PDA

View Full Version : 15" Planer Help

Brian Riley
08-04-2004, 1:38 PM
As some may know I'm in the process of upgrading / adding shop tools. Right now I'm at the decision making process in regards to the planer. Currently I have the Delta 22-580 "benchtop" model where I have made a nice roll-around cart with large infeed / outfeed tables. I have been thinking of upgrading to a 15" floor model and was looking for input as to whether it is worth the money. The specific model I looked at was the Delta 22-780X. I prefer to have the cutter head raise and lower as opposed to the table. Any experince with this one or any other planers would be appreciated - or if it's just a waste of cash.

BTW - I will be upgrading the 6" jointer to an 8".

Thanks again,
Brian

Jim Becker
08-04-2004, 2:16 PM
Honestly, you'll get a far better "finish" from your current machine than a "stationary" planer unless you opt for a spiral cutter head. If you run a LOT of material, than the heavier machine is very nice (and a little quieter...but that's relative). You'll also have to deal with knife setting and sharpening which you don't have to do now and potentially loose the storage space you have in your present planer cabinet. (If you don't have room to keep it in the shop after adding the larger planer)

OK, I have a nice heavy planer as part of my 14" J/P combo, but I bought it primarily for the wide jointing capabilty and got a nice planer the same width thrown in. I did unload my "portable" planer to another woodworker because I didn't have the space for it. But I also can no longer take very tiny cuts due to marking by the metal rollers...hence, the drum sander addition to my shop. The bottom line is that big tools have great advantages and sometimes some disadvantages. The portable planers are one of those unique tools that sometimes have advantages over their cast iron siblings, especially in the hobbiest shop.

That said, the Delta you are looking at is a good tool...it's been around "forever" and is proven.

Shelley Bolster
08-04-2004, 2:44 PM
Hi Brian, just a few weeks ago I was also considering an up-grade from my Delta 12 1/2" to a 15. I decided to stay with the 12 1/2" for 2 reasons - $$ and performance. I've had my planer for 7 1/2 years now and it has seen a few lifts of rough lumber and it is still planing as good as the day I bought it - it just won't die! (knock on wood) They way I looked at it, I could buy five 12 1/2" for the price of one 15", (only 2 1/2" more width) and if they too lasted 7+ years, that would give me 35+ years of planing! :rolleyes: If I had the $$ to get a 20", then I might consider an upgrade but for only 2 1/2"more, I'll stick with my portable bench top and when the time comes, replace it with the same.
Shelley

Ed Falis
08-04-2004, 2:51 PM
...But I also can no longer take very tiny cuts due to marking by the metal rollers...hence, the drum sander addition to my shop.

Jim,

If this is your main criticism of the larger planer, isn't really a product-specific one? I have an old stationary 13" Foley-Belsaw molder/planer with rubber rollers, and don't have the problem you're describing. I'm not up enough on currently available 15" planers to know whether they all have metal rollers or not, though.

- Ed

Joe Scarfo
08-04-2004, 2:58 PM
I prefer my 15" planer over the smaller ones. It's handy for running larger items through before final sanding. I've run everything from panels for cabinetry to parts for urns through mine.

I mounted mine to a wooden cabinet w/ rollers which provides for a little storage below.

Good Luck w/ your choice.

Tks
Joe

Jim Becker
08-04-2004, 3:34 PM
If this is your main criticism of the larger planer, isn't really a product-specific one? I have an old stationary 13" Foley-Belsaw molder/planer with rubber rollers, and don't have the problem you're describing. I'm not up enough on currently available 15" planers to know whether they all have metal rollers or not, though.
You bring up a good point, Ed. Most of the 15" planers I've seen have the metal rollers and on many/most/all of them, they are even "adjustable"...you can move the serated roller out of the way, give some time, etc. My appologies for not acknowledging that in my previous post...it really is relevant.

I know it's strange coming from "me", being a big-iron oriented woodworker, but I find that a heavy, wide jointer is far more important than a heavy planer these days. The so-called "portable" planers have really gotten very, very good. In fact, if I had scored the old Northfield 12" jointer I was trying to get from the local community college, I would likely still be happily using the Delta 22-560 12.5" planer I used to own (sold it to Noah) and once I eventually killed it, would likely have upgraded to the 22-580 or DW735 or similar rather than opt for a stationary planer. Of course, with the FS350, I got both and the point is moot... :p

Mike Keating
08-04-2004, 3:40 PM
Hello,

I was lucky and was able to pick up a used 15 inch planer. It cost about the same as a portable planer and I figured I would not have to worry about upgrading in the future.
I must say I love the machine and it has outperformed my wildest dreams. It has seen alot of use since I have had it and I can not complain one bit about the quality of the cut. It even has 2 speeds (I am not sure if this is standard on these models).

