PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Powermatic/Jet model 64 table saw

Jason Hallowell
04-28-2009, 2:08 PM
I've been saving up for a decent cabinet saw, but the death of my cheap TS motor has promted me to start shopping earlier than expected. I don't have enough money saved for my dream saw, and I kinda need something in a hurry.

I talked with a guy this morning who's got a Powermatic 64 for sale, and wondered if anyone has any experience with this particular saw. I think it's the same as the Jet model JT-64.

It's a contractor style saw with a 1.5hp motor and a 52" biesemeyer clone fence. It's currently wired for 115v, but I think it can be re-wired for 230v. He says it's less than two years old and was used exclusively for ripping melamine coated particle board into shelf stock. It looks to be in new condition from the pics.

He had it listed for $400 for a while, and just dropped the price to $300 hoping to get it out of the shop he's moving out of before another months rent is due. He said if I get it out before the end of the month he'll throw in a few nice blades and a decent run-out/assembly table.

If this saw is as good as some of the reviews I've read, it may end up as a permanent fixture in my shop rather than a quick fix. Anything I should be wary of besides the usual wear and tear? Does this saw have any specific weaknesses I should know about? Any experience with the dust collection on this unit? Any feedback from someone who owns or has used this saw would be appreciated.

glenn bradley
04-28-2009, 3:24 PM
The motor, fence and wings are probably worth $300. You will, of course still have a contractor saw and all the ills that go with that design. I got by with one for quite awhile and it served me well. I did not, however, replace it with another one BUT, I was lucky in the timing whereas Murphy has targeted you ;-)

That saw goes for around $1000 which is high in my opinion but, at $300 I would definitely consider it. Its a nice saw, the price is right and your need is immediate. Sounds like a match to me unless you can wait and shop around without fear of missing the deal.

Michael Stanley
04-28-2009, 3:39 PM
I have had a 64a in my shop since 2000. It is a very well made and smooth running saw and certainly worth $300. Unless they use a different motor now it can be wired for 220v operation. If you need a saw quick, I would jump on it.

Jason Hallowell
04-28-2009, 9:20 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I just called and scheduled to pick it up in the morning.