PDA

View Full Version : First Winged Bowl

Rich Boehlke
04-29-2009, 12:17 AM
This rascal was a challenge. It is a mesquite crotch that turned out to be more wormy than expected.
The wings got clipped due to stability issues and the large number of worm holes that appeared at the base caused the whole piece to explode when attempting to finish the bottom. Consequently, I decided to leave the tenon in place and consider it a "design feature".
It took a few hours with CA and sandpaper to reassemble everything after the explosion. That effort was only partially successful, some of the fracture lines are still visible.
A large crack was filled with a slurry of epoxy and turquoise and sanded flush. Finish is Watco oil.
I am not sure the end result is worth the time invested nevertheless, it was another valuable learning experience.

Steve Schlumpf
04-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Rich - I think the finished product was worth the extra effort! All the cracks, worm holes and missing pieces just add to the character of the piece! Beautiful rich color to the wood! I think you turned a real winner with this one! Very nice work!

alex carey
04-29-2009, 4:10 AM
that is a really, great job.

Harvey M. Taylor
04-29-2009, 8:23 AM
Now THAT is art.Couldnt possibly be anything else Max

Chris Rae
04-29-2009, 10:23 AM
I like it! It has a lot of character, I think it was worth saving.

Rick Prosser
04-29-2009, 10:53 AM
I agree - it's a keeper! Lots of character.

Mark Patoka
04-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Looks great. That was definitely worth the extra work required to save it. Display it proudly.

steven carter
04-29-2009, 2:37 PM
Rich,

I can't tell from the photos if it was worth the time or not, but I am sure that if you send it to me I will look at it for the next few years and let you know!

Steve

Rich Boehlke
04-29-2009, 4:43 PM
Rich,

I can't tell from the photos if it was worth the time or not, but I am sure that if you send it to me I will look at it for the next few years and let you know!

Steve

LOL Steve

THANKS for the kind words everyone!

Ken Glass
04-29-2009, 5:19 PM
Rich,
I like that one a lot. It has a very unique character you don't often find. "Definitely Art!" Great turning and the finish is perfect for the piece.

Bernie Weishapl
04-29-2009, 5:27 PM
Great looking piece. The wood looks good and has lots of character.