PDA

View Full Version : New lathe - pics when it arrives!

Mike Minto
04-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Well, I've ordered a new lathe thru amazon - wife had to approve, of course, lol. I really wanted one with variable speed (currently using a 1624-44), but not having 220 power in my shop, or 'hut' as my wife calls it, limited me somewhat in my choices. I like many of the features my current lathe offers, particularly the swiveling headstock and large swing afforded by the outboard attachment, but changing belts is wearing on me (8 speeds for someone who is primarily a bowl/hollow form turner really means about 3 speeds, sometimes too slow, sometimes too fast). And there are always little problems which show up, like the power switch intermittently not working, and the tailstock keeper coming out of it's groove; repairs which displace that valuable commodity, 'turning time'. Would be a real treat to have a back-up. So, soon should be arriving a Jet 1014vs; can't wait! BTW, I also bought a Nova G-3 chuck, and the new Sorby aluminum handled micro turning tools - what do you all use with your mini lathes? mike :D

Steve Schlumpf
04-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Mike - don't have a mini but wanted to send congrats on ordering your new lathe! Looking forward to seeing photos once it arrives!

Terry Rothwell
04-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Congratulations.

Dave Schell
04-28-2009, 1:00 PM
Mike, congrats on the new lathe. However, I use to make alot of tool buying decisions on the fact that my show didn't have 220v outlets either. Then I got a couple of electrical wiring books from the library and studied them and found it is often a very simple matter to add 220v outlets. Especially if the breaker box is in close proximity. It's a simple matter of taking out a $6 110v breaker switch and plugging in a $6 220v breaker switch. Most 220v tools use two hot wires and a ground wire (no neutral wire needed) So it is essentially the same wire you have now only instead one wire is hot and one is neutral. Also, 220v circuits are usually dedicated circuits. I can't give you all the details here, but I would really encourage you to study the topic a bit and you might free yourself to a whole new level of tool buying. Good luck.

Bernie Weishapl
04-28-2009, 1:04 PM
Congrats on the lathe. I have the Jet 1220 VS and it works well. You are going to like the VS.

alex carey
04-28-2009, 1:11 PM
Congrats, good to hear the good news.

Mike Minto
04-28-2009, 1:53 PM
Dave - sounds interesting, I might look into it prior to getting that last, dream lathe one day. but regarding your comment, 'a whole new level of tool buying' - my wife won't like that one! LOL, Mike :D

Mike Minto
04-29-2009, 7:28 PM
Here's the lathe, pictured right after I removed it from the box; still not assembled, that will come this weekend, I suspect. No damage apparent to the lathe, although the box was a little rough looking and there was some damage to the styrofoam - guess it did it's job. With it is pictured the Teknatool/Nova G-3 chuck I got for it. Decided to stick with that brand, as I have a SuperNova2 for the larger lathe, and they will both accept the same jaw sets.

Roger Wilson
04-29-2009, 7:53 PM
what do you all use with your mini lathes? mike :D

I use full sized tools with my midi. If you are turning miniature stuff micro tools may be fine.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Mike,

I had a Jet 1014vs. I used my SN2 on it. I used regular tools and HF tools on it. I have a complete Jamieson HF rig I used on it. Sorby tools....I bought a set of "mini-tools" to use on pens. Gave that thought up really quick. I break those out only when I turn knobs for someone.

When I upgraded to a PM3502B....all of the tools I used on the Jet 1014..I use on the Mustard.

Bill Bolen
04-29-2009, 11:28 PM
Mike when I bought my vs mini the speed control box was attached. Have read Amazon reviews complaining that the box was broken off the lathe mount. I sure hope yours is not broken?!..Bill..

Mike Minto
04-30-2009, 9:06 AM
William, I've read some posts about that same issue. Fortunately, my control box was only scuffed some on the back - it was not attached; I had to secure it with 2 screws that came with the lathe; the only real 'damage' I've found so far is some chipped paint on the banjo - no biggie there. When I actually get a chance to put my hands on the thing for more than 5 minutes, I'll give it a better look. Mike ;)

Mauricio Ulloa
04-30-2009, 9:44 AM
Congratulations! I bought the same mini lathe 3 months ago and I'm still having lots of fun with it! It's a great machine that delivers great horsepower. Pretty reliable and always enjoyable!

Have fun and keep the shaves flying!!!!!!

Mike Minto
05-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Just a quick note - the lathe is performing great; have turned a couple of pens, and have found it is fantastic to have a second lathe in order to turn a collar or whatever else needs to be added on to what I'm turning on the big lathe - will post pics of what I mean soon (a 'dynamic redesign', haha). Mike

PS - Jet sent me a can of 'Jet' colored paint, very quickly and free of charge, to touch up the machine where it's chipped. Great service, WMH!