PDA

View Full Version : How big are 6" dust collection hose fittings on machines ?

Lewis Cobb
04-29-2009, 9:00 AM
And don't say 6 inches :D

I am thinking of designing up some new hoods for my machines and welding them up from some sheet metal (took a welding course last year and looking for any excuse to fire it up now).

I took a look at the 4" fittings and they are less than 4" - maybe about 3.75" - so that they go inside the flexible DC hoses. I assume that going up to 6" is the same sort of deal, but I don't have any 6" flex hose in my hands so I'm wondering if someone here could help me out with a check of dimensions.

Thanks !

Lewis

Al Barale
04-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Lewis
I made mine 149mm Dia (149 millimeter = 5.86 inch) and the 6" flexible DC hose fits on perfectly. Hope this helps.

Burt Alcantara
04-29-2009, 10:19 AM
In my experience different manufactures make different sizes. I have hose from Wynn Environmental which is smaller then hose from Woodworker.com which is a different size from Woodcraft. There are no standards.

Worse still is most don't report the ID/OD numbers.

You'll probably be better off buying all the hose from the same manufacturer so you don't go crazy. I have this problem trying to fit PVC to blast gates, PVC to flex, flex to blast gates. Nothing is standard.

Since you are handy with welding, you may be able to fashion adaptors for each set of joins.

Lewis Cobb
04-29-2009, 10:24 AM
In my experience different manufactures make different sizes. I have hose from Wynn Environmental which is smaller then hose from Woodworker.com which is a different size from Woodcraft. There are no standards.

Worse still is most don't report the ID/OD numbers.

You'll probably be better off buying all the hose from the same manufacturer so you don't go crazy. I have this problem trying to fit PVC to blast gates, PVC to flex, flex to blast gates. Nothing is standard.

Since you are handy with welding, you may be able to fashion adaptors for each set of joins.

Burt - that's a big assumption on your part :D.

Good advice though on the hose / mfg / non standard etc. I think I better plan on getting the hose before I finalize things.

Cheers,
Lewis

Lewis Cobb
04-30-2009, 9:13 AM
Lewis
I made mine 149mm Dia (149 millimeter = 5.86 inch) and the 6" flexible DC hose fits on perfectly. Hope this helps.

Hi Al -
Just noticed the covering you have on your machine....hope you get it back in the house and re-installed before the wife finds out !
Cheers from Canada,
Lewis

Jimmy Coull
04-30-2009, 10:36 AM
I hope this helps. All of the 4" and 6"machine fittings are small enough for 4" and 6" hvac piping to fit over tightly. I cut 8" sections of the pipe and attach the hose to it and then I slide them over the machine fittings, this way they go on and off quickly. They fit tight enough so that i need to do nothing else for a seal or to hold them on.

Jimmy

Lewis Cobb
04-30-2009, 11:39 AM
I hope this helps. All of the 4" and 6"machine fittings are small enough for 4" and 6" hvac piping to fit over tightly. I cut 8" sections of the pipe and attach the hose to it and then I slide them over the machine fittings, this way they go on and off quickly. They fit tight enough so that i need to do nothing else for a seal or to hold them on.

Jimmy

Jimmy - this is useful info and something I had not thought of. Will keep it in mind as I move forward with my ducting system.

Thanks,
Lewis