PDA

View Full Version : Sad day in the shop, Goodbye old friend...

David Eisan
04-27-2009, 9:28 PM
Hello everyone,

I found him in a very sad state in an unheated outbuilding at the old Guelph correctional facility. He followed me home and I brought him back to health. New motor, arbour, bearings, fence, sliding table, starter, mobile base, splitter, slider, etc. Tomorrow he leaves the shop for good, although I will still him daily for awhile at work until he finds a new home.

He helped me build my parents kitchen, my kitchen, my kitchen table, vanities for this place among many other projects.

My wife looked at me like the idiot I am when I told her I was sad that my saw was leaving. She told me to keep it if I didn't want to see it go, but I am not sure how it would look in the living room. It has to go, I don't have the space for two saws.

Thanks for listening,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in mine I'm him.

Carroll Courtney
04-27-2009, 9:34 PM
I'm sure someone with help you out.Getting rid of the Saw Stop was a tuff decision,keeping the old Uni was an easy choice:D----Carroll

Mark Smith, too
04-27-2009, 9:38 PM
I see him looking a little ashamed at his new shop companion. Perhaps it is better for him to find a new place where he will not feel insignificant by comparison.

David DeCristoforo
04-27-2009, 9:39 PM
There's gotta be a couple hundred dozen guys on this forum that would love to provide a new home for that trusty Uni...

Peter Quinn
04-27-2009, 9:58 PM
I feel your pain, sort of. But not being a sentimental type I say heave ho to the uni...no...wait, I see two saws back to back, one a dedicated cross cut or dado set up, the other (probably the new one with the finger saver option) a ripper and general joinery machine. Come on man, there is plenty of room in there! Nothing a little creative reallocation of space can't solve. Maybe cut down the rails on the uni a bit. That green horn of a saw is going to need a veteran to show it the ropes.:D

Ron Bontz
04-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Well being fond of Mr. Uni myself you should just send it to me. But don't forget to send Mr. Jointer. Wouldn't want the Uni. to miss his straight line guy. :)

Jim Kountz
04-27-2009, 10:55 PM
So you were really attached to that Sawstop huh? Its alright that classic unisaw will get you through the change!!
That is what you meant right??

Dewey Torres
04-28-2009, 12:39 AM
I'm sure someone with help you out.Getting rid of the Saw Stop was a tuff decision,keeping the old Uni was an easy choice:D----Carroll

Just what I was going to say ROFLOL!:D

My Uni is here to stay !!!!

Steve Rozmiarek
04-28-2009, 2:09 AM
David, thats an easy dilema. Just put them back to back so they are each others outfeed table, then in a year or so, when you find that you really do prefer the old Uni, sell the SS. :D It would be sweet to have one dedicated rip, the other crosscut, or dado/combo, or maybe a dedicated grind dovetail blade in one, combo in the other.... shish, I need another tablesaw!

John Grossi
04-28-2009, 7:06 AM
David, after reading your post and seeing your pic, I don't understand getting rid of one of those saws. I worked in a shop that had a uni for the main saw, and an older Grizzley as a dedicated dado. I like the idea of putting them back to back, using them as outfeed tables, as long as you can work out the height issue.

Lee Mitchell
04-28-2009, 7:59 AM
I second, third, or whatever, the notion of putting them back to back! I'm drooling with ENVY that you have that option and I don't.

David Hostetler
04-28-2009, 8:58 AM
You DID know folks were gonna say the Sawstop was going right?

Honestly, congrats on the SS. Those are nice machines, there is a fellow on my main forum that could have used one last weekend... and now has a much shorter thumb because of thumb to blade interference with a normal saw...

I hate the business tactics of SS, and the pricing is certainly out of most people's reach, but if you can afford it, it's well worth it...

Greg Cole
04-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Congrats David.
I too felt a tug of sentimentality when I upgraded my TS last fall. I really wanted to keep the General, but a 2 car garage shop didn't agree. I had to move the old friend out of the shop.:(
But I still have her at the day job just sitting in a corner covered with a tarp and some anti corrosion goo, can't bring myself to sell it.... yet (going on 8-9 months later!).

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-28-2009, 12:11 PM
I'd be interested in reading your comparisons of the new to the old after several months with the new one.

Gary McKown
04-28-2009, 12:13 PM
I would engineer a Frankensaw - what happens when one just cannot part with an old friend. Actually, you wouldn't believe how convenient it is to have two TS options available.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/woodchuck06/Grizzman.jpg

Von Bickley
04-28-2009, 1:41 PM
I would have kept the Uni........ :confused:

Rod Sheridan
04-28-2009, 2:15 PM
Hello everyone,

I found him in a very sad state in an unheated outbuilding at the old Guelph correctional facility. He followed me home and I brought him back to health. New motor, arbour, bearings, fence, sliding table, starter, mobile base, splitter, slider, etc. Tomorrow he leaves the shop for good, although I will still him daily for awhile at work until he finds a new home.

He helped me build my parents kitchen, my kitchen, my kitchen table, vanities for this place among many other projects.

My wife looked at me like the idiot I am when I told her I was sad that my saw was leaving. She told me to keep it if I didn't want to see it go, but I am not sure how it would look in the living room. It has to go, I don't have the space for two saws.

Thanks for listening,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in mine I'm him.

That's sad alright, two cabinet saws and neither are Canadian!:eek:

Oh well, at least you got a SS:)

Regards, Rod.

David Christopher
04-28-2009, 2:29 PM
I would have kept the Uni........ :confused:

I'm with Von

David Eisan
04-28-2009, 6:02 PM
That's sad alright, two cabinet saws and neither are Canadian!:eek:

Oh well, at least you got a SS:)

Regards, Rod.

Ackshully, the Uni *is* Canadian. It was made in Guelph, Ontario, Canada.

David.

Jim Becker
04-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Well, you could do back to front "integration" for alternate bevel rips if they have alternative tilt directions... LOL (The gal who bought my Jet LT saw when I was getting my slider did exactly that with two saws in her studio)

Congratulations!

Rod Sheridan
04-29-2009, 8:35 AM
Ackshully, the Uni *is* Canadian. It was made in Guelph, Ontario, Canada.

David.

Oh, very good, I didn't realize it was that old.

My wife has a Rockwell lathe from Guelph..........Regards, Rod.