PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fox Opinions

Mike Mortenson
08-05-2004, 11:20 AM
I have a local dealer that sells shop fox. I am looking at a 17" Bandsaw. Please let me know what you think about shop fox equipment. My other choices would be Grizzly or spend $300.00 more for a Jet. Thanks

Ron Jones near Indy
08-05-2004, 12:09 PM
but, FWIW, I really like my SF table saw.

Aaron Heck
08-05-2004, 12:59 PM
but, FWIW, I really like my SF table saw.

me too!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim Becker
08-05-2004, 1:56 PM
While the actual relationship between ShopFox and Grizzly is debatable/cloudy (ownership at the top is the same via Woodtock International), depending on who you talk to, the equipment is "very similar". The major difference is the distribution channel...dealers versus direct. Pick your color...and consider that your local dealer adds a lot of value, IMHO.

Mike Mortenson
08-05-2004, 2:05 PM
Not sure How true it is but I have been told that jet and shop Fox are made at the same place just use slightly diff specs

Jim DeLaney
08-05-2004, 6:17 PM
I have, and really like, the Shop Fox table saw. When I bought it, from Battel Hardware in Whittier California, they had it displayed side-by-side with the Jet and Delta saws. I actually found the SF's fit and finish to be better than the other two. It was about 400~700 dollars less than the jet or Delta, too!

I've had it for about two years, now, and have no regrets or complaints at all.

Dave Bartley
08-05-2004, 6:39 PM
The Shop Fox brand is the "high" end version of the Grizzly products. The finish is far superior to the Grizzly as well as many other pieces of equipment now on the market. They market only through a dealer network.

As to the overall quality of their equipment, I think I can speak with some authority. I have the 6" jointer, their spindel sander (cabinet style) and last but not least their table saw. All have been trouble free from day one and have been very accurate right out of the box.

I am not affiliated in anyway with them (Shop Fox) just a very satisfied user/owner of their equipment.

Ken Wright
08-06-2004, 5:38 PM
cabinet saw that I purchased almost two years ago has been great. Everything dead on right out of the box and to this day I haven't had to true up the fence. Very dependable.

I've been waiting for 3 months for my dealer to come through with the 17" band saw. The only reason one is not in the shop is that he hasn't been able to get one in the store.

The dealer also advised that Shop Fox is developing/selling a full compliment of wood working tools ... he has their new shaper coming in the the next few days .. wouldn't hesitate to buy another Shop Fox product.

Jeremy Bracey
08-07-2004, 11:09 PM
I have a shop fox dust collector and one of my best friends has a sf 6" jointer and ts. We are both very happy. Also, my local dealer previously mostly sold Jet. (they have delta, Jet amd sf but sold mostly Jet). Now, thier primary line is Shop Fox. They claim that Shop Fox isnt only cheaper but is providing better dealer support/customer care. Over all, in my opinion SF might be the best Value on the market right now. You get Grizzly pricing with local dealer support!