PDA

View Full Version : Multimat or alternative

kevin leasure
04-27-2009, 6:37 PM
Hey guys, i am toying with the idea of getting a multimat from laserbits. anyone ever use one, any opinions, or cheaper alternatives.i am doing a lot of foam,leather,and fabric cuts and think something like this would be helpful. let me know what ya think. thanks alot

Kevin

Keith Outten
04-27-2009, 10:12 PM
A muitimat is a good product for some materials and absolutely useless for others IMO. For instance I tried to use a multimat to engrave Alumamark, it was a huge mistake. Alumamark will adhere to the multimat so strongly that it is impossible to remove from the mat without destroying the Alumamark. On the other hand most plastics work well on both laser and rotary engravers.

Rodne Gold
04-28-2009, 2:43 AM
Wont the laser "cut" into the multimat too if you doing cuts? Surely thats not a good thing?

kevin leasure
04-28-2009, 9:02 PM
From what i can understand, the mat is heat resistant, and laser resistant. have very little experience with one that a partner had. i am just wondering if there is any kind of other item that could replace it. or what are other guys using to cut thin materials on, its tuff for me as the materials never wanna lay flat on my pin table when i turn my vent blower on. any help would be great.

Peter Meacham
04-29-2009, 12:33 AM
Rowmark makes a simular mat, much less money that the multi-mat. They call it the Fat-mat

http://www.rowmark.com/fatmat/fatmat.asp

Mike Null
04-29-2009, 4:48 AM
I have not heard of anybody using this material in a laser. I have a similar material for plastic and metal for my Newing-Hall engraver but would not have thought to use it in the laser.

My thinking is the same as Rodney's. BTW, I am in touch with other engraving businesses and not aware of any other them using this in their lasers.

nancy barry
04-29-2009, 8:32 AM
I am not sure what a multi-matt is. I use that Gripper stuff that one uses to open a jar lid on my laser table when I am doing small pieces of glass. It protects the surface that is "down" and also keeps the small bits from moving around.. Rubbermaid shelf liner open weave 'fabric" stuff works well also.

HTH, nancyB

George Brown
04-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Here's some info on the multimat used with the laser.

Sorry I can't post the other one, too big. Basically it says it is ok to use with the laser. If anyone wants the file, pm me and I'll send it via email.

Rodne Gold
04-29-2009, 10:38 AM
Its ok to use a hold down , I use that with some of our smaller puterised machines , but its not ok to use it to hold something down and cut thru the object with a laser

George Brown
04-29-2009, 12:06 PM
but its not ok to use it to hold something down and cut thru the object with a laser

This one they claim it is ok to cut through the lasered stock. It does not cut into the hold down material to any significant extent.

Anthony Welch
04-29-2009, 5:52 PM
$190 for a 12x24 with a life expectancey(sp.) of 9-12 months if properly cared for. No thanks. :eek:

Now if this was a self healing mat for vector cuts that would help disipate the heat and smoke from the back of acrylic and had a longer life expectancey. That would be more like it.:D

Anthony

Tony Lenkic
04-29-2009, 6:15 PM
I am using Multi-mat for a long time.
On rotary machine to hold multiple 1.5" aluminum disks for burnishing.
In laser to hold down Rowmak Laser Thins for engraving and kiss cutting.

Keith, if you by alumamark with adhesive pre-applied it comes of easy from multi-mat. Done it many times with strips of alumamark 3/8" or less as well as larger plates.

If cutting of plastics or wood is required adjust your speed and power not to cut to deep and you will be fine. I do this with masking on the front of material and cut from back as Rowmark suggests for ADA signs.

Keith Outten
04-29-2009, 7:27 PM
Thanks Tony, I'll remember to order adhesive backed Alumamark the next time I need material.