PDA

View Full Version : New Guy saying Hi..

Dennis McGarry
04-28-2009, 9:02 PM
Hello all,

I have been reading the forums here for a couple days, Just about everything in this section. I am picking up a lathe tomorrow afternoon and jumping into pen building. Never tried it before.

By trade I am a computer consultant, (ie, self-employed geek), and need a hobby. So I figured pen turning is a great one.

After reading a lot and searching the net for specs, have decided to give the HF 34706 model a try. Just to get my feet wet, I would go with a turncraft pro but need the length as I will also be doing refinish work and sanding on cue sticks.

Just wanted to say hi and say great site. Hopefully will have some pic soon of first works.. I have lots of questions but will wait till I get started..

Thanks
Dennis

Dewey Torres
04-28-2009, 9:05 PM
Alright Dennis...welcome to the Creek and the Vortex!

Don Carter
04-28-2009, 9:53 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Dennis. There are lots of people here with lots of experience.

Steve Schlumpf
04-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Dennis - Welcome to the Creek! Thing to remember here is we all like lots of photos - so when you post your work....

Have fun!

Bernie Weishapl
04-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Dennis welcome to SMC. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. Congrats on the lathe.

Rich Boehlke
04-28-2009, 11:34 PM
Welcome, Dennis. This is a great place to learn from some very talented people.

alex carey
04-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Welcome and good to have you here, plenty to learn and Steve is right, PICTURES are the best.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-28-2009, 11:58 PM
Did you ge the HF lathe tools along with the lathe? Good CHEAP set of turning tools. Get your feet wet and buy good tools that you like.....

Oh, Welcome! There are a lot of very knowledegable folks here. (not me)

Dennis McGarry
04-29-2009, 12:44 AM
Thanks for all the well wishes.

I am driving down in the morning to pick up the lathe, getting a set of the cheap-o tools from them as well. A friend of mine that makes custom pool cues, is sending me a set of craftman tools he has had for about 15 years and never used as well.

I think I also need to pick up a mt2 live center since the lathe doesnt come with one.

I am really looking forward to learning how to turn wood. The whole lets create something that wasnt there is a great feeling.

I have spent the last three days, about 12 hours each day, doing nothing but researching and trying to find the best lathe I can within my starter budget, and this one seems to be it.

Anyone have any tips on wood I could pick up at like menards or Hd to try out on to get a feel for it? I have some pen blanks already ordered but do not want to touch them until I am mostly sure I can turn them.

Thanks again and I will post pics of the setup and progress pics as I go.. (including the inevitable newbie mistakes..)

Dennis