PDA

View Full Version : Question on wolverine base set up

skott nielsen
04-27-2009, 7:50 PM
I notice my grinding wheel wears unevenly sloping toward the side furthest from the motor. I suspect this is because my base is not perfectly perpendicular to the arbor. Any tricks for laying this out. I tried to drop a square off the wheel face to get the correct line but I don't think I got it. I was thinking of maybe mounting a square piece of 1 inch thick MDF to the wheel and index the base that way but wonder if you all have discovered a good way to get this just so.

Bernie Weishapl
04-27-2009, 7:55 PM
One question I would have is are you using a diamond wheel dresser to keep your stone square and clean? When I have did a lot of sharpening I always dress the stone to keep it square. Here is what I use.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=124670&FamilyID=223

skott nielsen
04-27-2009, 8:01 PM
Yes i have a dressser that indexes against the back of the tool rest platform which of course reproduces any error of the base alignment that is present.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-27-2009, 9:35 PM
Scott,

While it may be sloping, your dressing tool is insuring that the surface of the stone is perpendicular to the tool rest base. And...that is a good thing. Obviously you'd like to have the tool rest base/Wolverine base perpendicular to the motor shaft but the primary importance is that the face of the stone is perpendiuclar and yours is.

I use the Wolverine dressing tool which does the same thing..guarantees the face of the grinding wheel is perpendicular to the tool base.

I think you should be good to go.