04-28-2009, 5:46 PM
who is running SATA hard drives?
Do you like 'em?
Fast enough?
What do you have?

Tim Morton
04-28-2009, 5:49 PM
fast enough for what? :D

They work fine in my mini...i have a 7200rpm WD 320gb as my main drive.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-28-2009, 5:58 PM
I may end up getting at least one so I'm fishing for info.

Jim O'Dell
04-28-2009, 7:06 PM
My wifes work computer has a WD 320 7200 16mb buffer. It seems fine. I have a 160 gig version in an external housing I use for backup on my computer via USB. Also seems to work fine. The nice thing is if your MB is set up for SATA, it is very easy to install multiple HDs. But if your MB isn't set up for SATA (different interface cable)....maybe there is an internal card to adapt? Haven't looked for one. I'd make sure your MB will work with SATA before you buy a SATA HD. Jim.

Chuck Wintle
04-28-2009, 7:20 PM
I may end up getting at least one so I'm fishing for info.

i have been using Seagate SATA drives for the last several years and i like them. The warranty is good and the price is right with the 1 Terabyte at about $140.

Curt Harms
04-28-2009, 8:30 PM
I just bought a new MB. In shopping I found many have one IDE connector and a half dozen or more SATA connectors. Monoprice.com among others sell adapters to attach IDE devices to SATA ports. I have a couple running and they seem to function well. No jumpers to set on SATA devices. No ribbon cables with 40 or 80 conductors.

Michael Roland
04-28-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm running mostly Seagate drives.
A pair of 750GB's in a network storage drive / media server
320GB boot drive and 750GB data drive in the main PC

They are fast, reliable, and plug and provide play installation.

Burt Alcantara
04-28-2009, 10:50 PM
What I like about the SATA is the cables. No clunky ribbons that never connect the right way and twist up all over the place. I've got just one but will be buying another very soon as I will be updating my OS (Ubuntu 9.04) and am growing files like dandelions.

Brad Wood
04-28-2009, 11:13 PM
I've got two... one 300gb for system drive. One 900gb for storage, video scratch, etc.

My work PC has them as well. i've not had any problems.

Neal Clayton
04-29-2009, 2:01 AM
the smaller cord is worth it alone.

Eric DeSilva
04-29-2009, 9:23 AM
I ran one of the 10K rpm SATA drives in my main computer, but it blew up after about 18 mo. Been running 7.2K rpm SATA drives since then and haven't had any issues (crosses fingers).

What I really want is a striped array of SSDs. Saw some viral Samsung video where some guys took 16 of 'em or so, ran 'em striped, and were able to launch all of Office 2000 in 0.5 seconds.

Course it would cost like an arm and a couple legs...

Chuck Stewart
04-30-2009, 5:11 PM
Ya gotta believe the air flow in the computer is better without those wide twisting ribbons but don't do like me and forget to unplug your internal card reader if installing Windows fresh or it might read those first and give your new drive a letter like j instead of the preferred c drive. In fact connect nothing but the power cord and monitor till your formatted and fresh install is done. So if you have a usb mouse and keyboard like most do it's "where did I put that green usb mouse adapter and that purple usb to keyboard connector" Also, my motherboard supports raid which I don't use but it makes me set the first boot devise as Scsi instead of Sata for some reason I know not why because I'm not stacking the hardrives

Ray Dockrey
04-30-2009, 5:31 PM
Ya gotta believe the air flow in the computer is better without those wide twisting ribbons but don't do like me and forget to unplug your internal card reader if installing Windows fresh or it might read those first and give your new drive a letter like j instead of the preferred c drive. In fact connect nothing but the power cord and monitor till your formatted and fresh install is done. So if you have a usb mouse and keyboard like most do it's "where did I put that green usb mouse adapter and that purple usb to keyboard connector" Also, my motherboard supports raid which I don't use but it makes me set the first boot devise as Scsi instead of Sata for some reason I know not why because I'm not stacking the hardrivesMost of the current computers no longer have PS2 ports for a mouse and keyboard. The Dell's we have been getting in don't have parallel ports either. Plus every install of Windows I have done (not sure about Vista) you have to choose the partition to install Windows. Also, the BIOS doesn't assign drive letters Windows does so you must have had something else go wacky when you installed Windows.

Art Mulder
04-30-2009, 6:08 PM
who is running SATA hard drives?
Do you like 'em?
Fast enough?
What do you have?
Everyone.
They work fine.
we have dozens of them. Got 3 labs full of windows machines, and another lab of Linux boxes, plus assorted office machines, so that's easily over a 100-200 desktop systems. Then many of our new storage units in the server room are also coming with SATA drives in them.

I think you haven't been paying attention, Cliff, ;) SATA drives have been spreading everywhere for the past 3 years.

or it might read those first and give your new drive a letter like j instead of the preferred c drive. ..

It is not that hard to re-arrange the drive letters. I had this on a couple of my systems at work, and a quick google search told me the menu magic (under WinXP) that I had to do to rename my drive letters.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-01-2009, 2:11 PM
Everyone.
They work fine.
we have dozens of them. Got 3 labs full of windows machines, and another lab of Linux boxes, plus assorted office machines, so that's easily over a 100-200 desktop systems. Then many of our new storage units in the server room are also coming with SATA drives in them.

Cool

I think you haven't been paying attention, Cliff, ;) SATA drives have been spreading everywhere for the past 3 years.

It has been many years since I did a build. Seven at least.
In between builds I drop out of the tech picture. The "catch up" game is always a PITA.