PDA

View Full Version : candle cups

jared herbert
04-28-2009, 7:56 AM
This is my first attempt at adding a picture to a post. Hope is comes through ok. My point is to show the candle cups that I made, in response to a post a couple of days ago about where to get them. The antlers, if they do show up, are all sheds that I have picked up over the years and I finally decided to do something with them. Jared

jared herbert
04-28-2009, 8:06 AM
Now that I can see that the picture came through ok I will go on to explain. The candle holders are made from 3/4 inch copper pipe caps. I drilled a hole in the cap and then soldered in a piece of 1/8 inch brazing rod. Then I drilled a 1/8 inch hole in the antler and epoxied the cup into the hole. Some candles fit a little loose so the next ones I make will be a little different. I will cut a short probably 1/2 inch or so of the 3/4 in copper pipe and use it as a bushing inside of the cap. I know it all sounds like a lot of fooling around but I have been looking for a source of decent candle cups for a long time and never really found any I like. These took me some time to make but I was able to use stuff that I had laying around to make them and I like to looks of them when it is all said and done. my wifes cat is in the background inspeciting and it passed his test. The antlers are just lashed together with #20 copper wire. They are all sheds that I have found over the years and I finally figured out a good way to display them. I polished them with my beal buffing set up first and they look real nice.Jared

Lee Mitchell
04-28-2009, 9:17 AM
Nice job! Both in the use of the antlers and your candle holders.

Tip: If the candles are a little loose, drip a little candle wax around the sides of the cups on the inside. Push in another candle while the wax is still soft. Give it a twist, then remove and let the wax harden. Repeat, if needed to build up the right thickness of wax around the inside.

Greg Deakins
04-28-2009, 9:56 AM
good tip Lee!