PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with the MiniMax C26 Genius ?

Jamie Smith
04-29-2009, 7:27 AM
I am looking to better utilize the limited area of my shop.

Does anyone have any experience with the MiniMax C26 Genius (http://www.minimax-usa.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_bs.tpl&product_id=43&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=35)?

What brands/items are similar?

I don't know ANYTHING about these types of machines, and I don't ever see them discussed in the standard woodworking mags.

Thanks...

Steve Rozmiarek
04-29-2009, 9:13 AM
Jaimie, I personally don't know that machine, but Minimax sells good products. You asked about similar machines, look at Felder (which I use), Hammer, and Laguna (Knapp). These can be great machines, and an efficient way to save space. They usually cost less than the price of similar quality seperates too.

Think about what you want to do with one, what type of stock you process, and see if you think that you can manage your work style around changeovers between functions.

If you process sheet stock, you will want a large slider. Keep in mind that an 8' slider will take up about 20' of room for movement. Changeovers really bother some people. I don't mind them. IMHO, just think the work flow through, and you won't be swapping very often. Even when you do though, the brands that I listed have streamlined options to speed the process up. For example, I can change my CF 741 from jointer to planer in 22 seconds. That seriously is nearly as fast as using a dedicated machine, in far less space.

The Felder, Minimax and Hammer brands, are premium tools as well. Felder has the best electronics, and is priced highest. Minimax is great high quality stuff, and Hammer is another brand made by Felder. Any of these make the standard tools that most of us have look pretty crude. Laguna went through a phase of bad customer service, but appears to be getting it together. Laguna also has two distinct lines, a European line and an Asian made line. The Asian stuff is, well, cheaper.

I love having the five functions on one great platform, and am very glad that I switched. What do you build and what stock do you use? How big is your space?

Rod Sheridan
04-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Jamie, we have many MiniMax users on the forum, I'm sure that some will reply to you.

I agree with Steve's post, look at Felder and Hammer as well.

When I was comparing the Hammer/Minimax/Felder machinery, my personal impression was that the machine you are looking at is not up to the rest of the Minimax line in performance, quality, capacity, or cost.

My impression with it was it as a lower end machine to compete with Taiwanese equipment as opposed to the main stream European offerings.

Have a look at all 3 brands, superb machines that give you capacity, accuracy and features that make North American machinery decidedly inferior.

Regards, Rod.

Jamie Smith
04-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Well, I have to say that I watched that video (http://mirrorfelder.cnh.at/felder_dvd_alleskoenner/HiRes/FELDER_Die_Alleskoenner_2007_EUS.wmv) on the 741, and all I can say is wow. Granted, no stinkin' way I can afford it, but wow.

Rod Sheridan
04-29-2009, 2:32 PM
Well, I have to say that I watched that video (http://mirrorfelder.cnh.at/felder_dvd_alleskoenner/HiRes/FELDER_Die_Alleskoenner_2007_EUS.wmv) on the 741, and all I can say is wow. Granted, no stinkin' way I can afford it, but wow.

Although the Hammer is less expensive, it's high quality, not as nice as Felder however. For example Felder has X roll tables, Hammer have the previous generation of Felder tables.

The Hammer slides very smoothly, the Felder, how does it slide? Well you'll be in the show room in a trance like state, mouth hanging open, sliding the table back and forth. Your wife will look at you like she's now sure about everything she ever thought about you.

The Minimax slides very well, just not as nice as the Felder. (Once again price, you do get what you pay for).

MiniMax is also very good quality, and like Hammer, more affordable.

To me, the jointer/planer and saw/shaper as two machines is the nicest.

From any of these machines, you'll get quality and performance that you cannot obtain in the NA type of machines.

Next year my General saw and shaper may get replaced by a combo saw/shaper.

I already replaced my General jointer and planer with a combo jointer planer. Less money than the seperates, more performance/capacity.

Regards, Rod.

Jamie Smith
04-29-2009, 2:47 PM
Part of my dilemma here is that I am looking to retool my garage shop, and have been looking primarily at festool.

I can hog up one bay of a three car garage, and my current jet TS is taking up more than it's fair share of space.

After adding up > $6k of festool gear in the cart, I decided to see if there was another approach.

As much as I would *love* to have one of those combi machines, I think that they are well out of reach. That tilting shaper on the 741 was a thing of beauty...

Steve Rozmiarek
04-29-2009, 2:57 PM
Jamie, I just got my 741 this last winter, and it is quite a machine! I really can't imagine a better approach to anything that it does, and am firmly sold on Felder, and more broadly, the Euro combo machine approach.

When I first bought it, I remember thinking, well the tilting spindle shaper looks nice, but how often would I actually use that feature? Well, as it turns out, very often! One of the great things about the 741 is the feeder will reach the saw, jointer and shaper, which really beefs up the capacity.

Did you happen to see the Felder deal in SoCal post I made in the deals and discounts section? There is a listing on ebay, of what looks like a nearly new smaller CF 731, a big (24" maybe) Felder bandsaw, and a mortiser attachment on a stand, for 1/3 of new price. $11,000 for the works IIRK. Looks really interesting, might be worth a look anyhow.

Jamie Smith
04-29-2009, 3:33 PM
Wow, that does look like a great deal-- unfortunately they are on the wrong coast ;)

I did look around the felder/hammer site, and they have a special on the c3 31 comfort, for $10k. it looks good, so I called them and they are going to send me a dvd & catalog.

I can see it now, when I ask my wife: "Amy, do you mind if I spend $10000 on a hammer?"

Sounds like those old NASA jokes...

Steve Rozmiarek
04-30-2009, 1:43 AM
Well Jamie, she just might suprise you! I think it's all in the approach. Frustration with the current tools, add up nickle and dimes, talk about lifespans of lower quality tools, etc, then offer the solution. Cheap really when you put it all into perspective!:D Good luck though!

Larry Edgerton
04-30-2009, 8:22 AM
Jamie

At that price It is a bargain in my opinion, if it will do the work you want. You can't have a full size slider in a two car garage, so this seems like a nice option at a very nice price.

I have a shop littered with SCMI/MiniMax tools and I have no problems with any of them that were not of my own doing. I can recommend them wholeheartedly. The Feldor stuff has a little more polish, but is priced accordingly, and although it is worth what they get, if you can not afford at this time jump on this deal and start making shavings.

My one concern, and they may have a solution to this[most likely] is that it will not rip to the center of a sheet of plywood on the right side. It needs to be 24" or a little better to allow breaking up sheet goods for cabinets considering that the slider capasity is 42", in other words it can not rip a full sheet on the slider. Cabinets are normally 24". If there isn't a longer fence option it would be a deal breaker for me.