Parzych
04-30-2009, 8:36 AM
Hardwood radiator enclosures are quite common in areas where radiator heat still exists in most houses, such as my area. One of the key factors in stability is the use of 99% heat reflective foil covered insulation that can be had at most BORGs. The areas subject to extreme heat/moisture change, such as the top, remain cool due to the ujse of the reflective insulation. It also serves to direct heat flow out the louvered front. Only normal attachment methods that you would find in any hardwood piece are necessary. I've made quite a few and had no problems.

Check out the "inside protection" tab on this site:

http://www.eradiatorcovers.biz/

Greg Cole
04-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Very nice design and execution!
For being "wanged" together, I'd like to see something you "deliberate" on.;)