PDA

View Full Version : Houdini's Box

edward alexander
04-27-2009, 9:46 PM
The other night I was watching TV flipping through the channels and came across this magic show-they were doing that trick where the guy gets out of a locked wooden box-it's an old Houdini trick - the magician gets in a wooden box about a four ft x four ft cube,they put the top on and pad lock each side put a screen in front of the box (so you can't see)- say the magic words and the guy is out--
about 1974 I was a young woodworker living in Texas,me and my wife had drove to San Antonio about 80 mi. away , had a some cheese cake and coffee then took in a magic show--and they did that trick-after the show I went up to that box looked it up and down and just couldn't see how it was done,so I asked-I told the magician I was a woodworker and would like to know how it was done-- you know for my professional know how- -he said magic--so we drove home that night---it turn out the magic show (eight people,two vans) was from California and they were driving home doing gigs all the way back--well when they got just outside of my town that big box came off the top of the van as they were going down the highway--busted up-beyond repair -- so they get in town and start asking for a woodworker that can make that box for them---when I opened my front door to the knock I don't know who looked more surprised me are that magician--well I made the box and learned how the trick was done---sos hinges
alex .

travis howe
04-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Haha! Good story. Only would have been better if you could have rigged it not to work during the show and when they ask tell them it's a craftsman secret!:D

Phil Thien
04-27-2009, 10:19 PM
LOL. Awesome story. And why didn't I think of SOS hinges? That makes perfect sense.

Dewey Torres
04-28-2009, 1:02 AM
So Ed...
This happened in 1974 ...when I was 3 years old:rolleyes:... and you are just now posting it?:eek:

scott spencer
04-28-2009, 7:29 AM
Good story Ed!

On a side note, we used to be friend's with Marie Blood, who was Houdini's niece, and last relative to ever be photographed with him. She was pistol, and used to get paid for doing speaking engagements about Houdini. She was also friends with David Copperfield. She died in her 80's a couple of years ago.