I would suggest even looking for a used machine, you can get some nice deals. I got the 15" Grizzly. Bringing my total to 5 major Grizzly machines.

Hope this helps. Just my .02

Mike

Brian Hale
08-04-2004, 4:45 PM
Brian
I'm curious why you perfer having the cutter head move as opposed to the bed. When i researched my 15" planer i understood that it was eaiser to change knives on the models where the head was stationary.

I can see the advantage of setting up in/out feed tables and not having to change them but i (in my limited use thus far) haven't found this to be a big hassle.

A couple folks suggested that snipe was reduced with the stationary head but i didn't see that mentioned very much.

Just curious....

Brian

Mike Cutler
08-04-2004, 6:16 PM
Brian. I have the Jet 15" Planer. It's a big monster at 550lbs. I bought this planer because the deal was too good to pass up( Out the door and in the truck brand new for $750.00). I'm not quite sure I understand Jim's comment about the portables giving better results, but when I got mine there was no comparison between a portable and the 15" Jet. However, since then the portables have come a longggg way.
If I was looking to buy a planer and upgrade a jointer at the same time, I might be inclined to put my cash toward an even bigger jointer and go with a "portable" planer.The Dewalt is getting very favorable reviews here and on other boards.
The Delta that you mentioned is a very nice machine, and having the cutter head move and the bed stationary is very nice. Being able to setup an infeed and outfeed table once is a nice arrangement. Setting the knives on bigger planers is a pita, no matter what in my opinion.
Bottom line, If your current planer is meeting your needs, keep it and buy a bigger jointer.You don't always have to plane a board, but you generally have to joint it. I have a 6" jointer and when it gets upgraded it will be to a 12". My .02 or.03 fwiw

Tim Sproul
08-05-2004, 11:40 AM
I think the biggest question you have to answer is how long you anticipate running the thicknesser at a time. Do you only mill a few boards at a time? Or, do you need the planer to run continuously for an entire day....several days in a row? I run the planer continuously when I'm milling lumber to make moldings or if I've got a large piece to make. I've only had the 15 inch Jet but I'd be leery of running a universal motor for 12 hours, nearly continuously.

Cut quality isn't much of an issue to me.....Either hand plane or sand the surface after 4 square milling.

And I find the thicknesser more of a "necessity" than the power jointer.....I try to avoid bowed or twisted boards. The thicknesser will remove cup without needing the jointer.

Regarding snipe....once I set the infeed/outfeed rollers properly, I have no noticeable snipe. I'm sure there is some there but not enough that it remains after final surfacing by hand.

Knife changes are a PITA. So much so that after one change, I went and got ESTA's posi-set knife system....similar to Tersa...an indexed, disposable knife system.

A big disadvantage of the stationary thicknesser - they require a dedicated amount of floor space. The "portables" may not be very portable but can be put away on a benchtop or at least affixed to a cart that doubles as additional storage. This "disadvantage" is obviously dependent upon the amount of shop space you have.

Alan Turner
08-05-2004, 12:16 PM
I have the WoodTEk 20", mobile, and it has been a decent planer for me. Lives agaisnt the wall till I need it. I do get the serrated metal marks Jim mentions if I try to take off less than ."020, so sometimes I need to sneak up on a thickness, and make the last pass at a 1/3 of a turn.

I like the fact that there are rollers on the top to pass lumber back to the infeed side. Very hand in a space challenged shop.

I think it was about $1200, which is not too far from the price of the 15", I think. But, as all know, a 24" would sure be nicer. Problem is that I can't get it throgh the door and down the basement steps, and an outside entrance is really expensive.

Knives are not hard to set. They are indexed off of the head.
Alan

Clint deal
08-05-2004, 12:20 PM
I bought a North State 15" planer several years ago and still love it. It was sitting between a Jet and a Delta on the showroom floor. It was about $500 cheaper than either one. I compared them all and I still believe they came off the same assembly line. The only differences are the color and the motor. Mine is a 3hp and does anything I want it too do. If you learn to sharpen your own blades and take the tie to set up the machine real good the quality of cut is not an issiue.
I sold my Ryobi 10" as soon as I set this one up and have'nt looked back. I've saved alot of money and time over the years by buying cheaper rough cut lumber.
Mine as the adjustable cutter head and I like it in case I wanted to build infeed and outfeed table, even though I have'nt. I put mine on a moble base and pull it out when I need it, turn on the dust collector with the long ranger and plane lumber
Clint

Brian Riley
08-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll hold onto the planer I have for now. That's money that can go towards something I don't already. Later down the road, when the shop is done, I can re-visit the planer upgrade and see where things stand at that point.Brian