PDA

View Full Version : Captured Hollowing Rig

Cody Colston
04-27-2009, 10:58 PM
I've been doing all of my hollowing with the Sorby Hollowmaster. It has been great for getting in to making hollow form vessels but I'm now thinking of getting a captured system.

I wanted to wait until I got a bigger lathe but that's not happening this year so I'm going to have to make do with my Jet 1236. The Jameison system or the one from Monster Tools is what I've been leaning towards.

What does the group here recommend? I want something that I can upgrade to a bigger lathe someday, too. Should I just wait until that happens? Will I be wasting money on a hollowing rig now assuming I upgrade my lathe in a year or so?

All comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Steve Schlumpf
04-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Cody - I highly recommend Randy's Monster system! It is very high quality and something you will love to use. I would think - should you buy a larger lathe - the only part of the hollowing system that would need to be upgraded would be the base. Plus, should you also decide to pick up Randy's articulated system - all the cutters, attachments and laser fit. Both are great systems - which I am sure a lot of folks here will attest to!

Best of luck with your decision!

Be sure to ask if you have any questions on the system(s) I have. I love talking about them!

charlie knighton
04-28-2009, 1:16 AM
Jet 1236-- is that the ways 36" long, if it is it would be a little short or a tight fit for use with the elbo tool, not sure with other system

chuck 4", hollow form 6" to 10", elbo tool 24", headstock and tailstock,

add everything up before you buy

Don Eddard
04-28-2009, 1:57 AM
The 36" bed is plenty long for the Monster Articulated Arm. A lot of them are in use on 35" Powermatics.

I also highly recommend Randy's products. If you have questions or need something special, you can actually talk to the guy who's making your tool.

john taliaferro
04-28-2009, 8:52 AM
i have some of randys tools ,nice work we have a manual, and c&c machine shop. i could not build that qulity for that price. plus randys right their if ya need himto help you up size, they are verry nice people .

Ken Fitzgerald
04-28-2009, 10:32 AM
I have the complete Jamieson outfit.

Bob Hallowell
04-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Cody,
I have the monster and love it. But I am sure they will both be great. But with the monster you have the option to buy the bare Articulated arm later and use all you cutter from the captured rig. I plan on doing that in the future.

Bob

Burt Alcantara
04-28-2009, 11:23 AM
I originally bought the Monster articulated arm for my Nova 1624. There was no problem getting it to work on a 24" bed. I bought the 20" extension so I could leave the tailstock on and with a second base I just transfered the arm to the rear of the bed. The arm is kind of a fish out of water once it's off the lathe. The second base at the end of the bed solves this problem.

Now that I've been Mustardized, I have 2 bases for a 16" lathe. I'll probably use one for a stand (that I'll probably never build) that will hold the tailstock and arm.

However, if any of you guys out there are in need of a second base (16") for a Monster tool, drop me a PM.

Strangely enough, after using the arm for about a year, I've begun to manually hollow. I don't think I'lll every give up the concept of a captured system but manually hollowing gives a different kind of control and satisfaction.
Burt

Reed Gray
04-28-2009, 11:54 AM
I have the Monster for my PM, and got another base to go on my Robust. Randy also has a system for the mini lathes. The articulated systems really make hollowing easy. Finger tip pressure only for cutting which makes finish cuts much easier. For personal preference, I like the McNaughton hollowers. I find it easier to change cutters than to do multiple adjustments with the other style cutters. I already had adapter sleeves for my captured system (a home made rig) and had Randy make me an adapter for the Monster so I could use all my other cutters in it. The large McNaughton cutters are too long of a lever arm for the Monster, but the medium and smaller ones work great. The large Eliminator is also a bit long for the Monster, but the meduim and small work fine. The Monster is best for smaller forms up to 8 or so inched deep, and a bigger captures system for ones deeper than that.
robo hippy

Bernie Weishapl
04-28-2009, 1:11 PM
Another vote for Randy's Monster tools. I have both the captured rig and the articulating arm. Well built and a pleasure to use.

Ken Glass
04-28-2009, 5:24 PM
I use Randy's Monster system on my 3520b and find it extremely easy to use and easy to control with minimal chatter to about 12", without going to a larger diameter bar. The quality is superb.

BILL DONAHUE
04-28-2009, 6:31 PM
Another vote for the Monster Hollowing system. It's really terrific!

Tim Cleveland
04-28-2009, 6:44 PM
I have never used a captured system, so I really can't help with this very much. I have been very impressed with what I have seen and heard about the McNaughton system. I haven't ever seen the monster system (didn't even know about it until I became a member), could somebody post some pics of it?

Tim

Dick Strauss
04-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Tim,
Here is a link to Randy's hollowing rigs page (assume it is still allowed since I have no interest in his business)...I have yet to purchase from him but he seems like a good guy and his tools look first rate.

http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page6.html

Cody Colston
04-28-2009, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, all. Sounds like Randy's system is well liked around here. Not surprising since it seems to be well liked on every turning forum I visit.

Tim Cleveland
04-30-2009, 3:21 PM
Tim,
Here is a link to Randy's hollowing rigs page (assume it is still allowed since I have no interest in his business)...I have yet to purchase from him but he seems like a good guy and his tools look first rate.

http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page6.html

Thanks Dick, his stuff does look nice.

Tim